• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio FR30 speakers

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't separate the product from the company. The company (Paul) has the first and last word. And I'm pretty sure not everyone has decided where they stand, theres new people reading these posts every day. I don't know Chris but if he's working with Paul can his ethic be that different? If it is, he won't last long (or hell go crazy).
Perhaps, although he has been reasonable so far. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Who knows, he may start the company in a whole new direction.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure not everyone has decided where they stand, theres new people reading these posts every day.
What harm would continuing a polite but critical engagement perpetrate?

PS Audio seems to sell overpriced, underperforming electronics, and does so by invoking nonsense. They have a new designer who has built and launched a new speaker. There's no Putin in this scenario.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What harm would continuing a polite but critical engagement perpetrate?

PS Audio seems to sell overpriced, underperforming electronics, and does so by invoking nonsense. They have a new designer who has built and launched a new speaker. There's no Putin in this scenario.
Yes, sometimes an engineer is just an engineer. We can't help what our boss does.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You can't separate the product from the company.
Well I can. Chris has shown a commitment to proper audio science and engineering which parent company has not. So let's be welcoming to him.

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So Paul has no input in these designs?
Obviously he does, but on the other hand speakers, unlike electronics, are very unforgiving. You have to do it right at some level. Someone can buy one of their new “AirLenses” (admittedly a dubious product), and think it works as it likely won’t have any beneficial or adverse effects on SQ. However, bad sounding speakers will sound bad. There is no getting around that. Paul will have at least dictated most of the overall styling. Per their comments, they look to have contracted a firm in Canada to help with the aesthetic design of the FR30. In that regard it’s similar to the automotive world in that the art and concepts are done first, then it’s the engineers turn to design all the “guts” to make it work. Speakers are a bit different in that the cabinet and front baffle are also acoustically important to the performance as well. But, so far evidence is pointing towards the FR30 being a good speaker. It’s unfortunate that we only have one measurement so far as it’s just one point, and there may be a local disturbance or some error in the measurement that shows up there that would not be as adverse if its overall response we’re taken into consideration (I.e. we somehow got it on a klippel or did full anechoic measurements of it). I suspect Paul will have had some input on who gets to review it and what measurements were allowed. Paul seems to eschew measurements from his commentary in his videos, so those done seem to have been kept to a minimum. Hopefully in the future that will change. I would agree that their electronics have a rather schizophrenic nature to them in that some are legitimate performers, others delivering bottom of the barrel objective numbers (some of their DACs). But I agree that we should withhold too harsh a judgement since so far at the reviews, additional data, and feedback are positive, despite the picture that was painted early on. Hopefully more advanced measurements will flesh out the FR30 and do it better justice than what has been done so far.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Heard these recently in a terrible noisy room. So it's almost as if I didn't hear them. No impressions to report other than the aesthetic is very plasticky and not for me.

Cars-N-Cans

Yeah the whole "piano gloss" finish speakers have now is a bit overdone. I think they would look a lot sharper with something like aluminum trim on the front baffles and around the passive radiators as it would help tie the whole design together better with the aluminum "wing" under it. This is especially so on newer designs that have the whole "skinny-thicc" deal going on. Good for acoustic design, not so hot for aesthetic as you have this deep-ass box with nothing to break up the view. But, this would also drive up cost and complexity, not to mention Paul's tastes for somewhat bland, minimalist boxes as the form-factor for PS' products.

YSC

Major Contributor
So Paul has no input in these designs?
He likely have, but I will give any company a chance if they looks like going the right path and fixing the BS. Schiit comes to my mind in their amp and dac designs. If the prelim in room measurements are in deed generally very good, and potentially the smaller ones measuring great in here or Erin’s Klippel, I won’t hesitate to recommend friends to buy at reasonable cost.

But then the track record do need to pay their consequences, that is before decent measurements showing great results I would not recommend anyone to blind purchase

Cars-N-Cans

He likely have, but I will give any company a chance if they looks like going the right path and fixing the BS. Schiit comes to my mind in their amp and dac designs. If the prelim in room measurements are in deed generally very good, and potentially the smaller ones measuring great in here or Erin’s Klippel, I won’t hesitate to recommend friends to buy at reasonable cost.

