• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PMC Result 6, has anyone listened to them or have any measurements?

LostJack

Hello! I need to purchase new pair of monitors for work, I'm looking for something fun, with a good wide sweetspot and detailed in frequency and depth for producing music and mix it. I used the Neumann 120 mkII but I wasn't happy with them. I'm a composer and audio engineer. I love the sound of the 8341, but i don't have the budget for now.
I found a website that recommended the pcm result 6 to me and they have an excellent discount for cyber week (they're at 2100 euros). But i don't have the opportunity test them. I also accept advice on other monitors, but I would still like opinions on PCMs. I don't want to go over 2000 euro for a pair. No subwoofer. (please don't send me links to measurements of other monitors from the same brand, every brand makes bad and good monitors).
Thank you.

lowkeyoperations

I used to have Neumann KH120s and upgraded to Amphion One15s. Was a huge improvement.

Haven’t heard those PMCs. However I used to own PMC DB1S prior to the Neumanns. The Neumanns were a significant improvement over those PMCs but they are a very old design compared to the Result 6s.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
The Result6 is not particularly good. Would not recommend. Usual PMC pitfalls of "way too bloody bright" and TL interference dips.

OP
L

LostJack

I used to have Neumann KH120s and upgraded to Amphion One15s. Was a huge improvement.

Haven’t heard those PMCs. However I used to own PMC DB1S prior to the Neumanns. The Neumanns were a significant improvement over those PMCs but they are a very old design compared to the Result 6s.
Do you say amphion is better? even for that brand i heard good and bad things. Like for pmc. I'm finding really overwhelming choosing a new monitor.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Did you try them?
Yep. Not a fan.

This is the frequency response from a Polish reviewer. As you can see there is a pretty obvious V shaped response going on, with a big hump around 120hz and a huge high end boost.
1701353213589.png

Scale matched and overlaid to the ruler-flat KH120 II, you can see what I mean. Huge top 2 octave boost, dip around the crossover, hump-and-dip in the upper bass to low mids from the TL loading.
Result6KH120ii.png

Last edited:
OP
L

LostJack

Yep. Not a fan.

This is the frequency response from a Polish reviewer. As you can see there is a pretty obvious V shaped response going on, with a big hump around 120hz and
View attachment 330617

Scale matched and overlaid to the ruler-flat KH120 II, you can see what I mean. Huge top 2 octave boost, dip around the crossover, hump-and-dip in the upper bass to low mids from the TL loading.
View attachment 330621
Mmmm, i wonder if a frequency response graph on paper is really the only thing that matters. Taking in consideration that I don't want to consider the neumann, what could I consider?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to purchase new pair of monitors for work, I'm looking for something fun, with a good wide sweetspot and detailed in frequency and depth for producing music and mix it.
Your music mixes should be people having fun but not a coloured loudspeaker as otherwise other people still won't enjoy it.
You should consider first getting a measurement mic and analyse your current situation, people not liking a loudspeaker with excellent measurements like the Neumann has usually its causes in room interaction and acoustics. Just changing per trial and error loudspeakers it not expedient, having good loudspeakers and optimising their placement and room corrections is.

OP
L

LostJack

Your music mixes should be people having fun but not a coloured loudspeaker as otherwise other people still won't enjoy it.
You should consider first getting a measurement mic and analyse your current situation, people not liking a loudspeaker with excellent measurements like the Neumann has usually its causes in room interaction and acoustics. Just changing per trial and error loudspeakers it not expedient, having good loudspeakers and optimising their placement and room corrections is.
The problem with neumann for my was the bad experience I had with their product and costumer support. They will not get my money for a bit of time. For now for me, they do not exist and are not in my list of speakers.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with neumann for my was the bad experience I had with their product and costumer support. They will not get my money for a bit of time. For now for me, they do not exist and are not in my list of speakers.
On their level of engineering the only significant similarly priced competitor is Genelec, for the example the 8330C. Cheaper good monitors can be found by companies like Kali Audio, JBL etc. but they often have small compromises like a tad less linearity, less rigid enclosures and higher idle noise. Don't know which kind of music you mix but for most music genres from sound quality the biggest improvement in that price and size region can be achieved by using also subwoofers and room correction. A typical compact 2-way monitor with a 5" or 6" woofer alone is a significant compromise.

Could you post a photo or sketch of the intended room, loudspeaker placement and listening position or at least describe them?

OP
L

LostJack

On their level of engineering the only significant similarly priced competitor is Genelec, for the example the 8330C. Cheaper good monitors can be found by companies like Kali Audio, JBL etc. but they often have small compromises like a tad less linearity, less rigid enclosures and higher idle noise. Don't know which kind of music you mix but for most music genres from sound quality the biggest improvement in that price and size region can be achieved by using also subwoofers and room correction. A typical compact 2-way monitor with a 5" or 6" woofer alone is a significant compromise.

Could you post a photo or sketch of the intended room, loudspeaker placement and listening position or at least describe them?
I'm slowly getting more commissions for others, so different genres. But taking in account only what i do personally with my style, i do a lot of electronic music and sometimes classic/orchestral and sound design for video. For me the most important thing is to have a really defined mid/high and high frequency (i really work a lot from 2k and over) and the range from 40 to 120 hz. For that i don't like a lot the adam in that price range (i don't know the other more expansive). I tried the a7v, a77h e a44h. I find them a bit harsh and i can't work with them for too much time. I like the series 8000 from genelec, but is like i didn't find that the mids to be really clear in the 8330 (also the low are weird). The 8340 are better but more expansive. My room is 5 meter in lenght and 3,40 less or more in width, i don't remember the height, like 2m and 30. I have space for all my gear and stuff, also the listening position is in the correct direction (even if obiouvs). I have the space for big speakers. I want in near future to get the 8341 or atc scm20 asl (i'm writing this models just to point what kind of sound i like).

dfuller

Major Contributor
Mmmm, i wonder if a frequency response graph on paper is really the only thing that matters.
It's not, but you asked for measurements.

