• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-N803 Smart Receiver Review

Would you still recommend this amp, even if it's discontinued? Or any other solutions with similar features up to a price of 1.000 €?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Amplifier may be disconnected product meaning it won't get new futures, probably only only one or two firmware updates for services and generally minor updates but the platform for which it's tied (as a service) is still pretty much alive and under development. Is it worth it it's really personal subjective value judgment (as always).

I know, of course that's true. But what are the possible alternatives? I would also go with an (pre-)amp (with pre-outs) and external dsp/dac, to be more future proof.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I know, of course that's true. But what are the possible alternatives? I would also go with an (pre-)amp (with pre-outs) and external dsp/dac, to be more future proof.
Ask your self what do you really want?
Sit down and write it up to your self, then come somewhere (like this forum) to discuss possible mistakes in your list of futures and do you really need/want them (form and build opinion). Only after that go to the review index and search it for most suitable solution for you.
I have older cheaper R-N with which I am still satisfied, I use DLNA streaming from private colectin to it from a PC (laptop that can run silent) with JRiver for DSP chain purposes (of course such approach doesn't work with streaming services or anything implying DRM protection). I stopped using streaming service almost entirely for which lack of possibility to include comprehensive DSP chain is just one of many reasons in my case.

ioskyr

Hey everyone.. i wondered if some kind soul who owns a Yamaha R-N803 could look at their Ypao microphone and give me a part number? Ive lost mine and its near impossible to find a ref of which is the correct one for the N803..any help appreciated thanks in advance!
The microphone does not have a part number on it. If there is a part number, there is going to be on the box of the microphone. Alas I have tossed away mine. Maybe someone else still has his box.

DnR

Hi guys, I’m new here. Hopefully I’m not asking this question in an inappropriate place. I recently purchased a Yamaha R-N803. There are things I’m happy about, but there’s also some disappointments. The first disappointment was confirmed by tech-support at Yamaha… None of the built-in subscription services can support Hi-Res audio. So, I’ll need an outboard box of some kind. Next issue, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do anything pertaining to the subwoofer output… There is no level control in my MusicCast app, And I can’t find anything relating to it in the settings on the receiver itself. I also use the MusicCast app for a different Yamaha receiver which does have a subwoofer level slider. What am I missing? Can I control the level of the subwoofer output? Crossover frequency? Any and all information relating to this would be helpful. I use this to run an outdoor sound system consisting of JBL CBT1000s & CBT1000Es. Everything sounds great, but I’m gonna need an outboard amplifier for the 1000Es.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Next issue, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do anything pertaining to the subwoofer output… There is no level control in my MusicCast app, And I can’t find anything relating to it in the settings on the receiver itself. I also use the MusicCast app for a different Yamaha receiver which does have a subwoofer level slider. What am I missing? Can I control the level of the subwoofer output? Crossover frequency?
According to the below post, you should be able to adjust crossover setting through the MusicCast app:

DnR

According to the below post, you should be able to adjust crossover setting through the MusicCast app:
Thank you for the quick reply! However, I see no such functionality in the current version of MusicCast. Check out this thread from another group talking about the same issue https://forums.audioholics.com/foru...t-doesnt-have-bass-management-options.124733/

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@DnR did you try with Web interface (enter IP address in browser)?
What's there in settings (bottom right corner) - room settings (R-N803)? By the way you need to go there and tap on Information to see your IP address.

Edit: forget about it, it's 90 Hz fixed.
Hi resolution audio? It supports hi sample rates and bit depth, don't know about streaming services and what they support. It doesn't support MQA nor it's "unfolding" which is lossy by the way and no one hire will cry about it (quite contrary).

Last edited:

DnR

@DnR did you try with Web interface (enter IP address in browser)?
What's there in settings (bottom right corner) - room settings (R-N803)? By the way you need to go there and tap on Information to see your IP address.

Edit: forget about it, it's 90 Hz fixed.
Hi resolution audio? It supports hi sample rates and bit depth, don't know about streaming services and what they support. It doesn't support MQA nor it's "unfolding" which is lossy by the way and no one hire will cry about it (quite contrary).

I know nothing about a web interface for this receiver, maybe someone here can dumb it down for me. So far, my only way of interacting with this receiver is the remote, the buttons on the receiver, and MusicCast app. No evidence of any subwoofer information or settings to be found yet.

I guess being able to adjust the crossover frequency would’ve been a bonus, I was just hoping for a subwoofer level control. I can’t find that anywhere in the owners manual, the onboard menu of the receiver itself, or in the MusicCast app. However, I do know how to use the subwoofer level slider for a different Yamaha device inside of MusicCast, but it does not appear when connected to the 803. I guess I never would’ve thought a device would come with a subwoofer output that you not only can’t adjust the frequency cut off, but not even the level or any other parameter… and I guess if they’re going to deny me of any functionality, at least make it black-and-white in the manual what I should expect from the subwoofer section.

DnR

I know nothing about a web interface for this receiver, maybe someone here can dumb it down for me. So far, my only way of interacting with this receiver is the remote, the buttons on the receiver, and MusicCast app. No evidence of any subwoofer information or settings to be found yet.

I guess being able to adjust the crossover frequency would’ve been a bonus, I was just hoping for a subwoofer level control. I can’t find that anywhere in the owners manual, the onboard menu of the receiver itself, or in the MusicCast app. However, I do know how to use the subwoofer level slider for a different Yamaha device inside of MusicCast, but it does not appear when connected to the 803. I guess I never would’ve thought a device would come with a subwoofer output that you not only can’t adjust the frequency cut off, but not even the level or any other parameter… and I guess if they’re going to deny me of any functionality, at least make it black-and-white in the manual what I should expect from the subwoofer section.
Screenshot of MusicCast app, no subwoofer level like you would expect...?

Attachments

• 17775C94-C55C-4585-8261-9830E700DE35.jpeg
    17775C94-C55C-4585-8261-9830E700DE35.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 88

Modellbobby

Hey ,

I have this amp. All works perfect. This is the User here sorry to say. Get the Yamaha AV receiver App and setup your crossover. There is absolutely no problem

Overseas

Major Contributor
This gear can do bass management via app settings,that is adjust crossover freq. Just calm down and search the app once it is installed.

diablo

Forum Donor
With the previous version of the Musiccast app it was fixed crossover of 90Hz. The updated app has fixed that and offers multiple xover.

djigibao

Screenshot of MusicCast app, no subwoofer level like you would expect...?

Did you try turn on YPAO.?
When YPAO is off or in Pure direct you can't set crossover

DnR

This gear can do bass management via app settings,that is adjust crossover freq. Just calm down and search the app once it is installed.

Just so we are on the same page, what app are you talking about? MusicCast?

DnR

Did you try turn on YPAO.?
Yes I did… I did not use it or set it up, but I did try turning it on and I still did not see any subwoofer adjustments in the MusicCast app. I posted a link to a different group earlier with someone else mentioning that this is no longer possible inside of MusicCast. But then others are adamant that you can still do it… But maybe using a different app that I am not aware of.

Top Bottom