• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

You have $4000. What speakers do you buy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28042
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28042

Let's say you have $4000 and you want to buy a pair of speakers. You can spend less, but not more than $4000. What make and model would you purchase? Bookshelves? Floor standers? What would you purchase and WHY would you but that make and model? Please recommend something that is currently produced.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Neumann KH310s, if you can spring an extra $400. Maybe Barefoot FP01s if you're solely in nearfield (their dispersion is not as wide as Neumann's in the top end).

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Philharmonic BMR Towers (on left, BMR on right)
naked-jpg.3110426

Last edited:

Fernando

Forum Donor
Monitor Audio, I have the GS60 and I am very happy.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let's say you have $4000 and you want to buy a pair of speakers. You can spend less, but not more than $4000. What make and model would you purchase? Bookshelves? Floor standers? What would you purchase and WHY would you but that make and model? Please recommend something that is currently produced.
This is one of those almost impossible questions to answer properly. We all like different aspect qualities of speakers. Then when you factor amplifier requirements, driver size, room size, running subs or no subs, desired spl listening and your normal listening flavor (genre) of music, things get complicated. Recommending speakers vs components is an entirely different ballgame.

All these factors is why i try and never recommend certain speakers. The best recommendation to give you is, go out, spend some time, preferably a couple of months and audition as many speakers as you possibly can. While that may be hard to do in this current environmental lockdown stage of things, you just have to try and do what you can. Usually this will also require lots of time, weekends, and driving ( in town and out of town).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
We all like different aspect qualities of speakers.
I suggest you read a bit of research often quoted here. We mostly like flat on-axis and smooth off-axis, which is quite logical.
Then when you factor amplifier requirements, driver size, room size, running subs or no subs, desired spl listening
Absolutely.
your normal listening flavor (genre) of music
Unless you're either trying to correct badly produced/mastered material or don't have enough money forcing your to choose one compromise over another, this is a complete myth. Loudspeakers are audio reproduction tools, not musical instruments.

Ziltoe

This is one of those almost impossible questions to answer properly.

Not necessarily if you know about your own preferences and listening habits.

Considering the budget stipulated, I would go for Genelec 8350 APM [incl. GLM]. Since ever, I do prefer near-field listening. For room treatment I did already a lot and the GLM will be doing the rest of the top.

tribesdude

Depends on what this is for I guess, both in terms of type of content (music vs HT), room size, and setup (front only vs surround).

But say if I had 4k to spend on just the speakers (so ignoring subwoofer and receiver/amp) I would go with the following 5.0.2 system:
Front: Focal Chora 826-D towers (1.4k each) in blue
Rear: Focal Chora 806 bookshelf for Surround in blue ($990)
Center: Tough choice, although I would like to match the visuals in this specific case since these focal in blue look amazing imo, the matching center is simply a 2-way and I would assume does not perform amazingly (I may be wrong, have not seen measurements of it). Therefore I would get something like the Infinity RC-263 which based on measurements (and experience as it is my center) performs very well. Cost is $160.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$4000 speakers including subwoofers if necessary? My First Choice: for a combination of looks, design and sound quality I'd go with the $3,500 Revel Performa3 F206 (Soundstage review) because this proven wave guide design will give you excellent controlled directivity a flat frequency response that will make DSP adjustments fairly easy to match any room - also Revel build and QC is consistently excellent. Measurements from the Soundstage review:
Screenshot 2021-04-03 094528.png

2nd choice would be to go after all out performance without regards to "looks" and ends up being way way more bang for the buck: $1,500 Monoprice THX Ultra Tower speakers plus two SVS PB2000 Pro subwoofers ($1,700 for two). Monoprice THX series were very well reviewed by Audioholics based on both measurements and subjective listening while the two PB2000 Pro subwoofers can be easily integrated with SVS's new DSP smart phone app - with 2 you can either have even bass throughout the room or go for double impact at one listening position by stacking them. First choice if I have to please a significant other and second choice for the man cave. Either choices have matching speakers to go full home theater whenever you want, and both were designed with multi-channel in mind.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Neumann KH310s. Price in Europe should match.
Edit: Why? They are 3-way and sealed so low IMD where it counts and nice deep bass in room. I do own the predecessor (K&H O300D) and if they break down beyond repair I will replace them by KH310 without further thinking.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neumann KH310s. Price in Europe should match.
This would be my studio choice for both work and easy listening because I hate matching separate amps. Although it does look a bit awkward if you take WAF into consideration.

Slayer

I suggest you read a bit of research often quoted here. We mostly like flat on-axis and smooth off-axis, which is quite logical.

No need to research, i know what the research says and while it may be logical. Unfortunately in the real world, many people are not logical. While most may and should prefer flat on axis and smooth off axis response, unfortunately not all do.

Unless you're either trying to correct badly produced/mastered material or don't have enough money forcing your to choose one compromise over another, this is a complete myth. Loudspeakers are audio reproduction tools, not musical instruments.

Agreed. However the speakers are the final tool in the chain and in some ways they are acting as that musical instrument. What you or I may hear coming out is not necessarily what someone else hears.

Not necessarily if you know about your own preferences and listening habits.
Of course if you know about your own listening preferences. You missed my point, which being, we don't know someone else's preferences, which is why i stated what i did. Not knowing someone's preferences makes it almost impossible to give a proper recommendation.
So i am not sure as to why, anything in my previous statement is being challenged. I see nothing controversial to what i previously stated.

You can have all the speaker measurements you want, in the end, most are going to go by what their ears tell them about that particular speaker.
Some prefer a brighter, darker or flat response, it's just that simple. This is why, which i thought i made it clear, I don't like to give speaker recommendations to anybody. I must admit, I'm a little perplexed on how my reasoning is being scrutinized. Anyways, cheers, I'm going to lunch.

Last edited:

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Another vote for Neumann KH310

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Hedd type 20 mk2 as I heard them in my room (a mate popped by to let me hear them after getting my room treated) and my facial expression when I was listening (according to my mate) was of a slack jawed wide eyed yokel. I’ve only had my current speaker setup for 6 months and thought the sound quality was pretty spot on but the drive and focus of the music (mostly electronic) as I heard it from the Hedd’s has given me a tricky situation to deal with. Can’t afford the Hedd‘s under any circumstance but I could afford the Dynaudio LYD 48’s (under £2k) so he’s going to get me a pair to audition in my room.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
No need to research, i know what the research says and while it may be logical. Unfortunately in the real world, many people are not logical. While most may and should prefer flat on axis and smooth off axis response, unfortunately not all do.
How many don't? More specifically: how many don't when blinded and not looking at their shiny baubles? Anyway, it makes sense to consider that such a general question comes from someone who listen to music using speakers, and not speakers themselves. The neurotic gear obsessed people probably already know what they want, and would add a bit more detail to the question.
Agreed. However the speakers are the final tool in the chain and in some ways they are acting as that musical instrument.
Only when they're bad (inb4 circle of confusion).
What you or I may hear coming out is not necessarily what someone else hears.
Remains to be proved, in the case of people with normal/non-damaged hearing.
You can have all the speaker measurements you want, in the end, most are going to go by what their ears tell them about that particular speaker.
Some prefer a brighter, darker or flat response, it's just that simple. This is why, which i thought i made it clear, I don't like to give speaker recommendations to anybody. I must admit, I'm a little perplexed on how my reasoning is being scrutinized. Anyways, cheers, I'm going to lunch.
Your reasoning would be non controversial in an audiophile forum. I'm pretty sure preference does exist in the case of people listening to speakers, that's the entire point of the hobby, but not so much in the case of this other hobby called music listening.
People who put ketchup on everything they eat aren't gourmets, they're just ketchup fans.

Top Bottom