Taking in consideration that I don't want to consider the neumann, what could I consider?
Genelec. If you're dead set on PMCs, consider the newer PMC 6 instead. They're not bad. Maybe Dynaudio Core 7s are more or less okay?

OP
L

LostJack

It's not, but you asked for measurements.

Genelec. If you're dead set on PMCs, consider the newer PMC 6 instead. They're not bad. Maybe Dynaudio Core 7s are more or less okay?
I asked for detailed in frequency, not ruler flat. I think is different (in my opinion). I'm not dead set on a brand. Just asking. Even because in this days looking around i'm finding a lot of less famous monitor brands (less know and stuff that you can't find easly) but used from professional people and maybe i can discover new good stuff even here in this post. From geithain to ocean wave, and brands like sonodyne (but not avaiable at all here the last ones, and the other 2 are expansive). The problem is that i can't liste/demo lot of speakers and reading reviews does not help at all.

MAB

Major Contributor
I asked for detailed in frequency, not ruler flat. I think is different (in my opinion). I'm not dead set on a brand. Just asking. Even because in this days looking around i'm finding a lot of less famous monitor brands (less know and stuff that you can't find easly) but used from professional people and maybe i can discover new good stuff even here in this post. From geithain to ocean wave, and brands like sonodyne (but not avaiable at all here the last ones, and the other 2 are expansive). The problem is that i can't liste/demo lot of speakers and reading reviews does not help at all.
I think it's useful to start with relatively flat. I wish the ruler-flat term wasn't used so often, even if it would be a great starting point. It just never happens, especially if you take the speaker's radiation pattern and room into account.

Even if you like a very non-flat preference curve, it's easy to EQ that if you have a speaker that starts flat in your room. But targeting an preference with a non-flat speaker seems hard unless a bunch of starts align. And in this case even harder since a large dip at 2kHz due to mismatched woofer/tweeter dispersions isn't really EQ'able and likely isn't a very useful frequency response.

lowkeyoperations

Do you say amphion is better? even for that brand i heard good and bad things. Like for pmc. I'm finding really overwhelming choosing a new monitor.

I’m running Amphion One15s with Dirac live and they are fantastic. Way better than the KH120s.

BTW if you haven’t heard of them I’d HIGHLY recommend Slate VSX Headphones too. They are night and day better than my Sennheiser HD650s for mix translation.

OP
L

LostJack

In ha
I’m running Amphion One15s with Dirac live and they are fantastic. Way better than the KH120s.

BTW if you haven’t heard of them I’d HIGHLY recommend Slate VSX Headphones too. They are night and day better than my Sennheiser HD650s for mix translation.
I'm happy with my s4x as headphones. But I prefer working with speakers.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
. (please don't send me links to measurements of other monitors from the same brand, every brand makes bad and good monitors).
I disagree. I don't think Genelec or Neumann have a single bad speaker in their line-up. All their products are engineered with the same general design principles.

But targeting an preference with a non-flat speaker seems hard unless a bunch of starts align. And in this case even harder since a large dip at 2kHz due to mismatched woofer/tweeter dispersions isn't really EQ'able and likely isn't a very useful frequency response.
Yes, doing this is just a complete dice roll. Better start with something with excellent directivity and equalize to taste.

OP
L

LostJack

I disagree. I don't think Genelec or Neumann have a single bad speaker in their line-up. All their products are engineered with the same general design principles.
I don't want to discuss about that. the post is not for that, but you can find in almost every speaker something that you can point. every speaker exist because is designed for a certain propose/use or only because the brand want to have something to cover that price bracket (and sometimes the design and choice of the components are not really adequate). said that, i appreciate all the speakers in general but also I know that every speaker have pro and cons.
I'm here just to find what is the best solution for me.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I don't want to discuss about that. the post is not for that, but you can find in almost every speaker something that you can point. every speaker exist because is designed for a certain propose/use or only because the brand want to have something to cover that price bracket (and sometimes the design and choice of the components are not really adequate). said that, i appreciate all the speakers in general but also I know that every speaker have pro and cons.
I'm here just to find what is the best solution for me.
I'm not saying all their speakers can be used in the same circumstances, there are of course limits to what you can do for a certain budget or with a certain size. But the general design principles remain the same.

But sure, you should buy the Result6. I've never heard a PMC loudspeaker that was actually good, but this might be that mystical one that is. I don't trust any pro monitor manufacturer that has zero measurements available, but you be you. Every PMC loudspeaker I heard has had too much treble, and some of them have some weird stuff going on in the low end (they had some weird bass boost at like 80-120hz if I had to guess). But like I said, just get the Result6, I'm sure this one will be different.

lowkeyoperations

In ha

I'm happy with my s4x as headphones. But I prefer working with speakers.

Whatever monitors you end up going with I HIGHLY recommend getting Dirac Live incorporated into your monitoring chain.

The improvements you will hear by removing the negative impacts your room has in your monitors is night and day.

Hands down the best investment you can make for your monitors. Keep part of your new monitor budget aside for Dirac Live and you won’t regret your upgrade.

Top Bottom