• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quest for my hyper speaker - Very Large room dilemma

aliqaz

Hi there,

A long time enthusiast and lurker here. I am posting this to see if the community can be of any help in helping me find a speaker for my very large great room.

I have been an audiophile for many years, and an objectivist one for almost as long. As a physician I am familiar with the concept of blinded control trials. During the beginning of my hobby I conducted my own single blinded and double blinded trials, which, due to the fact that I was not able to hit statistical significance, led me inexorably down the path of objectivism.

I have a Great room which is very large. About 25 ft width, 60 ft length, and a ceiling height that varies from 18 ft to 30 ft. I sit about 16 to 18 ft from my speakers, in an equilateral triangle.

In terms of tonality and dispersion my current speakers are absolutely great (revel f208s). I prefer both wide and narrow dispersion and have tonally accurate speakers that represent both in some of my other systems (Philharmonic BMR, r3). I use room correction extensively (Dirac/xt32/anthem arc, above and below 500hz for different systems as the situation demands).

Currently in that room I have a pair of revel f208s. I love these speakers, and I love their wide dispersion. I even love the ability of their two 8-in woofers to bring the bass down to pretty reasonable levels. But, as a high SPL listener, I simply feel that at high volume levels, at least in my room and where I am sitting, they tend to fall apart in terms of dynamics. They are being given close to 600 watts at 4 ohms, so plenty of power.

I am running a pair of JBL 4349s in my much smaller movie theater (15x20x10) and the dynamics of those speakers are absolutely to die for. This is my benchmark that I would like to achieve for my primary room.

Having read a bit around the ASR forums, I guess what I'm looking for are speakers that are fairly high sensitivity, a very low distortion at high SPL levels, that dig down really really deep, and probably narrow dispersion (even there's lots of wood in that room, there is a wall of glass). With the new hypex modules, obviously power should not be a concern. Budget? I am not sure, I am quite value driven and typically like to get the best product that can perform to the limits of perception at the lowest price. But overall, I would be willing to spend quite a bit.

Thank you for your knowledge and expertise in advance.

MKR

Major Contributor
Hi there,

A long time enthusiast and lurker here. I am posting this to see if the community can be of any help in helping me find a speaker for my very large great room.

I have been an audiophile for many years, and an objectivist one for almost as long. As a physician I am familiar with the concept of blinded control trials. During the beginning of my hobby I conducted my own single blinded and double blinded trials, which, due to the fact that I was not able to hit statistical significance, led me inexorably down the path of objectivism.

I have a Great room which is very large. About 25 ft width, 60 ft length, and a ceiling height that varies from 18 ft to 30 ft. I sit about 16 to 18 ft from my speakers, in an equilateral triangle.

In terms of tonality and dispersion my current speakers are absolutely great (revel f208s). I prefer both wide and narrow dispersion and have tonally accurate speakers that represent both in some of my other systems (Philharmonic BMR, r3). I use room correction extensively (Dirac/xt32/anthem arc, above and below 500hz for different systems as the situation demands).

Currently in that room I have a pair of revel f208s. I love these speakers, and I love their wide dispersion. I even love the ability of their two 8-in woofers to bring the bass down to pretty reasonable levels. But, as a high SPL listener, I simply feel that at high volume levels, at least in my room and where I am sitting, they tend to fall apart in terms of dynamics. They are being given close to 600 watts at 4 ohms, so plenty of power.

I am running a pair of JBL 4349s in my much smaller movie theater (15x20x10) and the dynamics of those speakers are absolutely to die for. This is my benchmark that I would like to achieve for my primary room.

Having read a bit around the ASR forums, I guess what I'm looking for are speakers that are fairly high sensitivity, a very low distortion at high SPL levels, that dig down really really deep, and probably narrow dispersion (even there's lots of wood in that room, there is a wall of glass). With the new hypex modules, obviously power should not be a concern. Budget? I am not sure, I am quite value driven and typically like to get the best product that can perform to the limits of perception at the lowest price. But overall, I would be willing to spend quite a bit.

You and I are on a very similar quest, you may want to check out below thread ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
A

aliqaz

You and I are on a very similar quest, you may want to check out below thread ;)

I have read that thread and it was super duper useful. It actually inspired me to post my own quest. I think I'm looking for something very specific as I outlined above and hopefully I can get some specific assistance from the community (which I already got as I can see above). Thanks

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there,

A friend of mine has a similar, possibly larger room. He lives in a large country house and he converted the ballroom to a party room. He tried a lot of speakers in situ. He settled to JBL Everest DD67000.

