• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 4th Gen

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
4i4 4th gen is still ~50mW into 32 ohms.

It's 2023: we have dual CS43131 dongles with ~250mW balanced into 32 ohms (Tanchjim Space, Truthear Shio), or small desktop HP amps or DAC+amps with 1+ W (3.4W on Topping L30 II, 1.3W on SMSL C200).

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
In an audio interface, the headphone out is just one of many features, in BOM cost as well as power budget. They'll be erring on the side of good enough rather than overkill. (I mean, if Focusrite thought they'd get away with a lone NJM8065 on the 3rd gen...) Nobody uses hard-to-drive orthos like HE-6s to record anyway. Normal 97 dB/mW cans will get to 110 dB SPL with 20 mW, so if you can hit that reliably with low distortion across a typical impedance range (say 32-300 ohms at least) you'll generally be fine.

jk-hpout-3.png

thulle

@[2:53] He requests the possibility to control the other outputs from the main volume control, wonder if that's just not exposed in the software or if it's removed in the 4i4. On my 18i20 3rd gen every output has a toggle to switch if they follow the volume knob or not. Shows up in ALSA on Linux, so no custom software needed even.

LunaRay

I want only power my speakers and headphones (hd600 and dt1990), so:

Focusrite 4gen or audient id4 mk2?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I want only power my speakers and headphones (hd600 and dt1990), so:

Focusrite 4gen or audient id4 mk2?
The Audient has a bit over twice the power of the Focusrite 4i4. Of course that is only 3 db louder. The Focusrite has lower output impedance, but with the phones you have not an issue.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Previously I've got Mbox Studio, is this will be noticeable downgrade?
Just for headphones, no, though the Mbox specs are a tiny bit more power. Not sure why you would switch if the Mbox is doing what you need.

LunaRay

And what about speaker output? Can this be the same quality?

As always mbox is almost 900$ and Audient id4 mk2 is 200$

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And what about speaker output? Can this be the same quality?

3 db lower output from 4i4. Not a big difference. Whether it matters depends upon the speakers. Probably not an issue.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
That's comparing apples and oranges, mind you. In terms of available I/O, the Mbox Studio is much more comparable to a Clarett+ 4Pre ($700 retail, now $600, and IMHO a better performer though obviously the ergonomics are totally different). It has 4 Mic/Line/Inst inputs plus 4 line-ins, two sets of monitor outputs and two independent headphone outputs, FX send/return, plus SPDIF I/O and ADAT input.

The closest competitor with desk-style interface I can find is the Arturia Audiofuse Studio, which is a hair cheaper than the Mbox Studio over here but $1000 in the US.

The iD4 Mkii has 1 Mic/Line + 1 instrument (guitar) input, 1 set of monitor outputs and 1 headphone output across two different jacks (with different output impedance if memory serves?). It's basically the fancy hopped-up version of a Scarlett Solo. If all you needed was that, why would you have bought an Mbox Studio to begin with? Wrong tool for the job.

Not to mention that this kind of money would easily buy a fantastic DAC/amp plus a solid enough audio interface for your recording needs.

Last edited:

LunaRay

I know I know,

But I use only outputs for my monitors + 2 pairs of headphones because I'm a professional mixer.

Mbox was just borrowed for a few months.

So I care only about speakers and headphone output currently.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO if you are a pro you deserve to invest in better gear. This is more targeted as entry level and mid level AFAIK.

LunaRay

yeah, but for some time Im on budget, and I work in few different location, so that's why I'm asking

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Unless your headphones are very impedance-critical, I'd say the iD4 MkII should work fine for you. It's a good bit above average in the headphone department, particularly at mid-high impedances. (I just hope your two cans aren't wildly different in sensitivity.) A level of +12 dBu on the monitor out should still be plenty high enough, too, and output noise should be so low that you'll only be hearing what the monitors themselves generate.

If one of your headphones happens to be a model that you can inexpensively get a good balanced cable for, something like this would be another option, also $200-ish:

LunaRay

Unless your headphones are very impedance-critical, I'd say the iD4 MkII should work fine for you. It's a good bit above average in the headphone department, particularly at mid-high impedances. (I just hope your two cans aren't wildly different in sensitivity.) A level of +12 dBu on the monitor out should still be plenty high enough, too, and output noise should be so low that you'll only be hearing what the monitors themselves generate.

If one of your headphones happens to be a model that you can inexpensively get a good balanced cable for, something like this would be another option, also $200-ish:
Wonderful! Thank you so much! Amazing!!!

Brontolo

Hi guys,

Need a bit of advice here: I'm planning to buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 4th Gen. It's been awhile that I'd liked to improve my sound system on my PC with a DAC and I was looking at the likes of Topping and such. But recently I've bought also a DJ Controller (Pioneer DDJ-FLX4) so I also needed something with extra input (and to record my set) to avoid plugging in and out the line output to the speakers.

So I was wondering if the Scarlett 2i2 4th Gen is right for me: the DAC should be good for general use, and the idea is to use the 2 XLR inputs as channel right and left of the output of my Pioneer DDJ-FLX4 RCA out (via converter) when I want to mix a little bit.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Brontolo

Hi Analog, actually recording the set is sort of a plus: you can do that via usb as you suggested with the pioneer program (rekordbox).
The main thing for me is having a nice DAC, finally, and also the possibility to keep everything plugged instead of having to constantly plug and unplug cables...

Top Bottom