• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Open Closet Behind My Chair: Please Advise

dped90

Troy Crowe will finish my three way speaker build atop my sealed Altec 416-8B midwoofers using either this horn https://josephcrowe.com/collections/yuichi-a-290-3d-cad-model
or this one. https://www.athosaudio.com/2021/01/01/tad-th-4001/

Due to their similar dispersion patterns, either horn needs to go along my room’s long wall and at least 2.5 ft away from it. The right side of left and left side of the right speaker will be 6 ft apart.

Thanks to my less than generous room size I am therefore restricted to a single seating location opposite that wall. When seated on my low back chair 11 ft away from the speakers, this will put
my ears ~ 5 inches in front of the door jamb of an open closet 4 ft wide x 6 ft 9 inches high x 28 inches deep.

In what way might this situation negatively impact sound quality at this precise location?

Once the speakers are here and I settle on DACs for the mains and my subs I will learn how to use REW, DIRAC Live, Audiolense or whichever’s recommended to perform measurements for applying physical material (diffusers, absorbers) and then software generated filters for room correction.

But are there any physical changes that I can make to improve things before and after using the software?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are restricted to one listening position and one speaker position, I would just wait until everything is set up, and then take measurements. At that point, you will have a better idea of how to proceed.

I can understand eagerness to get started, but the order of operations usually goes placement <-> measurement -> treatment -> EQ, and for good reason. (placement is often modified based on measurement, if it's an option.)

If you need something to do while you wait for the speakers, you can plug dimensions into the REW room simulator to predict roughly where room modes will appear, and start looking into tuned treatments to deal with them.

OP
D

dped90

It'll probably help in a marginal sense. Especially if it's full of coats.
Yes, perhaps because ample number of coats would absorb enough acoustical energy to reduce reflections.
I have much more coats and other clothes to add to the existing number in there.

Top Bottom