• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Scot_Douglas

I just noticed that playing Spotify, SPDIF remains locked solid between tracks, including crossfades, no gap issues. AMHD (which is what I really wanted out of the Wiim) is what is turning off SPDIF between tracks. I hope they can fix this. No good for me in it’s present state.

Eduardo
Same for me. It also stays on if you cast AMHD to the WiiM, but then you lose the bitperfect playback. :|

Raver

Is there any mention from wiim about improving / adopting the Amazon Music app user interface inside the Wiim Home app?

Qobus interface in the Wiim Home app is much better.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Is there any mention from wiim about improving / adopting the Amazon Music app user interface inside the Wiim Home app?

Qobus interface in the Wiim Home app is much better.
That depends on the API that Amazon have made available to a large degree I’d say. Plus why just not cast from the Amazon Music app?

Brantome

Major Contributor
I just noticed that playing Spotify, SPDIF remains locked solid between tracks, including crossfades, no gap issues. AMHD (which is what I really wanted out of the Wiim) is what is turning off SPDIF between tracks. I hope they can fix this. No good for me in it’s present state.

Eduardo
Spotify has no need to change resolution as all the tracks are lossy mp3 16/44, while there can be resolution changes with AMHD. WiiM are working on improving gapless playback for AMHD

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Spotify has no need to change resolution as all the tracks are lossy mp3 16/44, while there can be resolution changes with AMHD. WiiM are working on improving gapless playback for AMHD
Spotify uses vorbis and aac sometimes, not mp3.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This seems quite a bit more expensive than a Chromecast Audio. Is it better?
Following Anselm of Canterbury,
"a being that necessarily exists in reality is greater than a being that does not necessarily exist".

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Following Anselm of Canterbury,
"a being that necessarily exists in reality is greater than a being that does not necessarily exist".
I've never thought about WiiM Mini in the categories of being which cannot be thought not to exist.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes I do know you cant get Chromecast Audio anymore but I have two. Is this better?
It depends on use case: one supports Google Cast, another a few other sources but not Google Cast.

Music1969

Major Contributor
This seems quite a bit more expensive than a Chromecast Audio. Is it better?
Depends what you are currently doing?

Different streamers differ in features.

You can't cast Amazon Music UHD from Amazon app to you Chromecast Audio, bit perfectly...

You can't Airplay2 to your Chromecast Audio...

Without saying what you actually do/need, impossible to answer your question.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm using the Chromecast to send music from a NAS drive to my DAC optically.
What app exactly are you using?

WiiM Mini doesn't support Chromecast... but if you share more detail, possibly other ways.

Without more detail, nobody can really help...

meszrum

I'm using the Chromecast to send music from a NAS drive to my DAC optically.
WiiM Mini would be better than Chromecast then. WiiM can handle files up to 24-192 while Chromecast is capable of 24-96 (if you try to send 192kHz file using Chromecast then it downsamples the kHz to 96).

I do use Bubbleupnp on a daily basis - my transport is mainly WXC-50 which feeds the DAC (A-S2100).

Last edited:

Bamyasi

You can use the mini with BubbleUpnp (I do)
Just be aware that WiiM mini UPnP renderer currently is not gapless and it is not supported by BubbleUPnP server (which can be used to add gapless playback to Chromecast Audio but not to WiiM mini).

Top Bottom