• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Youngest Scientist of the Hour: About That!

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Question is: do we subject her to 11 more years of schooling until she gets a college degree before we give her a job???

In this day and age when so much can be learned online at an accelerated rate, we are wasting the talent of our children by subjecting them to antiquated schooling system.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It will be up to her when she grows up to find her own path, her destiny.
All she ever needs is there, her family's and friends and teachers support of encouragement.

She will do the best she can do with the tools she can find out there to pursue her passion, her goal, fulfilling some of her most beautiful dreams.
With a smile like that I give her all my encouragement.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
In this day and age when so much can be learned online at an accelerated rate, we are wasting the talent of our children by subjecting them to antiquated schooling system.
I am sceptical. I don't think you can replace traditional schooling with an online encyclopaedia or even fancy animated 'apps'. School education is hard slog, often boring, and having to compete with your peers is brutal. But it builds your 'intellectual muscles' and a good teacher can inspire and teach you how to think beyond the obvious.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But good teachers are hard to find. When I graduated, the dean came to me and ask me to teach instead of getting an industry job. I accepted since I had not yet landed a job (deep recession then). My salary was $11,000 a year. 3 months later I got a job at a computer company with starting salary of $24,000! Needless to say I quit. While getting my degree, not only did I help students in the computer lab, but also was teaching the teachers the same thing! Some even had me grade their exams because they could not. Now, this was a low-rate college that I was working but still, top minds are in the industry, not teaching at college. With such pay disparity, good people just go to industry.

My proposal is a hybrid one where we get the top talent from the industry to create the curriculum and provide the examination and personal touch. But that a lot can be done offline.

I am not saying we can mint doctors and lawyers this way but I know for sure we can create computer scientists and engineers this way. Huge amount of smart kids are held back by severe requirement for advanced math in this country. None of that is used in computer programming. We have unlimited need for programmers and engineers and we need a more efficient mechanism to mint them than the current process.

This is an initiative that I hope to devote my time to at some point. We need to focus on what we want our children to know in this modern era, than a system put together for a completely different time and needs.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I remember seeing an interview with Elon Musk where he was demanding that kids quit college if they wanted to come and work for him. Now I fully understand why he is taking such a position. A few months at one of his companies and you learn more about EV cars, space exploration, etc. than any college degree could.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I agree that good teachers are hard to find; we don't see them on every street's corners. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, ...they were all students @ one point, then they were taking scores, and directing, and managing, and expanding, and selling, and developing ideas, and today we are living history as it is happening every day with the technologies we've all help to adopt, use, and perfecting.

There is no magic recipe; a good education is a good base, but the real foundation is us, what we do with all of it, how we use it and evolve, how we solve problems, how we get the solutions to issues, how we get the job done, efficiently, correctly, express way, no muss no fuss, without anyone getting hurt, and everyone happy and healthy to benefit. Equality in the kingdom of liberty to all, with dignity, respect and affirmation.

We are the teachers, we are our own teachers; and the support we give and get is what makes us better teachers...students. The best teachers are the ones who always learn, the ones who always study.

Top Bottom