• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what does it mean to suggest? I don't think any signal is illegal for MQA. It just needs to be in the encodable space, which OP failed to conform to. That's why the decoder spat out 11 of his 13 files.

This is getting surreal. I'm not the one who's saying the signal was - choose whatever term you like - illegal/not-real-music/not-what-the-encoder-was-designed-for. MQA is saying that. You're not understanding the conversation here.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No I didn't say you get the final unfold. Just the first unfold. To get the 2nd unfold I guess you need to record analog. But since MQA says ADC are messed up, you can never do it!
But this makes the test useless? You couldn't make any conclusion.
Using IIS capture or ADC, at least I can make conclusion if the result is bad enough.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, that has been my argument so far: I take issue with their marketing.

But I am also disagreeing with your usage of the word "lossless" for the same reasons.

Not sure what "virtue signaling" has anything to do with any of this.
You can't tell if something is lossy, if its losses are below your system's ability to reproduce it.

It will be identical to mathematically lossless to your system and by definition, to you.

Once distortion/lossyness is below 120dB, it just doesn't matter.

Last edited:

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
This is getting surreal. I'm not the one who's saying the signal was - choose whatever term you like - illegal/not-real-music/not-what-the-encoder-was-designed-for. MQA is saying that. You're not understanding the conversation here.
Quite the opposite, sadly.

MQA will not encode high amplitude utrasonics, as they don't exist in music, at least with an automatic encoder.

Do you understand? If not, read the first word and see if you do. Proceed to the next word and repeat.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using IIS capture or ADC, at least I can make conclusion if the result is bad enough.
Yes but when the results show differences you will never convince those that are in love with the slow reconstruction filter that the MQA is the inferior one.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
None whatsoever. Just learning. Absorbing even.

…while considering checking the wellbeing of pickled Mother in the freezer.
Ok. I guess that's just a morbid joke...

You are not trying to scare me of, are you?

Last edited:

lucretius

I don't think you can fully decode unless you make hardware to recapture the iis signal on the board. And there needs to be MQA filtering in the DAC.

Sure, without a full hardware decoder, (beyond the first unfold) you will not get any of the upsampling and the leaky MQA filters.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way @mansr did this a long time ago. The decoded MQA tracks PCM pretty well to 44KHz or 48KHz. But the rendereed MQA (2nd unfold) does not. So this I think would be typical.
From https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/page/185/
1622430447595.png

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Sure, without a full hardware decoder, (beyond the first unfold) you will not get any of the upsampling and the leaky MQA filters.
So leave them out. Focus on the MQA core process. Mansr grudgingly admitted in PFM that the core process is probably transparent.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
By the way @mansr did this a long time ago. The decoded MQA tracks PCM pretty well to 44KHz or 48KHz. But the rendereed MQA (2nd unfold) does not. So this I think would be typical.
From https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/page/185/
View attachment 132828
I would caution that Mansr's software decoder is based on Bluesound's firmware from several years ago.

Also, capturing rendered MQA is tricky at best.

All more reason to contribute to Amir's MQA mastering project!

Give 'till it hurts!

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Obviously, you didn't read the theorem I posted. Audio is not like video in this regard.
I see what you mean and thank you for patiently sticking with me. I appreciate it, I do. Like I said, aerospace, not EE, so I am learning. The only meaningful difference would be dynamic range. But that is also a big deal, as Amir has pointed out.

Outside of this reasoned technical debate, though, CD release is by no means bit-perfect, mathematically lossless to the master. This is what all lay audiophiles want.

Disagree?

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would caution that Mansr's software decoder is based on Bluesound's firmware from several years ago.

Also, capturing rendered MQA is tricky at best.

All more reason to contribute to Amir's MQA mastering project!

Give 'till it hurts!
OK maybe I should not have said it s typical. Maybe the decoder gets updated. Maybe analog output varies all over the place depending on the DAC. So then which is the authentic sound heard in the studio?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite the opposite, sadly.

MQA will not encode high amplitude utrasonics, as they don't exist in music, at least with an automatic encoder.

Do you understand? If not, read the first word and see if you do. Proceed to the next word and repeat.

Here's a word for you: dilettante.

Beyond that, I'm content to let anyone who's interested read our exchanges - and your quite entertaining attempt to try to tell @lucretius what lossiness is - and decide for themselves who does, and who does not, understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom