• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface Gen 3 Review

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen and an AKG K701. It drives it to loud levels.

See attached the convolution file I use in EqualizerAPO to EQ it.

Attachments

• AKG_K701-441.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 167

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
My Solo Gen3's volume knob can not be used above 2 o clock due to increase in distortions.

Like I said, K701 is not meant to be driven by Focusrite interfaces; there is sound coming up from them, but that doesn't means it sounds as it should be. These cans need an amp able to deliver at least 4V RMS free of distortions to be sure the music will sound loud and free of distortions. Basically, I'm mostly referring to an amp having at least 2X of gain, because in real life we're not feeding the amp with 2V RMS. :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Solo Gen3's volume knob can not be used above 2 o clock due to increase in distortions.

Like I said, K701 is not meant to be driven by Focusrite interfaces; there is sound coming up from them, but that doesn't means it sounds as it should be. These cans need an amp able to deliver at least 4V RMS free of distortions to be sure the music will sound loud and free of distortions. Basically, I'm mostly referring to an amp having at least 2X of gain, because in real life we're not feeding the amp with 2V RMS. :)

I agree that I wouldn't purchase a Scarlett 2i2 for its headphones amp. But if someone needs a DAC/ADC and several outputs including headphones out, I would recommend it, and advise to try the headphones out before buying an extra amp like a JDS Lab Atom (which I also have in another room).

Evgeniy

Noise level sharply rises above 28 kHz. This is a feature of many DACs where noise in audible band is pushed into ultrasonics. The levels though seem low rising to "only" -85 dB. But that is misleading because FFT analysis artificially lowers the noise output of the device under test.

it's typical spectre of noise from dsd64 (converted to dsd64) sound, without digital or analog filters at 30-50 khz.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Great, I put this on my wish list for Xmas, and I then found the review, Great present :)

Panelhead

Forum Donor
The Clarett range offer better performance with much higher price point. I use Clarett 4Pre (original Thunderbolt connection).
Ran tests with REW and Mac Mini. Posted plots on a REW thread and got comments the numbers were too good. One said the output of the Mini was feeding back in, bypassing the Clarett. Loopback. Even when I used an analog Akitka signal generator to supply a fixed frequency 1 KHz sine wave. That was Akitka to ADC to DAC back to ADC to sound card in Mac Mini. This was lower distortion and noise floor than Mac Mini to Dac to ADC to Mac Mini. But the 79.00 Akitka misbehaved as output level was increased.
These are my first Focusrite products. People who use them say they are always exceed specifications. Both my units do. I think if I had good rig for testing the results would be better.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
M2 also has more features as well:

m2_rear_2.png

I wish I had seen that earlier. RCA outputs and balanced outputs at that price is a really nice feature.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I agree that I wouldn't purchase a Scarlett 2i2 for its headphones amp. But if someone needs a DAC/ADC and several outputs including headphones out, I would recommend it, and advise to try the headphones out before buying an extra amp like a JDS Lab Atom (which I also have in another room).

Does the latest version still switch the headphone monitor to mono while recording? The workaround is to use an AP that plays back what you are recording in duplex mode and turn off the headphone monitor.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the latest version still switch the headphone monitor to mono while recording? The workaround is to use an AP that plays back what you are recording in duplex mode and turn off the headphone monitor.
I didn't notice that.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I didn't notice that.

The EMU 0204 had a stereo/mono button on the front panel, apparently musicians doing an overdub or mix like to use the mono setting (?). I just like to listen when doing vinyl rips.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The EMU 0204 had a stereo/mono button on the front panel, apparently musicians doing an overdub or mix like to use the mono setting (?). I just like to listen when doing vinyl rips.
From the picture, it seems like it isn't there anymore.

Aid

I got the previous (2nd generation) 2i2.
What I did to power my HD6XX headphones (300ohms) is connected the 2i2 to a Liquid Spark headphones amp (TSs to RCAs) and connected the monitors to the Liquid Spark’s preamp outputs (RCAs to RCAs).

Now the amp is switching between headphones and monitors. When headphones are plugged in it plays headphones only. When headphones are plugged out it plays monitors only.

Since the 2i2 volume knob affects the volume even though it’s going through the 2i2’s back TRS outputs into the Liquid Spark, I understand that, quality wise, it’s best to bring the 2i2 volume knob to the max volume and control the volume only through the Liquid Spark.

Last edited:

rickmcinnis

I have been using one of these for a couple of years with REW.

I have also used it as a DAC and found it to be surprisingly good.

I do not know how difficult it would be with USB C cable since I have never seen one but with my gen 2 i spliced into the cable so I could power it with a very rudimentary EBAY/China regulated supply and can say the difference was worth the trouble. Took the thing up a few notches. Who knows what it might do with a SALAS shunt supply ...

I have a SOEKRIS 1941 and I am amazed how close they can be. They dio not sound the same - the SOEKRIS has less electricity sound to it, mellower, but there is nothing obnoxious about the SCARLETT at all. One can enjoy listening to it for hours. Makes for a good back up DAC and continues to be my REW workhorse.

bennetng

Major Contributor

Hunter_TJ

So I am interested in using this in conjunction with the Schiit Magni Heresy for my headphones; I would like something that doubles as a decent dac and can handle XLR mic input. Would this be a decent buy?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
With it's 102dB SINAD it's pretty good; you will 2V RMS with the volume knob at 2 o'clock and 4V RMS with the volume knob at almost 5 o'clock on the balanced TRS outputs. Do not connect mono TRS, because you might destroy the internal opamps from the output buffer! Keep in mind that the headphones amplifier will only work with sensitive monitoring headphones and you will not be able to use it properly with audiophile headphones (this is the noisiest headamp I've ever head and it also has a rather high THD too, so you can't use it with IEMs and not with hard-to-drive cans neither).

The latest Clarett generation would be a bit better in terms of SINAD and headphones amplifiers, but still latest Motu and RME rulez in this area.

Hunter_TJ

With it's 102dB SINAD it's pretty good; you will 2V RMS with the volume knob at 2 o'clock and 4V RMS with the volume knob at almost 5 o'clock on the balanced TRS outputs. Do not connect mono TRS, because you might destroy the internal opamps from the output buffer! Keep in mind that the headphones amplifier will only work with sensitive monitoring headphones and you will not be able to use it properly with audiophile headphones (this is the noisiest headamp I've ever head and it also has a rather high THD too, so you can't use it with IEMs and not with hard-to-drive cans neither).

The latest Clarett generation would be a bit better in terms of SINAD and headphones amplifiers, but still latest Motu and RME rulez in this area.

I would be using the HD650's. I think I might stay away from my previous idea and go with a dedicated dac and an audio interface more focused on an XLR input instead of cutting corners. Appreciate you taking the time to help! That was very informative.

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
But as long as you're using a TRS-stereo to RCA adapter to feed the Schiit Heresy I don't really see any downsize to Scarlett/Heresy combo when using HD650. Also, the XLR-mic input on Scarlett is quite low-noise and pretty good as a mic-preamp, so you might give it a try after all.

Top Bottom