• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Many Inches?

bothu

Is that a Definimax / Magnum 18"?

This :

18ELF.JPG

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Size matters, clearly. Just keeping with the spirit of the thread title. Motion matters too (doubling size only yields 3db, while doubling excursion yields 6db). But nobody wants to sit in front of their rig and get punched in the chest.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My JBL 708s have...8" woofers.

Two of them sit on 29" tall 10" long throw HSU Research Subwoofers.

dfuller

Major Contributor
So... big woofers means big baffles. These two things together make for speakers becoming directive at a lower frequency than smaller speakers, save for those with cardioid midbass/midrange. And I find that insulates them somewhat from the worst of the 200-500hz room weirdness.

Anyway, 10+3+1 here.

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
15" woofers doing duty between 65 and 350Hz. Yes, they go lower but the subs do it better. When I engage DLBC I'm not exactly sure where the XO comes in.

Big woofers equal big boxes which are expensive to ship, heavy and not practical for most peoples opinion of home decor. My main listening rig is in a workspace studio - in the house I have bookshelf size speakers for casual listening with some JBL passive woofer wedges tucked behind the couch. No comparison in sound quality but I'm amazed how well the little speakers do up to certain SPL.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For impact (chest thump) you can feel I find 8"-12" to be the sweet spot. My home theater system has Klipsch RF-82 II up front along with dual 15" subs. The subs go low but impact comes out of the Klipsch's. My stereo has a pair of Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversaries with dual 9" in a transmission line. They provide palpable impact. As early as the 1980's I found Cerwin-Vegas with 12" woofers hit harder than the 15 inchers. Just my 2 cents...

Martin

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm currently using Heritage Linton's (8") and now some JBL 4312G (12"). Both equalized to the same curve in DIRAC (but slightly less low extension on the JBLs), the JBLs definitely have more slam, which is what I was after. I have a large room (>8 x 12m).

Sokel

Master Contributor
It's not only about woofer size but cabinet size too,that's what makes the trick about really high dynamic stuff other than exotic solutions.
My absolute minimum for the majority of the speakers I have listened to (for woofers,not subs) are 10" s in at least 100 litter cabinets.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What's the minimum woofer size for bass that shakes the walls in a small room ?

Sokel

Master Contributor
What's the minimum woofer size for bass that shakes the walls in a small room ?
Woofers are not supposed to move the walls,they are supposed to hit you hard though (impact) but they can do that too if they go low enough with authority and high output.
For a small 20m² room you can get away with two 8" I guess if they are only about bass and not mids too.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I was brought up on large speakers with large bass drivers, which in Jurassic times usually had less distortion due to the reduced cone movement for a given sound level. Thing is today, multiple smaller drivers seem to do the same job, but this is where visual subjectivism comes in.

Top Bottom