• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you care about speaker looks / appearance?

Do you care about speaker looks / appearance?

• Very much. I will not consider a well-performing unattractive speaker.

Votes: 59 31.2%
  • A fair bit. Looks can be an easy tiebreaker among similarly performing models.

Votes: 54 28.6%
  • I prioritize sound, but I’m not immune to the appeal of looks and know they influence me.

Votes: 58 30.7%
  • No. I’m invincible - only concerned with performance / sound.

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Tell

So you like these?
Oh wow, I didn't mean tapered like that. I can see the pros of having boxes like that, but no I didn't really like them as they are now no, but without that big slanting sides and in a better light those might look good imo.
Instead I mean something like this. Couldn't find any other good example now when I did a fast google so I'll just show you my own speakers, a pair of Ino Audio piP. Not the best finish up close, but I do like the overall look of them.
DSC06922_1600.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh wow, I didn't mean tapered like that. I can see the pros of having boxes like that, but no I didn't really like them as they are now no, but without that big slanting sides and in a better light those might look good imo.
Instead I mean something like this. Couldn't find any other good example now when I did a fast google so I'll just show you my own speakers, a pair of Ino Audio piP. Not the best finish up close, but I do like the overall look of them.
View attachment 361266
Yeah I like light oak or light walnut too. :D You have those same tweeters?

Penelinfi

View attachment 361266
Since they are a little rustic, your next upgrade are these : (stereophile)

0424_MAF2024_027-600.jpg

Tell

DJNX

I just wasn’t born to find beauty in speakers. I mostly divide speakers into type of ugliness:

-Inoffensive bulky boxes that try (but fail) to blend in, like the KEF R3.
-Weird exotic things that stand out like a sore thumb, like the KEF Blades.
-Drab driver containers, like the Genelecs.
-Ungodly frankensteins, like the Wilsons.

Don’t know why it is like these with speakers. Other gear I definitely find really aesthetically pleasing and desirable.

JyPay

For me proportions and eye appeal are very important. I tried to obtain the best I can do with my DIY speakers. I'm always delighted to see them, and even more delighted to hear them. The two aspects are in my opinion really important. But I am no so objective :p

goat76

Major Contributor
@goat76 Hello, nice to see you here!

Nice to see you too! :)

And to speaker designs…
I usually prefer speakers that look like speakers. While looking around in my local HiFi store I think about 90% of all speakers look over-designed, plastic, and way too glossy.

I tried to visualize the KEF Blades in my living room and they would definitely look misplaced, I think I would need to redesign my room more as an alien spaceship from Halo if it's going to work. :)

I think Linn usually makes beautiful speakers, the active Akubatik with the electronics and amps built into the stands are nicely designed. They look very similar to my ATC SCM11s when I think about it.

1712240567950.png

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Of course, this consideration is essentially limited to North America, Europe and parts of Asia as well as Australia [ ... ] even for someone who can save around 500 euros a month, these speakers are within reach.

I live in one of the most expensive countries in Europe and earn a fairly average wage. I am by no means poor or even need to spend money on a car. While I could theoretically set aside €500 a month (if I stopped eating etc.) I would still have to save for nearly five years to buy a pair of KEF Blades at current prices.

This is way beyond what I would consider 'normal' ...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've no problem with the high tech look of Wilsons. I think their price/performance level gets
them in trouble with the measurement sensibilities here.
The ones I would never own are the art/deco designs such as Vivid Giva's or the B&W Nautilus. OMG, no thanks.
JMHO

G3_Nav_Master_V2.jpg
nautilus-5.jpg
With you on the Gayas, but I could live with the Nautilus - until the day I trip over the speaker cable and impale myself on those spikes.

egellings

Major Contributor
Indeed - I don't mind the looks of these Wilsons at all but I'm pretty certain I'm in the minority as anytime a pic of them is put up there's a barrage of posts exclaiming how awful they look

I wouldn't curbside 'em if I had 'em. I'd just deal with the looks and enjoy the sound. Fortunately, that's a decision I'll never have to make due to their stratospheric price.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in one of the most expensive countries in Europe and earn a fairly average wage. I am by no means poor or even need to spend money on a car. While I could theoretically set aside €500 a month (if I stopped eating etc.) I would still have to save for nearly five years to buy a pair of KEF Blades at current prices.

This is way beyond what I would consider 'normal' ...
I live in a country so expensive that the big corporations call it 'Treasure Island.'

Did find some ex-demo Blades for £15.5K the other day. About 8 months take-home pay.

But I'm old and could buy them out of my savings. Rather have some JBL 4367 though, and they're cheaper!

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are designs like this Avalon that will never fit into my home..the only positive point with these speakers is that children naturally move away from them.;)
16673-c266fabc6559634448d689cc4d779cf6.jpg

They have a Darth Vader/Cylon vibe!

Stick Figure

For now I'm in to the vintage look. I have a pair of JBL L52 black edition. Both me and my wife love the look. My amplifier is the Yamaha AS-801 that also has the vintage style.

Top Bottom