• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio FR20 speakers - First impressions

OP
T

Tobylq

Forum Donor
It's been 4 months since I first got these FR20's. Here's a quick update:

1- Removed the clutter between the speakers. The stereo image became more sharply centered, not sure I prefer that. My wife definitely approves tough.

2- Added a second amp - Now running both as bridged mono-blocks. Subtle but audible improvement. Slightly better detail, more punchy, as if the attack and decay of the notes got faster, I can "hear" the silence better, if that makes any sense. Given a choice I would stay with two amps, but would have no issue going back to one.

3- Added two 12" sub-woofers. Time to replace my old black sub. Got two SVS SB-1000 PRO in white. These things are tiny. Placed them in opposite corners. No issue with Dirac calibration, good setup for the intended home theater purpose.
Then I thought about setting these up for music. They have a latency of 6 ms and the left sub sits about 6 feet closer to the LP than the FR20s, I figured it should be time aligned. Connected the RCA output of my DAC to the sub, tried setting it by ear and it was a total failure.
After I almost gave up I tried REW to try to see what was going on. To my surprise the curve was a bit flatter with the sub than the FR20s alone. I could easily change the slop by changing the gain on the sub. So I kept changing parameters with the goal of getting the smoothest curve possible.
The final numbers: Left sub-> Gain -32 Crossover 75hz 24db/oct Phase 45 Right sub-> Gain -35 Crossover 75hz 24db/oct Phase 80 Both with a negative peq of -12 dB @ 33hz.
I've heard the term "speakers coming to life" before, never knew what that meant until now. A whole new listening experience. What's really strange (to me) is that I can hardly hear the subwoofers, the volume is so low I have to be next to them to hear anything. Yet I can definitely hear the low end better, so subtle yet clearly audible.
Another area I cannot explain is the subs are not time aligned with each other or the FR20s (19 ms and 26 ms behind the FR20s), yet I can't hear the problem, maybe my tired ears can't resolve?
I was always happy with the low end of the FR20s. In fact there are tracks that have too much low end for my taste. What blows my mind is that with these tracks adding the subwoofers actually lower/tame the bass instead of increasing it, yet the low end is so much cleaner and authoritative.
After picking my jaw from the floor I then decided to connect the subs directly to the speaker outputs so I could check the subs with vinyl. Oh my, this was not what I was expecting. I have never in my life heard records sound this good, ever. Who said vinyl had thin bass?
Now perhaps 10% of what I listen need a little boost in bass, now I can easily increase the gain to taste.
FYI, I would never buy another sub without the ability to tweak parameters from an app. One can save 3 presets plus one default (which I use for HT) the only way to go.

4- Setup finished. After spending many hours listening, doing REW measurements and listening to test tracks, I can confidently say I have the system dialed.
These FR20s are now performing at a level I was not expecting. The sound has such vibrancy, richness and sparkle that one cannot help but to connect emotionally to the music.

The last item on my list is wall treatments, but these need to have a high WAF. Any ideas are welcomed.

Time to shift priorities to enjoying the music instead of setup.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some measurements of the FR20:

ps-audio-aspen-fr20-lautsprecher-stereo-74967.jpg

ps-audio-aspen-fr20-lautsprecher-stereo-74969.jpg

Source and more: https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher-stereo/ps-audio-aspen-fr20-22696

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
thats very good low distortion numbers, btw i don't get the Left dB scale... how i have to read that?

2.8%- 70dB...? 70db of what?

Anyway, the right side numbers looks very clean for 86dB measurements. I guess the subbass will be very good with in-room gain. Maybe the 6khz is a measurement artifact.

I always think these planar magnetic tweeter/mid range has very low IMD. Apparently PS audio make very low distortion speakers, 500-20khz is >0.4%. Very good. I guess at 96dB-100dB is maybe 1%.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thats very good low distortion numbers, btw i don't get the Left dB scale... how i have to read that?

2.8%- 70dB...? 70db of what?
Just ignore the left axis when looking at those ARTA measurements, they are a "historic artefact". The distortion at that point is 2.8% and the average level was 95 dB.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Just ignore the left axis when looking at those ARTA measurements, they are a "historic artefact". The distortion at that point is 2.8% and the average level was 95 dB.
Even better!. Excellent.
I wonder if the smaller mid ranger in the fr10 is also this good.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another area I cannot explain is the subs are not time aligned with each other or the FR20s (19 ms and 26 ms behind the FR20s), yet I can't hear the problem, maybe my tired ears can't resolve?
There is little reason to "time align" the subs with the mains. The delay is used to help reduce modal response as the sub and mains mix. You are really changing the phase of the sub as opposed to any delay compensation. And that phase variation helps with smoothing the response.

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
I spoke with Christian via email but hand't seen this article, thanks!

I looked at the google translation of the article and he mentions in the caption of that image that that the 150 Hz distortion peak is the room, not the speaker.
caption.JPG

Not exactly sure what is meant by that, but I haven't seen a peak in the distortion like this at 150 Hz and it rather smoothly tapers up with low frequency. Based on my own measurements it is under 3% THD at 100 dB/1 meter above 25 Hz.

The smaller midrange in the FR10 is quite low distortion as well, though there is a cavity resonance around 1 kHz on that unit that gives a distortion peak in that area. It is otherwise very low though and the driver has 96 dB sensitivity (and resistive 7 ohm load) so is a very dynamic sounding midrange, I feel.

OP
T

Tobylq

Forum Donor
Anyway, the right side numbers looks very clean for 86dB measurements. I guess the subbass will be very good with in-room gain. Maybe the 6khz is a measurement artifact.
If you look at my rew measurement on page 2 I am also getting the dip at 6kz

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is little reason to "time align" the subs with the mains. The delay is used to help reduce modal response as the sub and mains mix. You are really changing the phase of the sub as opposed to any delay compensation. And that phase variation helps with smoothing the response.
I think the time alignment argument has one aspect which is often overseen. The work of David Griesinger and others showed that you should use stereo subs which are in the best case close to each main speaker and the phase / time should be aligned. With this you are able to perceive envelopment from stereo recordings in the subwoofer crossover frequencies.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I saw the price for FR20 is 14,990$ USD? Im sure it was 20k

Seems to be a good price now for a '' Im not going to buy any speaker for 20 years ''
1696797520837.png

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think the time alignment argument has one aspect which is often overseen. The work of David Griesinger and others showed that you should use stereo subs which are in the best case close to each main speaker and the phase / time should be aligned. With this you are able to perceive envelopment from stereo recordings in the subwoofer crossover frequencies.
Your biggest problem in bass is uneven frequency response. Any timing difference is the least of your problem. The delay then can be used as a parameter to linearize your response, not worry about timing.

MarkALarsen

PS Audio FR-20 are wonderful speaker, which are very responsive to upstream components and upgrades. Perhaps the best system I have owned or heard. I am not using subs.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
PS Audio FR-20 are wonderful speaker, which are very responsive to upstream components and upgrades. Perhaps the best system I have owned or heard. I am not using subs.
Is it a virtue for speakers to be “responsive to upstream components”? I thought they only had to respond to the signal at the terminals.

Does this characteristic show up in measured sensitivity?

MarkALarsen

Is it a virtue for speakers to be “responsive to upstream components”? I thought they only had to respond to the signal at the terminals.

Does this characteristic show up in measured sensitivity?
What does sensitivity have to do with upgrading an XLR interconnect or HDMI cable?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does sensitivity have to do with upgrading an XLR interconnect or HDMI cable?
That's the question. Is the speakers sensitivity affected by these upstream components? The frequency response? Cabinet resonance? Driver excursion? Higher distortion?
How would changing an XLR cable cause a speaker to respond differently?

You claim the speaker is "responsive to upstream components".

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm...not following you at all here. What did your comment have to do with upgrading cables?

MarkALarsen

:facepalm:

Sorry I just read too much nonsense like this recently to respond reasonably.
Best example was adding a tube preamp. Please explain how you measure an increase in sound quality and sound stage by adding a preamp? Seems counterintuitive. Maybe you cannot measure it?

Top Bottom