• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starke Sound AD4.320 Amp Review (Sample 2)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 242 94.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters

Mack

As much as I like my AD4 (I really do!) I think I'll return it anyway, can no longer justify this :p

Seems like they have also release an AD8 in the mean time:
I feel the same way I have to and although I like the sound it's the principle

nstzya

Emphasis added - but draw your own conclusions. I must plead ignorance, but if you can run a frequency response, does a power test require much more time?

From: Starke Sound A2.640 Power Amplifier Review - HomeTheaterHifi.com
Interestingly, I just read in the comments section of his review of the AD4.320 that the first sample of the AD6 that he received did not actually work and when he opened it, it was set on 220V. Seems they might have a wider spread QC issue?

nstzya

And when set to 220, it did not work rather than putting out half the power.
I’m not really qualified to say. The A6 is a class A/AB and the AD4 of course is Class D. Would a Class AB not functioning while set to 220V translate to a class D?

Also, his photos of his review sample of the AD4 clearly show it set on 115V.

audio_lover

I the meantime I have also been in touch regarding a refund for my AD4, as stated before, and I will state it again; soundwise I still really like it and it plays extremely well in my home theater currently driving the side and rear surrounds (MK Sound S150).
As I'm in 230V territory I have been in touch with Starke before the purchase on setting up the unit for 230V etc. and I already was pleased with their customer service back then and also now the replies where prompt and acceptable.
They made me a very reasonable offer (factoring in shipping to EU and import taxes etc.) and the reimbursement via Paypal was already transferred.

Definitely will keep following this and see what they make of the recently announced Gen 3 ;)

nstzya

...I have been in touch with Starke before the purchase on setting up the unit for 230V etc. and I already was pleased with their customer service back then and also now the replies where prompt and acceptable...

I'm glad to read that, but this is why Starke's o/w general lack of transparency and communication makes this all so unfortunate. Why be so responsive on an individual level but not on a general one? Certainly they know enough details by now to release a general statement on the website. And issue a recall if necessary/warranted. There are plenty of customers who do not frequent this or other sites where it is being discussed and who are completely unaware they may have a defective (or deficient) unit. It should be an informed decision. It's a PR debacle that is threatening Starke's general reputation - the lifeblood of a small company.

Soundlover

Starke Sound is an Chinese speaker factory registered in US and China. Check out starke chinese distriutor is the brand owner in China and also Rythmik Audio。99% Starke products were sold in China only for the past ten years. They were kicked out of the Chinese market a few years ago because of false propaganda. Therefore, they want to use overseas reviews to hide their Chinese brand identity. BTW,they also build KK. 100% of KK products are selling in China. What do you think!

Attachments

• 微信图片_20210228191934.png
    微信图片_20210228191934.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 125326ayb6nxxo566axo6x.png
    125326ayb6nxxo566axo6x.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 微信图片_20220115092457.jpg
    微信图片_20220115092457.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 微信图片_20220115092438.jpg
    微信图片_20220115092438.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 180256sstgrccmpj88fc8t.jpg
    180256sstgrccmpj88fc8t.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 微信图片_20210228192231.png
    微信图片_20210228192231.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 微信图片_20220211065420.jpg
    微信图片_20220211065420.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 114

nstzya

@Soundlover, Welcome, I notice this is your first post. Could you tell us a bit more? How do you come to say all this - are you located in the China market? And when you write:

99% Starke products were sold in China only for the past ten years. They were kicked out of the Chinese market a few years ago because of false propaganda. Therefore, they want to use overseas reviews to hide their Chinese brand identity.

What do you mean by “false propaganda”? Do you mean false advertising? And when you say they were “kicked out”, in what respect?

Last edited:

audio_lover

Starke Sound is an Chinese speaker factory registered in US and China. Check out starke chinese distriutor is the brand owner in China and also Rythmik Audio。99% Starke products were sold in China only for the past ten years. They were kicked out of the Chinese market a few years ago because of false propaganda. Therefore, they want to use overseas reviews to hide their Chinese brand identity. BTW,they also build KK. 100% of KK products are selling in China. What do you think!
Who says they are building anything? Looks like a dealer's website to me, they also advertise StormAudio, Rythmik, Sommer Cable and some other brands.
+ it is no secret the AD4 is built in China, as are the Kreisel Sound products, which are sold in some countries in Asia only for now, not just China but also Singapore and Taiwan and perhaps some others.

nstzya

Correct us if this is wrong, but if I understand Soundlover correctly, he is saying that Yosemine is the manufacturer as well as exclusive distributor of Starke (as well as these other brands) in China. And that Starke was “kicked out” of the Chinese market for “false propaganda” (I assume this means false advertising) at one point? But are trying to get back in with an American face (and reviews)? Could you clarify, Soundlover?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems to me Pascal is right, the linked website indicates Yosemin is a distributor not a manufacturer of the Starke amps. Starke Sound is a Ca based company but of course their products could have been made in other countries.

nstzya

It seems to me Pascal is right, the linked website indicates Yosemin is a distributor not a manufacturer of the Starke amps. Starke Sound is a Ca based company but of course their products could have been made in other countries.

What intrigues me is more information on Yosemine’s relationship to Starke, but I’m particularly interested in the who/what/why/when of the “false propaganda” and details of being “kicked out” of China market. Starke’s US operations may be based in California, but this would seem to indicate that much of Starke’s business for 10 years has been based in China. Soundlover seems to have special knowledge of these Chinese operations.

vodan

Registered an account after reading the original thread and this one. I don't own this amp, but thought I'd share what's happening in Taiwan/China regarding this amp.

