• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA Adapter Review

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 121 82.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But if you don't have a ground loop issue, IDk why you would need the tranformer. Benchmark and Emotiva make XLR to RCA cable that leave the inverting output (pin 3) unconnected, rather than shorting it to ground. I use this in my system to connect my Octo DAC 8 outputs to my two SVS SB 2000 subs with no apparent detriment (ground loops).

Yes, I fully agree.

For XLR-to-RCA conversion, providing that we have no ground loop issue, I too believe that Pin-3 floating (unconnected) would be the most suitable and safe way, even though we lose 6 dB gain as well as we miss possible cancellation of intrusion noises (which seldom happen in home HiFi audio situation). We can easily implement various measures for 6 dB recovery afterwards such as in preamp section and/or in active SPs.

Of course, the best setup/solution should be "as much balanced connections as possible" just like that I have been sticking in my multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier audio project; please refer here and here for my latest system setup. My post here for basics of amplifier selections would be also of your reference.

WS00005665.JPG

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I think the main thing I take from this thread, is that I feel most don't realize how often in the pro world fidelity do not matter one bit. Here's a few think that matter 100% of the time In the show and broadcast business. Budget matter 100% of the time, schedule matter 100% of the time. Intelligibility of a communicated message, 100% of the time. High fidelity, rarely. Sometimes yes but just sometimes. Something like this is not broken, only because the 3 must have, it helps with that. Fidelity is a nice to have, and only in some situations. A hum in the system, you don't hear what's going on, it helps with that. It's cheap, they are there to use in the tool box in various IO configs. Show must go on, you don't have time to figure out why this video of that guy excusing himself to not be there but telling us he loves is fan base coming from that cheap laptop is humming like crazy, you put that, well it stops. Nobody will notice that he is now expressing his love with a 0.05% THD+Noise.... Nobody, ever.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If we would be really serious in Balanced-to-Unbalanced and/or Unbalanced-to-Balanced conversions, we need to go into active professional converters, like TASCAM LA-40MkIII.

WS00005666.JPG

solderdude

Grand Contributor
13 years ago, after someone challenged me to build an amp that was 'different' than other amps, I designed and built an amp based on a less small transformer.

Sure ... it would not get an ASR seal of approval but it was not bad at all. Certainly was a fun exercise.
The small transformer used in the measured adapter of course would not be usable for this as it is way too small and saturates but the DC resistance and other specs are comparable (not the lower FR and input voltage limit)

KSTR

Major Contributor
If we would be really serious in Balanced-to-Unbalanced and/or Unbalanced-to-Balanced conversions, we need to go into active professional converters, like TASCAM LA-40MkIII.

View attachment 293601
If you look at it only from the device viewpoint circuits/devices like this are fully working as intended.

On a systems level, though, the unbalanced cable itself often is the main source of error signal as soon as some mains-balancing current flows through its shield even if the quality is good (true coaxial geometry and 100% shield coverage). Length (scaling R) is the key factor here.

The most reliable way to break these currents is using a floating transformer but, as we have seen, can be a challenge when high-end specs are required.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Something like that, EI 25mm or so
Well, the NTE1 is only half the core size with much less inductance and lower saturation current.
Looking forward to @pma's experiments.
I would think the NTE1 should work OK in zero-field active, with constant (and low) current drive. However, the penalty is the same as with negative impedance drive; the (DC- and AC-)stability and noise from the gain circuit and involved impedances, at the output side this time.

Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor
And the AP's output impedance is 40 ohm, correct?
Please start to understand that 46 ohm DC resistance is the parameter good for nothing related to AP load. Amir is doing very bad job here due to his limited technical knowledge in some areas of audio. Input ac impedance would be close to Rdc + jwL//R(load) where L is winding inductance, usually several H. 1kHz input impedance would be almost same as secondary load impedance, as it is a 1:1 transformer.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
I've no idea how it could be so bad but I tested 600:600 permalloy trafo from Aliexpress $10 with quite Ok result:

:D.
Look at this then :D! Measured at 4Vrms output, 1kHz SINAD/THD+N.

6V-230V_trafo_SINAD_sm.JPG

supply_trafo_6-230V_1k_sm.png

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please start to understand that 46 ohm DC resistance is the parameter good for nothing related to AP load. Amir is doing very bad job here due to his limited technical knowledge in some areas of audio. Input ac impedance would be close to Rdc + jwL//R(load) where L is winding inductance, usually several H. 1kHz input impedance would be almost same as secondary load impedance, as it is a 1:1 transformer.
No need to be rude.
Everybody understands the difference between DC resistance and impedance.

morillon

Major Contributor
it should be noted in the reference the "miniature" .. for troubleshooting use, sono etc in pro ...

and do not expect a miracle in terms of results in absolute terms, there is nothing degrading for this affordable product, etc.
;-)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No need to be rude.
Everybody understands the difference between DC resistance and impedance.

Wellll.. there is a substantial difference in DC resistance and impedance relation between drivers and transformers.
Most readers will understand the relation between impedance and DC resistance with drivers but for transformers it is not as intuitive due to the difference in inductance.

Last edited:
Reactions: pma
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The only one "doing a bad job" is you not understanding the nature of the test. The test had the secondary of the transformer open so there is no "load impedance." As soon as I plugged in the XLR side of the Neutrik to the analyzer, it hugely raised its distortion. Since the secondary is not loaded, there is no impedance there to reflect to the primary. The equiv. circuit at AC is what you state. But now plug in 0 Hz in there for w and you wind up with Rdc which is what I measured quickly with a meter. This is a good indication of low frequency performance of the unit which is responsible for this massive rise in distortion there:

index.php

If you can't act polite, you will force us to give a thread ban or a mini vacation from the forum.

Porter

Can anyone explain to me why so many of you want this to be a hifi audio device, when it's clearly (to me) a troubleshooting tool for pro/live audio contexts?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone explain to me why so many of you want this to be a hifi audio device, when it's clearly (to me) a troubleshooting tool for pro/live audio contexts?
because we (I) am looking for a low cost, easy solution which this provides .... assuming it worked correctly and its performance were within our needs

Top Bottom