• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-N803 Smart Receiver Review

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Amplifier may be disconnected product meaning it won't get new futures, probably only only one or two firmware updates for services and generally minor updates but the platform for which it's tied (as a service) is still pretty much alive and under development. Is it worth it it's really personal subjective value judgment (as always).

plitsch platsch

I know, of course that's true. But what are the possible alternatives? I would also go with an (pre-)amp (with pre-outs) and external dsp/dac, to be more future proof.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I know, of course that's true. But what are the possible alternatives? I would also go with an (pre-)amp (with pre-outs) and external dsp/dac, to be more future proof.
Ask your self what do you really want?
Sit down and write it up to your self, then come somewhere (like this forum) to discuss possible mistakes in your list of futures and do you really need/want them (form and build opinion). Only after that go to the review index and search it for most suitable solution for you.
I have older cheaper R-N with which I am still satisfied, I use DLNA streaming from private colectin to it from a PC (laptop that can run silent) with JRiver for DSP chain purposes (of course such approach doesn't work with streaming services or anything implying DRM protection). I stopped using streaming service almost entirely for which lack of possibility to include comprehensive DSP chain is just one of many reasons in my case.

Top Bottom