• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing Carver C-4000

Golfdaddy

Looking to replace my Carver C-4000 preamplifier (only because I'm interested in something with better specifications but I've loved it for decades). I want to keep it a stereo system but with time delay for rear and front speakers. Currently, I'm using the C-4000 as a line stage preamp that feeds a Schiit Audio Freya Noval Preamplifier that feeds two Vidar 2 Amplifiers being used as monoblocks. I'm still using the C-4000 because it has 1) a built in phono stage for my Technics SL-1301 turntable with a Hana SL MC cartridge, 2) a built in adjustable (volume and MS delay controls) time delay processor/amplifiers (left and right surround are output to a Carver AV-64 that additionally has a "derived center channel" output, and 3) an external processor loop so I can connect an Audio Control equalizer and Phase Linear Spectrum analyzer (so that I can occasionally adjust frequencies as my room has unusual dimensions plus a sloped ceiling from right to left - it was the only way to place my speakers - a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's). One of the biggest problems with the setup is that I'm using left and right subwoofers (Audio Pro B2-50's) and I have to run the subwoofer signals (L & R) out of the C-4000 to the subs and then into the Freya Noval single ended RCA inputs. This also makes setting the subwoofers sensitivity difficult. Because of all of the advances in surround sound processing and the disappearance of simple time delay processors (ones that don't need a digital signal to do processing) this undertaking of looking to improve the surround sound specifications of my system seems impossible or not very feasible. There's also limited space on my Salamander audio stands to place new equipment. Should I just have the Carver C-4000 and the AV-64 refreshed or keep on my quest? I was considering using a Parasound Halo P7 preamplifier in place of the C-4000 but there's no surround sound processing and no adjustment for the phono stage like the P6 so I'd need an additional surround sound processor, multi channel amp(s), phono stage. Any thoughts would help. Would like to find a preamp that has balanced and single ended outputs that can be used simultaneously/external processor loop/two tape loops and a surround sound processor that can time delay process a stereo output with adjustable volume and MS delay control. I know that's a daunting task but it seems that there are quite a few really really knowledgeable folks here. Thanks.
IMG_20230609_102047660.jpg
IMG_20230722_170027688.jpg

Hi....take a look at this video of C-4000 restoration.
I find that sonic holography is the real thing, and any preamp I would own would have this feature. My vote is to do what is done in this video.....

OP
G

Golfdaddy

Thank you for the informative video. I think that I'm going to have the C-4000 refreshed like in the video and use it in another room. The biggest problem has been that the new amplifiers I purchased (Schiit Audio Vidar 2's) have to be connected via balanced XLR cables to be used as monoblocks. I've got a C-9 sonic holographic outboard processor that I'll try to use in the new system but it only has single ended RCA inputs and outputs and everything else now has balanced XLR inputs and outputs. I 100% agree that sonic holography is the real thing when it's setup properly. I remember reaching out for things when I heard it setup properly.

Please let me know if you need help finding the right people to do the refurbishment if you like. Also, please join us at the Carver Preamplifer-Sonic Holography Facebook page.

Top Bottom