• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

gaburko

The payment per 1k streams is not the only metric. In the end of the day, the sheer number of users will make all the difference and more. Spotify has over 170m subscribers, which is more than Tidal, Amazon and Apple COMBINED! (tidal has 3, apple has around 70 and Amazon around 50)

So yes, an artist on Spotify will get less per stream vs the rest, but is much more likely to get many more streams simply because of the user base.

Madlop26

I’ve had Spotify, Tidal, Apple, Google Music, Beats (before it was Apple), and probably a few more. None come close to Spotify for music discovery. Apple works with my ecosystem, but “my” generated stations it thinks I will like are mostly crap.

I’m currently on free Spotify and paid Apple.
Very similar experience here, Spotify for music discovery is unmatched, but regardless I switched to Apple. The reason apple is almost fully lossless now, i have a little paid software that allows you to download any album or playlist from Apple, lossless. I can transfer music to micro SDs to listen in a high end portable player without necessity to be online.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i believe this thread was started as a result of frustration with Spotify and its failed promise re "improved quality files".
It has recently altered because of the Rogan thing. At this moment for me, Qobuz appears to have a large catalogue, appears to have higher quality files, and in the short term at least, will be cheaper for me. I appreciate this is not addressing the fees to performer matter.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hm, can not anyone create a new thread where you can vote on various factors that determine the choice of streaming provider? I came up with it right now, so I can not concretize it, but you understand the idea. Financial compensation artists, UI, catalog, sound quality and so on.

DavidEdwinAston, it would be something for you to create such a new thread? You are so committed to this. Just a suggestion, if you feel like it.:D

Edit,
Suggestions:
* Catalog (size)
* Annual fee subscription
* Economic compensation artist
* Possibility 3 party integration (ROON and similar)
* Ease of use
* Features

That was a bit I came up with now.Plus a little more, 10 options are the maximum when creating a poll. You can add options if you create a poll after publishing the thread (within 24 hours of publishing, if I remember correctly).

Two voting options. For example.

Last edited:

Larry B. Larabee

Do I see sparks? :)

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Thanks Daniel. I really am not that committed. Selfishly, its, the music, as much variety of same, and then the quality. In so far as I can hear that quality, certainly!

symphara

Since the streaming market is hardly a monopoly and copyright holders are free to offer their catalogues or not, as it makes business sense to them, it's really none of my concern how much they're paid.

Unless clearly unethical, I'd always go for a product or service that maximizes my satisfaction/price ratio.

Spotify has a polished app, good device compatibility and good recommendations.

So I'd definitely give Spotify a try if they bring a cost competitive lossless streaming tier, unless they do something crazy like kicking or censuring Rogan. I don't particularly like Rogan and I haven't even listened to his shows since he moved to Spotify, but taking the position that a single point of view or narrative is allowed is clearly unethical to me, and I could easily use stronger terms.

BN1

Since the streaming market is hardly a monopoly and copyright holders are free to offer their catalogues or not, as it makes business sense to them, it's really none of my concern how much they're paid.

Unless clearly unethical, I'd always go for a product or service that maximizes my satisfaction/price ratio.

So I'd definitely give Spotify a try if they bring a cost competitive lossless streaming tier, unless they do something crazy like kicking or censuring Rogan. I don't particularly like Rogan and I haven't even listened to his shows since he moved to Spotify, but taking the position that a single point of view or narrative is allowed is clearly unethical to me, and I could easily use stronger terms.
Good summary. What about Neil, Joni, Nils, Joe or Taylor ? Wouldn't miss any of them, at least not on personal playlists.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Agreed. I feel the same. I am a Premium user and and have been enjoying their suggestions for years.. Moving from Spotify to another (large) streaming platform doesn't seem to achieve much: Apple or Tidal or Amazon or ... , are not paragons of virtue.
At a larger issues, we're having corporations that have become virtually more powerful than many (most?) governments.... For Profit entities that are capable and have shown proclivities to do what is good for their shareholders and not for the population, be it of their own countries or others.
We're living scary times o_O.
Sorry for the OT.
Peace.

symphara

Good summary. What about Neil, Joni, Nils, Joe or Taylor ? Wouldn't miss any of them, at least on personal playlists.
I don’t even know who these people are. I am not familiar with their music nor do I have any desire to go there.

Kegemusha

So Barca Stadium will change name to Camp Nou Spotify !?!?!
3 years name change for 280MEuros, I guess with that money they could have defenetly make CD quality stream possible.
Music seems to be down on priority for them now.

Maybe games will be the next thing?

BN1

So Barca Stadium will change name to Camp Nou Spotify !?!?!
3 years name change for 280MEuros, I guess with that money they could have defenetly make CD quality stream possible.
Music seems to be down on priority for them now.

Maybe games will be the next thing?
Ek has made some odd decisions of late. For sure, however, he is getting plenty of press these days and maybe that is his intention.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Listening to Neil Young right now on Spotify.

1644410437871.png

BN1

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I noticed that as well. Do you suppose that all this press was only to draw attention to N. Young and Spotify, ie bad press is better than no press ?
It could be.

JonK99

I let Spotify know my reason for quitting but honestly I had been looking for an excuse to check out the Atmos content from Apple. Bonus: I went all-in on the Apple One plan so now get to watch Ted Lasso.

BN1

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't believe that a content provider should also be a censor. It should also be noted that Spotify paid Joe Rogan $100,000,000 to spew his venom, They (Spotify) were quite aware of his views. They actually banked on this, it was an investment. They needed him to be himself... It backfired.

OTOH, their darn algorithm has kept me very happy in the music enjoyment department. Extremely Happy... I also have Apple Music which I rarely, if ever, use. Perhaps time to translate Spotify playlists to Apple's and let Apple Music take it from there... Then again, Apple is no saint. none of the Big Techs are ...
:(

Last edited:
Top Bottom