• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Hugo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 77 25.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 111 37.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 87 29.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 8.3%

• Total voters

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see it more like my process of learning about audio through things like this website. I bought Chord products because they were recommended to me and I liked their sound. I still do. But, as I reconsider, I believe I didn't have to pay so much for that performance and I was naive. I hope I don't sound bitter, I'm not. Just learning.

It's not just Chord, in fairness. I've spent a lot on audio gear over the years, and I think probably 30-40% of it was wasted. I have things like the Phoenix USB reclocker I'll probably send in at some point if it hasn't been reviewed.

I haven't given up entirely on Chord- the DAVE is my last refuge! I'm just kidding, if the DAVE tests poorly, so be it. Still, I'm listening with the Topping 90SE DAC right now and it is also quite nice, I have to admit.
Ok, now it is understandable. It first sounded you buy stuff like Chord regardless of your awareness that it doesn´t measure nor sound better than gear 1/10 - 1/20 of the price, which would verge into insanity. The Dave doesn´t measure badly, just nothing special (https://goldensound.audio/2022/03/14/chord-dave-measurements-with-mscaler/). No audible difference to any competent DAC, especially not to the 90 SE. If I were you, I would try to sell it, there are still a lot of suckers out there. With the money you could get really nice speakers or the Dan Audio Stealth headphone with a lot of spare.

YSC

Major Contributor
Just correcting this. You can run it without battery through a wall micro USB charger.
O, I thought if not modded it will still use the charger to charge the battery and then powers the dac?

jam

Thanks for the very insightful review Amir. I use to be be an admirer of Chord products some years ago. But in the last few years, I don't see much innovation from them but their prices are still way up there. Furthermore, now seen how they actually measure through Amir's excellent work, they've lost even more respect from me. Frankly, at $3K in this market segment, they need to put out a product that's beyond reproach.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this is now a device out of time? This was released in 2017. The portable audio and desktop DAC landscape was very different. Amir's list of DACs that could beat this back in 2017 was much smaller. So my thinking is this device is just no longer competitively priced and customers are no longer looking for portable bricks like this. Chord really needs to adjust their pricing and update their product line for the current competitive landscape and what customers are looking for.

JimFarrell29

The Chord stuff mostly strikes me as something sprinkled with British eccentricity. I absolutely don't get the design and buttons, find the filters a silly gimmick. But I don't think they market the Hugo 2 as a portable DAC (I mean, just look at it), that would be their Qutest.
At least it measures decently apart from USB, but yeah, it's too weird for me to ever consider it as a stand alone DAC.
The Qutest is smallish, though bigger than the Hugo, but definitely not a portable DAC owing to its size and the lack of a battery. I suspect you may be thinking of the Mojo.
I have a Qutest ( though am about to sell it ) and It is an excellent DAC. I don't know about the Hugo, but build quality of the Qutest is excellent. I also have the extremely well measuring Topping DX3 Pro and, while I like it a great deal, the Qutest is in another class ( as it should be ).

jam

Sigh* I lived with a Ukrainian and all she could cook was a turkey...lol. Serious! :D
What? You're kidding. You mean she didn't cook you any borscht? How is that even possible for a Ukrainian girl. Heck, I don't have a drop of Ukrainian blood in me and I make borscht. :p

Garrincha

I wonder if this is now a device out of time? This was released in 2017. The portable audio and desktop DAC landscape was very different. Amir's list of DACs that could beat this back in 2017 was much smaller. So my thinking is this device is just no longer competitively priced and customers are no longer looking for portable bricks like this. Chord really needs to adjust their pricing and update their product line for the current competitive landscape and what customers are looking for.
Objectively speaking, yes definitely, but on the other hand, the sale's numbers do not appear too bad, why change anything, innovate or lower the price if you could still cash in? Tha seems to be the business strategy. Further some talks about the only real reconstructions filters and audible effects at -300dB catering the crowd and here you go.

Garrincha

The Qutest is smallish, though bigger than the Hugo, but definitely not a portable DAC owing to its size and the lack of a battery. I suspect you may be thinking of the Mojo.
I have a Qutest ( though am about to sell it ) and It is an excellent DAC. I don't know about the Hugo, but build quality of the Qutest is excellent. I also have the extremely well measuring Topping DX3 Pro and, while I like it a great deal, the Qutest is in another class ( as it should be ).
In another class how? Not portable, or no colored buttons? Or are you really refering to the sound? I only know that the DX3 Pro+ has for about 1/10 of the price an excellent headphone amplifier and even measures most probably better as a DAC. So how is in in another class? If you really believe there is a proportional relationship beweent price and (sound) quality in audio, you really have a long way to go.