I came across a raving review of this amp on 2/2, in the 2-channel audio section of a popular forum in Taiwan.
(thread in Traditional Chinese)

I had never heard of this brand before, so I didn't give it too much thought and just skimmed through the post.

Earlier today I went back to the 2-channel audio section, and saw that after two positive replies that said "nice amp", someone had replied with a link to this thread and screenshots of Amir's data, and the rest of the thread was about the exaggerated spec listed by the manufacturer.

Someone also shared a link to a thread in a mainland China audio forum, titled "Foreign media catches fake data from Starke Sound. Did anyone else buy this amp?"
(thread in Simplified Chinese)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, didn't realize ASR is so "global"already..

Soundlover

@Soundlover, Welcome, I notice this is your first post. Could you tell us a bit more? How do you come to say all this - are you located in the China market? And when you write:

What do you mean by “false propaganda”? Do you mean false advertising? And when you say they were “kicked out”, in what respect?
Sorry for the late reply!Yes,I live in China now. Yes, false propaganda mean false advertising. I said “kicked out” means when audiophiles and dealers found out the truth,they give up buying or selling Starke products. It all started when they said they attended the cedia exhibition in 2012.

Attachments

• 234008mie9kae1ea0mz0t0.png
    234008mie9kae1ea0mz0t0.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 70

Soundlover

Correct us if this is wrong, but if I understand Soundlover correctly, he is saying that Yosemine is the manufacturer as well as exclusive distributor of Starke (as well as these other brands) in China. And that Starke was “kicked out” of the Chinese market for “false propaganda” (I assume this means false advertising) at one point? But are trying to get back in with an American face (and reviews)? Could you clarify, Soundlover?
You are right!They tried so hard to get more overseas positive reviews to cover their real identity and want to rebuild the China market(still the biggest market for them)In 2017,they used Fibbr‘s(Chinese leading fiber optic HDMI cable brand) marketing fees to attend Cedia show. The real purpose is to promote their brand. Check out rhe Chinese owner at the show.

Attachments

• 180256sstgrccmpj88fc8t.jpg
    180256sstgrccmpj88fc8t.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 微信图片_20220211065420.jpg
    微信图片_20220211065420.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20170909130914_48100.jpg
    20170909130914_48100.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 97
  • e6543a5de0e94b098515b28ef7720139.jpeg
    e6543a5de0e94b098515b28ef7720139.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 107
  • dbbd4c3f8fd1471eb66a1cc311277255.jpeg
    dbbd4c3f8fd1471eb66a1cc311277255.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 5b14875c68534f8cb7cca6d82faa701e.jpeg
    5b14875c68534f8cb7cca6d82faa701e.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 3071210_2_thumb.jpg
    3071210_2_thumb.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 114
  • starke-sound-fibbr-demo-together-at-cedia-promo-image.jpg
    starke-sound-fibbr-demo-together-at-cedia-promo-image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 117

Soundlover

Who says they are building anything? Looks like a dealer's website to me, they also advertise StormAudio, Rythmik, Sommer Cable and some other brands.
+ it is no secret the AD4 is built in China, as are the Kreisel Sound products, which are sold in some countries in Asia only for now, not just China but also Singapore and Taiwan and perhaps some others.
They build Kreisel Sound speakers too,yes they are selling Kreisel Sound to “other countries” now。Taiwan is the only place other then China。They are Starke distributor in Taiwan. Just Google ken Kreisel Sound,you will see the answer.

nstzya

They tried so hard to get more overseas positive reviews to cover their real identity and want to rebuild the China market(still the biggest market for them)
Who is “they”? Yosemime? Or Starke?
In 2017,they used Fibbr‘s(Chinese leading fiber optic HDMI cable brand) marketing fees to attend Cedia show. The real purpose is to promote their brand. Check out rhe Chinese owner at the show.
When you say “the Chinese owner”, are you saying that Yosemine owns Starke?

EDIT: I’m still unclear about the exact relationship between Yosemine and Starke, but I Google translated this from the Yosemine website, written by the owner of Yosemine, Spring Qin, in the ”about us” section about the history of Yosemine:

In the same year, I was recommended by a friend in the industry to acquire Snell Acoustics, a once famous brand in the industry, focusing on high-end multi-channel speakers. For this, in 2009, I flew eight times a year to Boston. Boston is on the east coast of the United States, and it takes 16 hours to fly from Beijing. The company that owned Snell at that time was called D&M Holdings, the parent company of the famous Denon and Marantz, and the parent company of McIntosh. For various reasons, this acquisition was not negotiated, but I got to know Snell's general manager Bob Graffy, chief designer Joe D'apppolito, and development designer Peter. And my friend who was going to buy together at the same time, Los Angeles Architect Scott Deloache, and unit designer Dan Wiggins, introduced by Joe D'apppolito, became good friends. Although this acquisition cost $100,000 in legal fees, it ended without success, but it led to the birth of a brand that was extremely important to Yosemine, namely Starke Sound.”

Due to the limitations of Google translate, the italicized (by me) section is unclear. It would appear that he (Spring Qin) is saying that he and Scott Deloache were negotiating to buy Snell together? And although that deal fell through, in the process Deloache and Wiggins were introduced and they all went on to form Starke?

Spring Qin is the owner of Yosemine. He is also listed as Chief Marketing Director and founder of Starke Sound, and their director of Asia sales…

Last edited:

nstzya

Yes, false propaganda mean false advertising. I said “kicked out” means when audiophiles and dealers found out the truth,they give up buying or selling Starke products.
So there was no government intervention or prosecution or penalties? Just market rejection? What sort of false advertising specifically? Seems they may have a history of stretching their claims - which might warrant closer scrutiny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom