• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Battle of the Algos - #1

Which is the best 'station'/music mix based on She's Always a Woman by Billy Joel?

• Apple Music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plexamp

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Youtube Music

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Spotify

• Tidal

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Qobuz

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Plexamp Sonic Sage

• Roon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bevok

[Edited to add Plexamp Sonic Sage and Roon options]

Just for a bit of fun, lets rate the music service algorithms! Some users enjoy the music discovery from radios/stations/mixes on various music services. Based on a thread about Roon and its recommendation engine/radio I thought it would be fun to compare the mixes based on a song created by different music services subjectively and see which one we like the most. If anyone has Roon let me know and I'll fire you a song to give us a Roon option for the next poll - is it worth the $$$? Obviously easier to rate if the music is up your alley so we'll try some different genres.

Interesting (for me anyway!) to compare their strategies, popular vs deep cuts, artist variety etc.

This poll is the first eight songs of mixes based on "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel. Which mix would you enjoy the most?

Apple Music
Take Me Home, Country Roads - John Denver
The Best of My Love - Eagles
One More Night - Phil Collins
Vienna - Billy Joel
The Grave - Don Mclean
Open Arms - Journey
Diamonds On the Soles of Her Shoes - Paul Simon
Dust In the Wind - Kansas

Plexamp
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - The Beatles
Slowpoke - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Backbone - Kaleo
Olive Hill - Cat Stevens
Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog .. - Paul Simon
The Painter - Neil Young
Four Seasons in One Day - Crowded House
The Times They Are A-Changin' - Bob Dylan

Youtube Music
Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
Gypsy - Fleetwood Mac
Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues - Elton John
Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds
I Drink Wine - Adele
Piano Man - Billy Joel

Spotify
Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues - Elton John
Fall At Your Feet - Crowded House
Drive - The Cars
If You Leave Me Now - Chicago
Knowing Me, Knowing You - ABBA
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Rocket Man - Elton John

Tidal
Vincent - Don McLean
Your Song - Elton John
Never Going Back Again - Fleetwood Mac
The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
She's Got a Way - Billy Joel
And I Love You So - Don McLean
Wild World - Cat Stevens
Rocket Man - Elton John

Qobuz
It's Too Late - Carole King
The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby
It's Christmas - Jamie Cullum
Key Largo - Bertie Higgins
Say Say Say - Paul McCartney
Going Around One More Time - Livingston Taylor
Scream - Lindsey Buckingham
The Boys Of Summer - Don Henley

Plexamp Sonic Sage

She's Always a Woman - Billy Joel
Starting off with the iconic track that inspired this playlist.

Your Song - Elton John
A timeless classic that captures the same sentimental essence as Billy Joel's song.

Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
A dreamy track that beautifully embodies the complexities of a woman, just like in Billy Joel's song.

Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder
Another soulful classic that delves into the enigmatic allure of people we encounter in our lives.

Don't Know Why - Nora Jones
A heartfelt and soothing tune that further explores the intriguing nature of love and relationships.

Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
A romantic classic that delves into the enigmatic allure of people we encounter in our lives.

Rehab - Amy Winehouse
A soulful and rebellious song that showcases another side of women's strength and independence.

Georgia on my Mind - Ray Charles
A heartfelt tribute to a woman named Georgia, highlighting her everlasting presence in the artists mind.

Roon
Honesty - Billy Joel
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
Hotel California - Eagles
It’s Too Late - Carole King
Sweet Baby James - James Taylor
The Right Thing To Do - Carly Simon
Ventura Highway - America
Rosanna - Toto

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great idea! I respectfully submit one more option and used Plexamp's "Sonic Sage" to generate a playlist. It calls ChatGPT to generate playlists based on any text you put into the text box.
Here is what it returned including the brief justification from ChatGPT. Lol at the repeat statement for Frank Sinatra and the mis-representation of Georgia on my mind! ChatGPT only understands so much and fakes it when it doesn't know. :facepalm:

Plexamp Sonic Sage:

Your Song - Elton John
A timeless classic that captures the same sentimental essence as Billy Joel's song.

Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
A dreamy track that beautifully embodies the complexities of a woman, just like in Billy Joel's song.

Another soulful classic that delves into the enigmatic allure of people we encounter in our lives.

A heartfelt and soothing tune that further explores the intriguing nature of love and relationships.

A romantic classic that delves into the enigmatic allure of people we encounter in our lives.

Rehab - Amy Winehouse
A soulful and rebellious song that showcases another side of women's strength and independence.

A heartfelt tribute to a woman named Georgia, highlighting her everlasting presence in the artists mind.

CapMan

Major Contributor
I started this on Roon Roon which has Qobuz and my local library

Always a Woman to me - Billy Joel

Honesty - Billy Joel

Rosanna - Toto

OP
B

bevok

Great idea! I respectfully submit one more option and used Plexamp's "Sonic Sage" to generate a playlist. It calls ChatGPT to generate playlists based on any text you put into the text box.
Here is what it returned including the brief justification from ChatGPT. Lol at the repeat statement for Frank Sinatra and the mis-representation of Georgia on my mind! ChatGPT only understands so much and fakes it when it doesn't know. :facepalm:

Plexamp Sonic Sage:

Your Song - Elton John

Dreams - Fleetwood Mac

Rehab - Amy Winehouse

Thanks I completely forgot about that option! Will include next time. The descriptions/rationale are really cool aren't they! Hope they include an elegant way to save the mixes in the future.

I'll get some input from the 'sage' in the next poll (if there's sufficient interest in this one).

OP
B

bevok

I started this on Roon Roon which has Qobuz and my local library

Always a Woman to me - Billy Joel

Honesty - Billy Joel

Rosanna - Toto
Thanks Capman, have included that as well.

OP
B

bevok

In reflecting on my own choice I realise the perfect mix for me is a combination of great familiar tracks and good but unfamiliar or forgotten ones.

Youtube Music have really taken this to the next step with great options to customise the mix.

IMG_7931.jpeg

Their "Your music tuner" takes it to another extent. At the moment you start by creating a mix based on a number of artists - would be great to see this extended to basing it on songs, genre, albums etc. I'm sure it'll keep developing.

OP
B

bevok

Interesting to see Qobuz leading, I was very tempted by that quite eclectic collection and all songs I like. Think we'll do the next one with the streaming service 'blind'.

My Sonic Sage was a bit different, a little hiccup as it put "She's Always a Woman" at no. 2 in the playlist but apart from that:

Your Song - Elton John
Continuing with another iconic piano ballad that captures the essence of heartfelt emotions

Starting off the playlist with the beautiful and timeless song that inspired it all

The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
Transitioning to a soulful track that complements the introspective nature of the playlist

Delving into the depth of emotions with this iconic folk-ballad that resonates with vulnerability

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
Moving towards the haunting beauty of Leonard Cohen's masterpiece, evoking both awe and melancholy

Fire and Rain - James Taylor
Adding an introspective and contemplative touch with this timeless classic by James Taylor

Don't Know Why - Norah Jones
Bringing in Norah Jones' soothing voice and jazz-infused melodies to create a relaxing atmosphere

Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran
Adding a modern touch with this romantic ballad that perfectly complements the theme of the playlist

Imagine (Ultimate Mix) - John Lennon
Introducing the iconic peace anthem by John Lennon, urging us to envisage a better world

I think with the presence of Norah Jones in both our playlists we can confidently say OpenAI is an audiophile, possibly even a Hifi salesperson or reviewer!

Last edited:
OP
B

bevok

Very interesting to see Qobuz coming through triumphant here, in the sense that they're more known for their human curation than algo features. In fact although they have autoplay there isn't a proper song/artist 'station' available in the GUI. Time for the second poll - this time we'll make it blind.

Barrelhouse Solly

Among the lists, the only songs I like are "Norwegian Wood" and the Ray Charles version of "Georgia on My Mind." It's interesting to see what different algorithms come up with though.

Top Bottom