• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio FR20 speakers - First impressions

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I spent 15 years as an adult film actor before I switched over to adult film directing, that's when I took Ron Jeremy under my wing as a protégé. Till this day, all of the female costars I worked with walks with a limp. . . .then I realized that this is the internet and I can be whoever I want! :D
Is it hard to believe that an ASR denizen has had a 35 year career on Wall Street as a banker and then investor, participates in private equity investments with his fellow firm principals and partners, and sits on boards and committees? Suit yourself, and enjoy your adult film hobby!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
While I would like to get an NFS, they are not ground truth and can have some inaccuracies in the low frequencies in larger, multiway speakers and potentially some issue with how port output/resonances are emphasized or displayed (due to the nearfield nature of the measurement. It seems like doing a ground plane measurements and certain sanity checks are still a very good idea.
Putting aside the fact that this also messes with the calibration of anechoic rooms for low frequencies, this was sorted out 2+ years ago on NFS. You just change a set of parameters to allow for higher order expansion in low frequencies. Once there, the results are very accurate.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not trying to discount your input at all. Maybe I should have said "the current business realities at PS".

I
Oh, no worries, I meant that to respond to the now-ignored guy. As far as PS Audio goes — if you sell a $30k speaker, it seems like a low six-figure investment in state-of-the-art measuring equipment would be important - or at least lease or rent that or anechoic time. Otherwise it seems Paul would be shortchanging the engineering effort suggested in the marketing materials. Does this sound like the development effort was on a shoestring budget? :

1703203576949.png

Last edited:

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
Putting aside the fact that this also messes with the calibration of anechoic rooms for low frequencies, this was sorted out 2+ years ago on NFS. You just change a set of parameters to allow for higher order expansion in low frequencies. Once there, the results are very accurate.
Admittedly I’ve never used one and used the rather limited viewer version of the application to examine results files.

I do understand that you can align the spherical expansions to different coordinates for different frequency ranges (e.g. lower down for woofers, if they are towards the bottom of the cabinet).

I’m curious about any other tips and tricks, so I’ll check out more when I can

Top Bottom