• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface Gen 3 Review

digicidal

Major Contributor
Walls!!! Don't forget the thick aluminum walls inside!
(Edit to add photo.)

View attachment 41141
Overpriced as they may be... I definitely can't fault MSB for the build quality on any of their products. I just wish the cost was about 85% less. ;)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And the Motu M2 is a very recent offering. I too would probably choose it over a 2i2 or 2i4 at the moment if in the market for such a thing. Motu M4 is from the same family of products as well.

bennetng

Major Contributor
And the Motu M2 is a very recent offering. I too would probably choose it over a 2i2 or 2i4 at the moment if in the market for such a thing. Motu M4 is from the same family of products as well.
M2 also has more features as well:
index.php

m2_rear_2.png

shuri

Steinberg has their new UR revisions as well. I got the UR22C to tidy up my previous setup with a yamaha mixer I had channel imbalance and noise issues with.
I think some russian site measured the 44C having a SNR of 90dB or something.. There was a link in a gearslutz thread.
Good headphone out though. Pushes my 250ohm beyers to ear hurting levels at 12 o' clock.
steinberg_ur22c_3-1000x1000.png

raif71

Major Contributor
Pity the headphone power is bad...the trs outputs at the back would be ideal with trs-xlr cables to my monitors. My monitors have rca, trs and xlr inputs...the rca and trs are being used so just looking for an amp that has balanced out to be connected to the monitors. I was also considering the aune s7 (or pro) but the xlr outs are in front of the unit. Anyone know of a good amp with xlr balanced out at the back of the unit?

Bamboszek

Aune s7 XLR outputs are for headphones. Using them for as line level isn't really best idea.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
the trs outputs at the back would be ideal with trs-xlr cables to my monitors

That's exactly how I have my Mackie's connected to Focusrite now. :)

raif71

Major Contributor
That's exactly how I have my Mackie's connected to Focusrite now. :)
I see. Cool. Mine is an Eris. Do you also use the headphone out and if you do, do you find it lacking? My local audio shop has both Focusrite and Steinberg, planning to demo them.

nintendoeats

Thanks for doing this review! It's really nice to see where the 2i2 really fits in. If I were in a professional recording studio, I would probably not be satisfied with this performance (since I would need to do lots of signal processing, and so need significantly better performance for audible transparency). For the home user, it seems like the 2i2 is a step beyond "just good enough" which is a nice place for a budget interface to be.

starfly

Forum Donor
I had no idea Motu released a new series of interfaces. Currently still using the Scarlett 2i2 Gen 1. Been wanting to replace it for a while with something "better", but all the Motu gear I just found too expensive. But this new entry-level stuff should be good, with good driver support (someting most of the other brands lack). Just ordered the M4!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I had no idea Motu released a new series of interfaces. Currently still using the Scarlett 2i2 Gen 1. Been wanting to replace it for a while with something "better", but all the Motu gear I just found too expensive. But this new entry-level stuff should be good, with good driver support (someting most of the other brands lack). Just ordered the M4!
Would you do some loop back measurements when you receive it? Like using arta or rew?

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do we know what kind of performance differrence there is between the different versions (1, 2 and 3)? Perhaps most importantly differences to the ADC and mic pre-amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Do we know what kind of performance differrence there is between the different versions (1, 2 and 3)? Perhaps most importantly differences to the ADC and mic pre-amp
As far as I know all three versions measure very similarly.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using the Scarlett 2i4 with Windows 10 volume control at 80% for Youtube, Bandcamp, etc.
Do you think 100% would be ok, or a bit less is safer, according to those measurements?

starfly

Forum Donor
I've been using the Scarlett 2i4 with Windows 10 volume control at 80% for Youtube, Bandcamp, etc.
Do you think 100% would be ok, or a bit less is safer, according to those measurements?

My understanding is that you want the Windows volume to always be at 100%, and just regulate the volume with the external DAC's volume control. But my understanding could be wrong :)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I see. Cool. Mine is an Eris. Do you also use the headphone out and if you do, do you find it lacking? My local audio shop has both Focusrite and Steinberg, planning to demo them.

I use headphones out only for monitoring purposes (while recording podcasts) with my Audio Technica ATH-M30x headphones. For normal listening I don't see any reasons to use this weak headamp.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say it depends on your headphones sensivity & impedance.

For instance, AKG K701 have a sensitivity of 92 dB for 1mW and an impedance of 62 ohm.

So it would be in-between Amir's too graphs: between 33 and 300 ohm.

You can see that you can still achieve a lof of SPL with 1mW and with quite low distortion.

Top Bottom