• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quest for my hyper speaker - Very Large room dilemma

OP
A

aliqaz

Thank you for all the excellent suggestions. And just to make everything a bit more clear, this is a domestic environment. Aesthetic choices are also quite important. So, giant fridge boxes are probably a no-go. Something with a nice amount of industrial design would be quite important (sorry for not making that clear earlier).

In all, I would prefer speakers where the manufacturer has published good spin data, as neutral tonality is really important to me. Ideally there are some distortion measurements as well as I am primarily looking for speakers with excellent dynamics that could handle playing at very high spl's. Narrow and controlled directivity (even cardioid if possible) would be great as well.

In terms of the speakers that I have been looking at: the Perlisten flagship series has been given the dominus certification by thx, distortion is excellent as well. Being cone speakers, I'm not convinced that they could give the dynamics necessary and they are not quite full range.

As I already own jbls, I have also been looking at various JBL options. The Everest is definitely in contention, I fear the 4367 might not fit the bill in a room as large as this. The JBL M2 would also be excellent, however the industrial design is not great for a domestic environment.

Thank you for all the suggestions come and keep them coming. Measurement data, if available wouls also be much appreciated.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you like the 4349, the obvious answer is something bigger in the JBL line.

That said, if you have the same sound in every room, it’s like a drug formulary where your only option is dose or maybe the same class of drug.

I would say go crazy and try something new.

The highs should be a bit beamy which may work out in your room too.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you have a big room maybe with a lot of acoustic issues arising I'd recommend a floor standing D'Appolito speaker. This way you have an "audio lense" and avoid many ceiling and floor bounces naturally and have a much higher ratio of pure source material vs. reverb.

For visualising:
1682697980090.png

Plus it should be at least three way, better four way.

That's just my opinion, but I reckon this is probably the best idea if you don't want to get a reverb party.

OP
A

aliqaz

If you like the 4349, the obvious answer is something bigger in the JBL line.

That said, if you have the same sound in every room, it’s like a drug formulary where your only option is dose or maybe the same class of drug.

I would say go crazy and try something new.

The highs should be a bit beamy which may work out in your room too.
I absolutely agree with your general sentiment. All of my systems are different but adhere to good general objectivist principles. I have wide dispersion, narrow dispersion, near field, multi-channel etc. I would definitely like something with a bit of a different character. To be honest, back in the day my ideal speaker was the blade with its impeccable measurements, the point source, the narrow dispersion and of course the industrial design. However I honestly don't think it could energize a room that size or provide the dynamics I would like.

fineMen

Major Contributor
... looking for a hyperspeaker after all ;)
Not really. For an approximately as large of a room I took 12" woofers, 12" (dedicated) mids and horn/waveguides plus stereo subwoofers. But that was kitchentable DIY ...

I quite enjoy multi-channel and am not a verse to it. I upmix and listen to Atmos extensively in my theater room with my JBL 4349s. In the primary living room environment however I would prefer stereo.
... plus a mono center-channel speaker with 5ms delay and a built-in diffuse radiation pattern as a dipole, actually a large pro/ DML.

It became a bit too bulky considering my humble needs. But it was worth the experimentation.

Ps. the overall cost was, due to second hand purchase of parts just about 1000 something, only the best taken JBL, BMS, 18sound AIC series, Fane NXT ...

OP
A

aliqaz

If you have a big room maybe with a lot of acoustic issues arising I'd recommend a floor standing D'Appolito speaker. This way you have an "audio lense" and avoid many ceiling and floor bounces naturally and have a much higher ratio of pure source material vs. reverb.

For visualising:
View attachment 282095

Plus it should be at least three way, better four way.

That's just my opinion, but I reckon this is probably the best idea if you don't want to get a reverb party.
Absolutely, which is why I am considering the perlisten as it has an MTM configuration for the mid-range. Also there look really nice with the finishes. But correct me if I'm wrong, the ceiling is quite high so the reflections should take a fair bit of time to come back down, which wouldn't result in a lot of smearing and might add to the sense of spaciousness. Plus the ceiling is wooden slats as well. I also have a very thick wool rug on the floor. So as I understand it floor and ceiling reflections won't be too much of an issue.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As always I recommend my own speakers, because why not? They handle everything you throw at them and are exactly what I suggested for your room situation: a four way d'appolito.

See the frequency response attached after linearisation with FIR EQ and a slight adaptive loudness.
The yellow distortion line is actually just the noise threshold, so distortion was so low my mic couldn't pic it up even though I measured on ear hurting levels.

Attachments

• NV170_Disto.png
    NV170_Disto.png
    291 KB · Views: 82

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
These were a lot of fun, Hedd ‘main towers’ there is the middle bit and the two end bits ( you can have only one end bit) I sold them to a chap who has an equally large room, you would need some form of separate EQ bass is adequate!

MKR you might consider these too they aren’t crazy expensive.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would also recommend Tom Danley‘s HRE but if you are married and want to stay married…
Keith

OP
A

aliqaz

These were a lot of fun, Hedd ‘main towers’ there is the middle bit and the two end bits ( you can have only one end bit) I sold them to a chap who has an equally large room, you would need some form of separate EQ bass is adequate!

MKR you might consider these too they aren’t crazy expensive.
Keith
I like this. Just watched the interview on YouTube. The primary design brief seems to be dynamics from a narrower enclosure. Kind of exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder if there are any measurements

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well they are much taller than me!
Keith

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m not an expert, so all I can offer is my own ideas. Perhaps you won’t mind if I enjoy the conversation.
My movie room is similar volume to yours, little bit different dimensions, 14x25x9 ft. Two walls are nearly completely windows, glass door to the porch on a third wall, and two openings to other rooms on the fourth wall. Not an acoustically perfect room by any means. I am running JBL 4349 as left & right in that room in a 7.1 set up. Listening to two-channel stereo music, I found the bass quite weak for my taste, until an 18-in sub was added. Apart from that, the output is quite adequate.
I expect Kef makes something that will fill your room to your liking. I’ve heard Muon in a very large room, and it was deafening.
High output Genelec, Neumann and JBL will fill the bill sonically, but maybe not aesthetically. The frequency response of JBL’s for whatever reason are more lumpy than flat (in general) right out of the box. If memory serves, M2 and 4367 are exceptions to this. I haven’t seen spins for Everest. They are very large and heavy, so it may be no one but the manufacturer will ever measure them. Fortunately, for JBL, you can usually find anechoic measurements to apply corrective EQ, but this adds complexity and is inconvenient. I think it’s interesting that their designer, Greg Timbers, has them in his home, considerably modified from their stock condition. There’s a video interview floating around the internet, if you want to check it out.
I would discourage random experimentation with the likes of Tannoy Westmin$ter. I got a pair of Definition DC 10A because they were $7,000 used for speakers that retailed at $16,000, thinking I could recover my cost if they didn’t work out. In the end, they didn’t work out well, and new ones were on close out a couple years ago for $2,000 a pair brand spanking new (!!). So, you can imagine the loss I’d take trying to sell them now. That they were nearly giving them away like this is telling about how poor the design is. These (and Westminster) are based on very old designs. There are much better ways to do things, and there is no practical reason for their existence these days, imo. They only sell now by attaching fanciful notions of romance and nostalgia to them. Well, they do look good, and the craftsmanship is solid and beautiful. But functionally? Do look elsewhere.
I believe I understand and share your point of view. Stick to what you know to be good. There’s no good reason to gamble on something that doesn’t have published measurements available. I have found @pierre ’s site spinorama.org to be quite useful and interesting.

Last edited:

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I already own jbls, I have also been looking at various JBL options. The Everest is definitely in contention, I fear the 4367 might not fit the bill in a room as large as this. The JBL M2 would also be excellent, however the industrial design is not great for a domestic environment.
I have owned the Everests myself. I originally bought the DD66000s and then upgraded to the DD67000s. If your room has moderate damping and you add some subwoofers, I am sure your goals will be met. If the room is a highly reverberant glass box, no speaker will work anyway.

The bass from the DD67000s is quite good, but is nonexistent below about 40Hz so even with four 15" woofers subs are good idea. I used mine both with and without subs. If I were going to return to the Everests, subs would definitely be part of the plan.

FWIW: There are times when I miss those speakers!

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't have any specific suggestion in terms of speakers,etc.

If you have the cash hire a pro and tell him what you want.

That's what I did in my large -ish (80m²) room and if I could turn back the time I would do it in every room I ever had.

Make sure to tell them to leave you some freedom to play with your stuff (bad habits die hard :) )

Edit:Square not cubic.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBL K2 S9900s were rocking the JBL theater room at Times Square.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yeah, those... actually had a loaner pair for a week.
They are excellent, but in my opinion subs are not an option, but a necessary addition.
Those are great woofers (obviously), but they don't dig real deep.

Top Bottom