DD67000 is not a perfect speaker but I have never heard a speaker that commands such presence in a such a large room. They simply "rock the place" and do it with perfectly decent Hi-Fi sound. If you can afford it then I urge you to demo them -- in your room.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend of mine has a similar, possibly larger room. He lives in a large country house and he converted the ballroom to a party room. He tried a lot of speakers in situ. He settled to JBL Everest DD67000.

DD67000 is not a perfect speaker but I have never heard a speaker that commands such presence in a such a large room. They simply "rock the place" and do it with perfectly decent Hi-Fi sound. If you can afford it then I urge you to demo them -- in your room.
Lol I could settle on those, too. If I could cram them in my music room, I might.

ErVikingo

My IRS Beta were used before in the old music room which was based on a section of an attached hangar (25 wide-33 long and 13 high - room built inside the hangar). They filled that space with beautiful music at high SPL when called for. I did have a couple of huge subs with 15" drivers to energize the room when needed).

I have not heard the "new" Genesis but they should fill your needs!

Edit to add link: https://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/prime

Last edited:

Schollaudio

The big JBLs or Genelex look excellent. JBL 4349 sitting on 18" subs might work well too. If you like black (they can be painted most colors) JBL prosound and theater models are worth consideration.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

mcdn

Forum Donor
Audioholics recently gave a good review to these: https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/rtj-410-rtj18sub

the picture is confusing at first as there’s another set of speakers in the room. The RTJ-410 units are sandwiched between the rtj18 subs above and below them.

they measured an in-room F3 below 8Hz, and over 120dB of output capability

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audioholics recently gave a good review to these: https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/rtj-410-rtj18sub

the picture is confusing at first as there’s another set of speakers in the room. The RTJ-410 units are sandwiched between the rtj18 subs above and below them.

What kind of nut surrounds a horn with small drivers?

/;)

You do get a precise image that way.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say JBL 4367s as a minimum, elevated 12" or 15". Same family as the 4349s, which you like. But given the 16' - 18' to the LP, which eats up a lot of dBs, think about the new Klipsch Jubilees. Two-way actives with outboard DSP crossovers, giant sensitivity and headroom. I haven't seen or made measurements, but I liked the sound enough to buy a pair. Expensive, but you get a lot for the money. Ideal, for a room like yours.

eddantes

I'm sorry... This is all navel gazing. We all know that only stacked 4450s will do in this situation. So - lets just cut to the chase.

1682690441736.png

fineMen

Major Contributor
But overall, I would be willing to spend quite a bit.

First of all, the current paradigm that all the sound should be generated by a 2-set of speakers complicates things. Wide v/s narrow dispersion, you name it. There are solutions at hand posing less complications than perfect (which?) dispersion. But most, if not all refuse to investigate room-filling extra speakers complementing quite narrow mains. As you said that cost ain't no object.

What I think you're are looking after is as many 'ways' as possible. The standard 2-way comprising the iconic 15" and a waveguide (JBL) won't do. What about a 4-way? I don't know if there's something available. Two subs stereo crossed over at a higher frequency like 120Hz could help out in supporting a powerful 3-way.

OP
A

aliqaz

You've not mentioned the acoustics of your large room. Room treatment might also be an important item on your menu.

Jim
Acoustics are not great, but there is decorative wood slats that curve across the back wall and the ceiling. One side is glass and the other a flat wall with art. The floor is a mix of large area rugs and wood. Unfortunately it's a living room environment so no acoustic treatment is possible. Hence the desire for narrow and controlled directivity if possible.

OP
A

aliqaz

Are you using a sub or two? That should enable your current speakers to play more loudly and perhaps give you more impact. And it will help new speakers do the same.
I would prefer full range towers with the crossovers and delays already set by the manufacturer. However, seeing the difficulty of the task I'm not averse to adding two large subwoofers and Crossing them over with a good processor. The ideal would still be full range towers though, we are looking for a hyperspeaker after all ;)

OP
A

aliqaz

First of all, the current paradigm that all the sound should be generated by a 2-set of speakers complicates things. Wide v/s narrow dispersion, you name it. There are solutions at hand posing less complications than perfect (which?) dispersion. But most, if not all refuse to investigate room-filling extra speakers complementing quite narrow mains. As you said that cost ain't no object.

What I think you're are looking after is as many 'ways' as possible. The standard 2-way comprising the iconic 15" and a waveguide (JBL) won't do. What about a 4-way? I don't know if there's something available. Two subs stereo crossed over at a higher frequency like 120Hz could help out in supporting a powerful 3-way.
I quite enjoy multi-channel and am not a verse to it. I upmix and listen to Atmos extensively in my theater room with my JBL 4349s. In the primary living room environment however I would prefer stereo.

OP
A

aliqaz

I feel that these could definitely do the job. However, I would have to look at them. And I believe these are probably made to be hidden.

Top Bottom