Last edited:

strummr

PS Audio and AudioQuest are strong contenders. Add some nice GR Research speakers and Nordost cables and you can built up a marvelous system for $50,000 with Radioshack sound!
This... the PS Audio DirectStream DAC is obscenely priced for what it is... then again, so is their whole lineup of below avg, but audiophool-targeted items.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the Chord aesthetic, if i was a millionaire, i would have a chord hifi. But its a luxury brand, measurements don't mean that much against luxury brands, measure a Walmart suit against a Gucci suit, a Timex against a Rolex etc. I cant afford one anyway.

Agree. Nothing wrong with voting with your wallet. It’s just nice to keep the luxury brands honest. The Denon X8500H measures well as a premium product. Mola Mola measures well as a premium product. I expect McIntosh amps to measure well as a premium product.

The value is different. If you were buying an apple pie and your friendly neighbor who you like is selling it for $11 and a random stranger selling it for $10. You’re more likely to buy from your neighbor than a stranger. People with a connection to the USA are more likely to value Made in the USA the same way that people with a connection to the UK may value made in the UK.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

IMO, there's a way higher chance to have some sort of confirmation bias when owning the products you're trying to have subjective impressions.

As a listener without owning both Qutest and Hugo 2 TT + MScaler, I'm able to do a less biased sighted listening volume matched with my smartphone A/B of these two DACs connected to Headamp Gilmore lite MK2 + LPS about 2 days ago, July 16 2022. With Focal Celestee as the headphone and my AK SP2000 DAP as source (toslink), I detect absolute ZERO difference between the DACs with quick A/B switching of toslink and RCA inputs (all in less than 30 seconds)

