• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Hugo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 77 25.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 111 37.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 87 29.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 8.3%

• Total voters

thanrl

I was today years old when I learned that all these years I've been taking audio advice from folks who couldn't hear a difference between the Hugo 2 filters.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was today years old when I learned that all these years I've been taking audio advice from folks who couldn't hear a difference between the Hugo 2 filters.
We all can when we peek.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I will leave you alone in peace, allow me to point out this one last thing however before I do so. That story about ultrasonics creating in-band distortion in hi-res audio, that is not your guess, that’s Watts’ bullshit that audiophiles tell each other in forums for years.
Of course because those things make lots of money for guys like them. It just makes sense. At least in the case of Chord products; they don't actually perform poorly the way that so many other boutique products do. In fact I still maintain that the MOJO is one of the best portable DAC/Amp combos available. Prior to the release of the Topping one last year... there was nothing else really that compared at all. Atleast nothing that I knew about.

That doesn't excuse the marketing BS; but at least people aren't buying total trash.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course because those things make lots of money for guys like them. It just makes sense. At least in the case of Chord products; they don't actually perform poorly the way that so many other boutique products do. In fact I still maintain that the MOJO is one of the best portable DAC/Amp combos available. Prior to the release of the Topping one last year... there was nothing else really that compared at all. Atleast nothing that I knew about.

That doesn't excuse the marketing BS; but at least people aren't buying total trash.
True. Mojo / Mojo2 and Hugo2 are decent products performance wise. Problem is, they are not advertised on that. Chord's marketing practices, voiced by Rob Watts are misleading in my opinion, and as a brand, their values do not align with mine.

I got rid of whatever Chord I had, and I will not buy a Chord product in the same way I will not buy a stolen product, unless they prove their claims or change their marketing practices.

If Craig Federighi of Apple made a false claim about one of their products, and it was found to be total bullshit, they would be sued blind and their brand value would deteriorate to zero. In audio world, when your Digital Designers makes up stuff, and it is found to be total bullshit, people say "no, measurements does not matter, I can hear it". Funny world Hi-Fi is. :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Wait there are folks here that actually can't hear a difference between the Hugo 2 filters?? Oh my. My wallet is so jealous of yours.

We get it. You are very, very special.

ben1

I was looking at both the review of Hugo 2 and Qutest, the THD/SINAD is slightly worse on Hugo 2, any idea to why that is the case? Is it because of USB Galvanic Isolation?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking at both the review of Hugo 2 and Qutest, the THD/SINAD is slightly worse on Hugo 2, any idea to why that is the case? Is it because of USB Galvanic Isolation?
Possibly. And possibly that the two devices were tested few years apart, so small variations are possible.
As far as I know, both devices are identical, Qutest has isolation (because it is not portable).

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what do you get for $3K that I don't get out of my $79 TempoTec with 1/4" TRRS? At least I can get balanced out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom