• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

mccririck

Just be aware that WiiM mini UPnP renderer currently is not gapless and it is not supported by BubbleUPnP server (which can be used to add gapless playback to Chromecast Audio but not to WiiM mini).
I don't actually use BubbleUPnP Server - Should I?

Pep2020

Yes BubbleUPnP works well. Also HiFi Cast app works well. Gapless would be nice though.

simbun

Just be aware that WiiM mini UPnP renderer currently is not gapless and it is not supported by BubbleUPnP server (which can be used to add gapless playback to Chromecast Audio but not to WiiM mini).
I've been using a Chromecast Audio as a sort of "portable" music player (that requires power) around the house with a set of headphones, and when I saw your comment about BubbleUPnP making it gapless I had to check, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't. The 'Gapless playback' tickbox isn't there for the Chromecast Audio and if I proxy it to an OpenHome renderer it definitely isn't gapless. Am I missing something?

simbun

I don't actually use BubbleUPnP Server - Should I?
Yes, primarily to proxy your renderers to give them OpenHome functionality. This enhancement means the queue - and the responsibility for advancing it - lives on the renderer, and therefore is no longer dependent upon your phone/tablet being active. It'll also transcode for you if needed, but that's built into most servers these days anyway.

Bamyasi

I've been using a Chromecast Audio as a sort of "portable" music player (that requires power) around the house with a set of headphones, and when I saw your comment about BubbleUPnP making it gapless I had to check, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't. The 'Gapless playback' tickbox isn't there for the Chromecast Audio and if I proxy it to an OpenHome renderer it definitely isn't gapless. Am I missing something?
You are right, apparently I confused CCA with some Cambridge Audio streamer. I've just checked and indeed CCA does not support gapless playback with the BubbleUPnP server.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Yes, primarily to proxy your renderers to give them OpenHome functionality. This enhancement means the queue - and the responsibility for advancing it - lives on the renderer, and therefore is no longer dependent upon your phone/tablet being active. It'll also transcode for you if needed, but that's built into most servers these days anyway.
WiiM Mini has its own UPnP extension for queue support and gapless playback, which is used by WiiM app.

simbun

WiiM Mini has its own UPnP extension for queue support and gapless playback, which is used by WiiM app.
but @mccririck isn't using a WiiM mini, he's using a Chromecast Audio which also doesn't hold the queue without BubbleUPnP server.

In addition, the browsing experience is horrible through the WiiM app. I don't know what music server you're using, but MinimServer and BubbleUPnP are in a different league to the WiiM app, I could never downgrade - which is why WiiM not working with MinimServer (via a 3rd party controller) is a deal breaker for me. I've only had it a week and have reported the issue so we'll see how that goes.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
In addition, the browsing experience is horrible through the WiiM app. I don't know what music server you're using, but MinimServer and BubbleUPnP are in a different league to the WiiM app,
Subjective. I find the WiiM app to be quite intuitive to use, especially on iOS. I’ve had a Bubble license for probably a decade, but just don’t like it, so rarely use it. When WiiM Home app gets tablet mode, it will be even better.

I primarily use it for Tidal, never for local files. YMMV

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
but @mccririck isn't using a WiiM mini, he's using a Chromecast Audio which also doesn't hold the queue without BubbleUPnP server.

In addition, the browsing experience is horrible through the WiiM app. I don't know what music server you're using, but MinimServer and BubbleUPnP are in a different league to the WiiM app, I could never downgrade - which is why WiiM not working with MinimServer (via a 3rd party controller) is a deal breaker for me. I've only had it a week and have reported the issue so we'll see how that goes.
I know he doesn't use Mini, at least not yet. I've just mentioned that there is a way to get gapless playback and queue support in Mini for UPnP/DLNA.
AFAIK the BubbleUPnP OpenHome proxy will not provide gapless for UPnP renderer which is not capable of that itself following the standard.

Personally I don't see any reason to use BubbleUPnP Server for WiiM if there are no other OpenHome devices. I use Synology's Media Server for DLNA sharing.

Last edited:

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With those added features, they could double the price and it would still be a bargain...
Much better than $600 for a blue sound Node.
If those features are included for 150 to 200 dollars I buy it in an instant.

thomasward00

If those features are included for 150 to 200 dollars I buy it in an instant.
Agree 100%,. Hifi streaming is still in a early state over the next couple of years there will be more competitors...
I just want up to 24/192 and USB to play local files off a thumb drive and I'm all set.

Top Bottom