But then the track record do need to pay their consequences, that is before decent measurements showing great results I would not recommend anyone to blind purchase
I would say that is doubly-so given Paul recently dropped the AirLens, which is arguably one of their scammiest products yet. Evidently at least on the electronics side of things it’s still business as usual.

YSC

Major Contributor
I would say that is doubly-so given Paul recently dropped the AirLens, which is arguably one of their scammiest products yet. Evidently at least on the electronics side of things it’s still business as usual.
It surely it is, that’s why I say only when objectively they perform I will recommend it, at least the look is good paring with good performance I could care less about how their other products perform, but if they didn’t, then it’s another pass

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It surely it is, that’s why I say only when objectively they perform I will recommend it, at least the look is good paring with good performance I could care less about how their other products perform, but if they didn’t, then it’s another pass
Recommend it over what speaker, if I may ask? The force (competition) is very strong in this price range from the usual suspects active (B&O, Genelec, Neuman..., Kii3 + BXT, D&D *C, etc...) and Passive ( Kef, Revel, Magico, YG Acoustic, etc...) ?

Peace.

Curvature

Major Contributor
But, this would also drive up cost and complexity, not to mention Paul's tastes for somewhat bland, minimalist boxes as the form-factor for PS' products.
FWIW, performance aside, I really like the design of the Stellar series. I'd compare them to recent Audiolab products.

Mysterious black boxes—do your work!

YSC

Major Contributor
Recommend it over what speaker, if I may ask? The force (competition) is very strong in this price range from the usual suspects active (B&O, Genelec, Neuman..., Kii3 + BXT, D&D *C, etc...) and Passive ( Kef, Revel, Magico, YG Acoustic, etc...) ?

Peace.
I would say when the performance matches the competition in the price bracket I won’t hesitate to recommend it, based on aesthetic being a plus and imo I would sometimes prefer supporting new comers who performs to enter the market. Of course it’s another story when it didn’t or only performs in certain conditions say boosting highs excessively on axis to compensate off axis performance due to poor directivity

Curvature

Major Contributor
boosting highs excessively on axis to compensate off axis performance due to poor directivity
Are you talking about the FR30? The on axis peaks are part of the BG drivers AFAIK. They can't be dampened without affecting the off axis response.

YSC

Major Contributor
Are you talking about the FR30? The on axis peaks are part of the BG drivers AFAIK. They can't be dampened without affecting the off axis response.
Nope, for the on axis peak in the only measurement thus far I would stay away from fr30, but if their other in development and smaller offerings are good then I would give it a go

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I think that we may end up having to give an exclusive to a magazine to get a review on our next speaker model (aspen FR20). That's a little outside my purview. However, I would be interested in sending out one of the next models down (we're doing a smaller tower and bookshelf speaker for next year) for measurement by someone like Amir or Erin.
While both are unavailable due to their different personal reasons, isn't there another Klippel NFS for hire in the US? Some place where you could ship the speakers, they measure, send them back along with the results, and you guys write a few pages of a technical document describing what were the goals and what was achieved, and publish it in the downloads section of the website somewhere? Would be great for the analytical crowds like us here.

Cars-N-Cans

While both are unavailable due to their different personal reasons, isn't there another Klippel NFS for hire in the US? Some place where you could ship the speakers, they measure, send them back along with the results, and you guys write a few pages of a technical document describing what were the goals and what was achieved, and publish it in the downloads section of the website somewhere? Would be great for the analytical crowds like us here.
By the time the FR20, 10, etc. are available I suspect Amir will be able to conduct reviews again (hopefully!). Also Amir will presumably provide the review for free, unlike the for-hire measurement that would require an expenditure of PS Audio’s funds unless alternate arrangements are made. This, of course, assumes that Paul will give such actions his blessing, which becomes more likely with the smaller speakers in the series. Paul’s modus operandi from an outsiders perspective seems to be to keep the objective side of things at arm’s length. A solitary less than optimal measurement can be explained away. On the other hand, a full suite of precision measurements painting a damning picture could easily tank an entire product line.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
We all do remember this is a $30k speaker, right? And passive. Expectations of performance should be close to sublime given how many active and cheaper speakers achieve this. Plus the active ones have other advantages such as “room control”.

Top Bottom