Capture.JPG

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What? You're kidding. You mean she didn't cook you any borscht? How is that even possible for a Ukrainian girl. Heck, I don't have a drop of Ukrainian blood in me and I make borscht. :p
She made grilled cheese sandwiches in the oven and they where like bread slice croutons with cheese inside. :facepalm:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Less than 24 hours and mine is post number 254! This is either a Chord fan club page or hate club!
A few observations:
- Portable DACs as a rule do not have galvanic isolation on USB input for two reasons: 1- they don't really need it 2- it costs too much on battery juice.
They don't need it because, even connected to a noisy phone or tablet, but nothing else! The noise has nowhere to go, so it won't pollute the ground plane. That happens once you connect them to another grounded device, like an amp, the noise current might flow through different grounds, polluting the system.
Is there a portable device with built-in USB isolation out there??
Any noise Amir encountered on USB operation, he is responsible for! the noise came and went from his source and whatever else he connected the device to, so don't blame the device, clean up the lab.
At any rate, anyone who can afford this unit and is worried about USB noise, either use TOSLINK or the diminutive cheap Topping HS-01 isolator! size of a match-box, running on USB power, fully isolating the USB input. Problem solved (only on a noisy source) for £50.
- I find it curious that at times, one channel is noisier than the other! Specially on USB, this tells me there is something wrong with the test gear noise, as under optical connection, both channels are same.
- Optical Does lock on 192kHz with my PC, using an onboard sound card, an Amazon £2 cable and a £10 backplate connected to SPDIF pins (& +5V) on the mainboard, Every time, all the time. Perhaps Amir has an issue with his optical too.
- The different filter's effects will not show up on 44kHz & on a 100dB scale graph! Amir should know better. Use 96kHz and zoom in a bit to 5dB scale graph, then you will see them. The filter's effect can just about be heard on some hi-res materials, otherwise I agree there is not much point to them, as all Chord DACs have a very effective brick wall filter. Unlike other manufacturers that have slow filters of varying kind.
- Hugo2 was launched in Jan 2017. Still rocks with the best of them, 5 years & more later.
- I paid less than £1k for mine in used condition a year ago, today I get over 6 hours play time on USB! Longer on optical and coax.
- Desktop Mode works great on Hugo2. The remote works at any angle, even not in line of sight, an additional phone charger connected to the charge-socket keeps the unit at 80% charge and stops, adds no noise (phone chargers have no Ground).
- Subjectively, it is better than my beloved Topping DX7 pro which incidentally sounds cleaner with Toslink compared to straight USB, on a par with a Topping HS-01 in loop.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Less than 24 hours and mine is post number 254! This is either a Chord fan club page or hate club!
A few observations:
- Portable DACs as a rule do not have galvanic isolation on USB input for two reasons: 1- they don't really need it 2- it costs too much on battery juice.
They don't need it because, even connected to a noisy phone or tablet, but nothing else! The noise has nowhere to go, so it won't pollute the ground plane. That happens once you connect them to another grounded device, like an amp, the noise current might flow through different grounds, polluting the system.
Is there a portable device with built-in USB isolation out there??
Any noise Amir encountered on USB operation, he is responsible for! the noise came and went from his source and whatever else he connected the device to, so don't blame the device, clean up the lab.
At any rate, anyone who can afford this unit and is worried about USB noise, either use TOSLINK or the diminutive cheap Topping HS-01 isolator! size of a match-box, running on USB power, fully isolating the USB input. Problem solved (only on a noisy source) for £50.
- I find it curious that at times, one channel is noisier than the other! Specially on USB, this tells me there is something wrong with the test gear noise, as under optical connection, both channels are same.
- Optical Does lock on 192kHz with my PC, using an onboard sound card, an Amazon £2 cable and a £10 backplate connected to SPDIF pins (& +5V) on the mainboard, Every time, all the time. Perhaps Amir has an issue with his optical too.
- The different filter's effects will not show up on 44kHz & on a 100dB scale graph! Amir should know better. Use 96kHz and zoom in a bit to 5dB scale graph, then you will see them. The filter's effect can just about be heard on some hi-res materials, otherwise I agree there is not much point to them, as all Chord DACs have a very effective brick wall filter. Unlike other manufacturers that have slow filters of varying kind.
- Hugo2 was launched in Jan 2017. Still rocks with the best of them, 5 years & more later.
- I paid less than £1k for mine in used condition a year ago, today I get over 6 hours play time on USB! Longer on optical and coax.
- Desktop Mode works great on Hugo2. The remote works at any angle, even not in line of sight, an additional phone charger connected to the charge-socket keeps the unit at 80% charge and stops, adds no noise (phone chargers have no Ground).
- Subjectively, it is better than my beloved Topping DX7 pro which incidentally sounds cleaner with Toslink compared to straight USB, on a par with a Topping HS-01 in loop.
Overall the review was fairly positive. I think it has generated a lot of interest given the outsized cost for a product that measurably isn't much better than other units costing an order of magnitude less. The styling is also a love-or-hate thing. It definitely sits in a niche within a niche.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You mean I should have a setup that none of you have when connecting this DAC to your computer? I don't think so! Per your own note, we are able to detect lack of good USB isolation here. Also note that plenty of desktop DACs lack galvanic USB isolation but show no dependency to USB noise.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
- The different filter's effects will not show up on 44kHz & on a 100dB scale graph! Amir should know better. Use 96kHz and zoom in a bit to 5dB scale graph, then you will see them.
96 kHz? Where did that come from? I always run my tests at 44.1 kHz. I have no doubt if I zoom in 1000 times something may be different. But that is not consequential in the slightest. As it is, the graph is zoomed, covering just a few kilohertz on both sides of the transition band.

JSmith

Master Contributor
p.s. That is the point. You've not used one. I heard the previous Hugo and the sound is impressive. You compared it to Topping and stated WITH A GUARANTEE what people would think of it, but you've never even used it yourself.
No one needs to use this product to know it is a massive rip off. If you're alluding to some mystical and immeasurable quality... that doesn't fly here.
I love the Chord aesthetic, if i was a millionaire, i would have a chord hifi. But its a luxury brand, measurements don't mean that much against luxury brands, measure a Walmart suit against a Gucci suit, a Timex against a Rolex etc. I cant afford one anyway.
That would be fine if it measured SOTA and didn't look like a Fisher Price toy. Luxury actually needs to be luxury... this is like fake leather.

JSmith

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But suppose it isn't what it appears to be? I think this is an open-ended, real-time experiment in expectation bias. An expensive investment by someone. The item has four filter options that promise a range between incisive and warmer with HF rolloff. Yet all four are measurably identical. I think @amirm helped design the experiment. I think this review is a sophisticated ruse to throw us off his trail.
That is crazy that all 4 filter options are identical! Certainly makes you wonder what was going through the minds of the designers. It's a crazy product for sure!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That is crazy that all 4 filter options are identical! Certainly makes you wonder what was going through the minds of the designers. It's a crazy product for sure!
Nothing that couldn't be cured with a blind test. In sighted testing, he changes a variable, and randomly hears a difference. So thinks everything is audible no matter how small.

Top Bottom