• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand the point of the "Classic " response, implying that it's a bad argument.
It is a bad argument because it's a non sequitur. If one device is more "revealing" than another (whatever that means), it does not automatically follow that one of these devices will make it possible for you to detect the difference between FLAC and 320 kBit OGG.

TK750

Just because it's overused doesn't mean that it's never right. 10 dollar earbuds etc. are not revealing enough for lossless to be needed. If you don't disagree with that, then I don't understand the point of the "Classic " response, implying that it's a bad argument.
Because it's a common trope that people roll out to defend something there is no evidence of. It's also fairly irrelevant because I'm sure the vast majority of people here are not listening with $10 earbuds but significantly more expensive and supposedly higher end gear.

I'm open to the idea there might be detectable differences between a 320kbps mp3 or whatever lossy compressed codec you like and a 16bit 44.1k lossless file. I'd imagine training ones ear would be necessary and the differences would be very subtle. The thing is I've never seen anyone do/prove this, you'd think there would be some concrete evidence by now in this tired and ongoing debate. Also when people claim they are 'worlds apart' that really sets off the bullshit meter I'm afraid. It's when people start talking about noticing the differences in higher bit rates and sample rates than 16/44.1 that I start to just sigh and think ok pal...

heraldo_jones

I'm a Tidal user mainly because of its usability. If I'm listening to a XXX artist and it finishes Tidal will play a playlist based on similar artists and also recommend me custom playlists of the same style. 2 years ago when using Spotify every time an album came to the end it always played a commercial playlist, en never recommended something of my taste, happening with both free and payed. Also I like the Tidal because it has videoclips and live concerts.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
SOUNDIIZ PLAYLIST TRANSFER

Also, for those who feel tied to one service or another due to extensive library/playlists curation I can recommend Soundiiz.

Pay $4 for one month. Log into all of your streaming accounts via their website et voila it'll copy all of your playlists, favourite albums/artists/tracks across all of the services.

Then cancel.

I do this once every 6 months or so. Means I can flit between services whenever they offer deals and keep abreast of them all.
I use this- word of warning to anyone else reading- it doesnt work with Amazon Music. Confirm its fine with Qobuz, Todal, Spotify

Word of warning for people considering Qobuz if you use large playlists- still has a 999 song cap.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use this- word of warning to anyone else reading- it doesnt work with Amazon Music.
Well, it looks like it can be handy to migrate away from Amazon Music ;) It only seems to support reading your playlists, nothing else.

Booker

Forum Donor
I use this- word of warning to anyone else reading- it doesnt work with Amazon Music. Confirm its fine with Qobuz, Todal, Spotify

Word of warning for people considering Qobuz if you use large playlists- still has a 999 song cap.
One more thing to be aware of Soundiiz. Last year when I was switching from Tidal to Qobuz, I wanted to transfer my content and during payment, the bank canceled my card. After communication with Soundiiz, they gave a decline code from that transaction - "do_not_honor".

But, it was my fault, as I miss the first warning SMS from my bank, and proceeded to another attempt of payment. In the end, I didn't use their premium service.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it looks like it can be handy to migrate away from Amazon Music ;) It only seems to support reading your playlists, nothing else.
Yup, not your favourite albums /tracks. Which for me is far more important than playlists (which I tend to curate on Spotify then sync elsewhere)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

I think tunemymusic is a bit better

This thread is so juicy to read. Antways here my thoughts between files and such.

Mp3 320 and 16/44 FLAC: big difference
Ogg 320 and 16/44 FLAC: small difference
16/44 FLAC and 24/96: no difference

There's gonna people that want proof that I can hear between mp3 320 and FLAC. I'm not gonna provide proof. Mp3 320, for the most part, does a clean cut at 16khz and the format is like almost 30 years old.

MRC01

Major Contributor
The FLACs on these streaming services are pretty much terrible anyways. I heard plenty of 24/192 albums from qobuz sound worse than a Time Life CD. Instead of getting a 480p picture of dog shit like usual, your getting a 4K one, like the FLACs on these services, just a clearer view of shit. Your FLAC album, if your luckily came from a CD from 1986 or if your unluckily came from a $5 Walmart CD clearance bin from 2011 then was ripped with iTunes at the fastest speed. At the end of day, everybody has there choices and if they feel what's given is enough, then so be it.
This is largely true, good recordings are the exception rather than the norm. Except for classical music, which has consistently well engineered recordings and exists outside the blast radius of the loudness wars.

Phoney

It is a bad argument because it's a non sequitur. If one device is more "revealing" than another (whatever that means), it does not automatically follow that one of these devices will make it possible for you to detect the difference between FLAC and 320 kBit OGG.
Okay, maybe just bad wording from me, English is not my primary language. To my understanding some headphones handles mp3 better than others, even amongst higher quality headphones. Whether the last part is true or not I really don't know though, maybe it's just some audiophile bs.

Leporello

Just because it's overused doesn't mean that it's never right. 10 dollar earbuds etc. are not revealing enough for lossless to be needed. If you don't disagree with that, then I don't understand the point of the "Classic " response, implying that it's a bad argument.
No, you are missing the point. The idea that some equipment may not be revealing enough is valid per se. The problem is that instead of providing evidence of audible differences this idea is used as an ad hoc argument to dodge the inconvenient fact that no evidence has been provided.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Okay, maybe just bad wording from me, English is not my primary language. To my understanding some headphones handles mp3 better than others, even amongst higher quality headphones. Whether the last part is true or not I really don't know though, maybe it's just some audiophile bs.
It is not BS. "Handling mp3's" better means there less revealing and/or butter up the music. A revealing speaker/headphones will reveal all the data compression faults and sound worse because of compressed music.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Personally, the choice has become simple, and Spotify actually made the choice for me.
Spotify did not keep their word (that rubs me the wrong way). Plus, Amazon is cheaper.
I was at one point in the camp claiming Spotify has a better UI. Now that opinion has changed. Once you learn the ins and outs of Amazon HD, it's actually better than Spotify.
Would I ever go back to Spotify? Well, anything's possible, so I won't say never. But, currently, no plans to do so anytime soon.

Tatr76

Stopped paying for spotify, sometimes listen to free version. Would not use at all if Amazon integrated more with pi streamer. Use most streaming services, including bandcamp, on phone mostly to check out new music and as a dinosaur if find something I like I buy digital download and/or physical copy and add to local network.

DSJR

Major Contributor
My Gawd I'm so bloody out of date. I play PHYSICAL MEDIA mostly..

Out of curiosity, I downloaded Spotify 'free' a couple of years back, but was put off almost immediately by the clumsiness when I wanted to play different tracks (it kept defaulting to what it thought I'd like and was resolutely stubborn in changing its mind) and the final insult were the SHOUTED overmodulated 'adverts' i couldn't get rid of without playing. As for the sonics, it was ok, but then, I don't think I'm such an anal audiophile (audiophool) as I undoubtedly was once. because my gear's not good enough, or my ears bad? The second one certainly, but I can still hear some differences on a good day as regards the former.. Glad to be out of the worst of it now methinks (famous last words) as the music itself is what rules absolutely!

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
They attract with a long test period.

It is possible that the offers vary from country to country. Amazon Music may not be available in all countries. Though it's been a while since I checked it out. It may have changed.:)
Tidal, perhaps it was only about signing for trial 2021. In any case. Take the opportunity and try some. There is,with great certainty, good test offers in your country, right now. They are fighting over potential new customers.:)
The usual check terms and conditions, so it really is a test period that can end (how and when), what you sign up for and so on.

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-06_18-46-47.png
    shot_2022-01-06_18-46-47.png
    474.1 KB · Views: 55
  • shot_2022-01-06_18-48-29.png
    shot_2022-01-06_18-48-29.png
    156 KB · Views: 57
  • shot_2022-01-06_18-51-16.png
    shot_2022-01-06_18-51-16.png
    1 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

feynman

Interesting timing. I've had a Spotify Premium family plan for a couple of years now, and it's been great for all of us. The Discovery suggestions are shockingly good for my tastes, and the Connect service works well on all of my devices. The UI is nice.

Still, I've just decided to switch to Apple Music after having a few months free trial with one of my daughter's airpods purchase.

Apple has gone lossless at no additional monthly cost ($15 for my entire family)
You can play different streams on different devices at the same time (Spotify a single device at a time)
The Apple library has everything I can imagine wanting
UI is good (once I got used to it after so much time with Spotify)
My local file library integrated seamlessly into it

I'm in an Apple-heavy house, so this is easier for me. We have iPhones, iPads, Macs (though my Windows PC is also running Apple Music), CarPlay in the cars...

I have nothing but good experience with Spotify, but I'll be trying this Apple thing for a while.

p.s. I used Amazon Prime Music for about a year and it was fine too. We are spoiled with good choices it seems.

p.p.s Audio quality...I think I'm not too picky. They all sound great to me.

Last edited:

Adaboy4z

I can't hear a difference as I'm trialing Spotify and Tidal at the moment. Most likely I'll keep Tidal as I like Roon(trial period as well).

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for reminding me about SomehowJazz.com.
I heard about this in the past but couldn't recall its correct name. Have been listening for a few hours now and like what I am hearing.

Top Bottom