• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 23424

I get why you feel this way, but you gotta understand that our brains can easily be fooled... I don't think anyone here is calling you a liar but unless you level matched the two services, made sure they use the same master and compared them blindly, there's simply no way to rule out the possibility that your brain is playing tricks on you, or that your findings are due to another reason (such as incorrect level matching).

Some people would react in the same way you did when discussing cable risers, resonator pucks placed around their room, "hi-end" cabling and other snake oil stuff. Just because you can hear a difference, it doesn't mean there really is such a difference.
Or, to put your patronising post another way:

"There's no difference between Spotify's ****** quality and a 32 bit Hi-Res Qobuz file and if you think you can hear that you're a liar"

Righto.

Mate, save your WAAAAGH I'M MORE SCIENCE THAN YOU rhetoric for the cable crew etc

This knee jerk position renders SO many threads on here an unbearable waste of everyone's time.

gaburko

Or, to put your patronising post another way:

"There's no difference between Spotify's ****** quality and a 32 bit Hi-Res Qobuz file and if you think you can hear that you're a liar"

Righto.

Mate, save your WAAAAGH I'M MORE SCIENCE THAN YOU rhetoric for the cable crew etc

This knee jerk position renders SO many threads on here an unbearable waste of everyone's time.
No, he did not say that.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The question isn't whether it is possible to discern differences between compressed and lossless files if based on the same master. I don't dispute that it is possible to do so. The question is whether it makes any difference to enjoying music, to which for me the answer is an emphatic no.

Phoney

Agreed

Anyone claiming they can't hear a difference between Spotify and Qobuz needs to invest in some Q-Tips and soap. They're night and day.

I do believe that there's an audible difference, but remember not everyone has revealing equipment. If your headphone is low end or forgiving for worse recordings, then spotify will probably sound just as fine. I remember being at my mates house subjectively comparing lossless to spotify, we both agreed that on my Sennheiser HD660s lossless did sound better, while on his Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro we actually kind of preferred spotify to our surprise. I think the DT770 Pro is way more forgiving and that might be why.

Booker

Forum Donor
I was just curious what is behind the question "Will you stop using Spotify now?" Which lead to me opening Spotify, log into my obsolete account, and starting to listen with a free tier. Currently, I am using AM for mobile listening. But where Spotify is number one to me, is the recommendation, that I am missing in AM. So, I will try one month after AM subscription will expire.

If possible, there should be a possibility to vote "Starting now".

Phoney

Classic...:facepalm:
You don't think that some headphones are more forgiving than others? If I use my 10 dollar earbuds then ofcourse I will not need lossless right?? You're missing my point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23424

It's not patronising, we just hold you to the same standards that we would ourselves.
Can you not hear the difference between a 32bit Hi-Res copy of an LP and a lossy Spotify copy?

Simple question.

The answer to which renders your enthusiastically patronising rush to highlight to everyone that you know how AB testing and confirmation bias work (and "oooh, I'm sure nobody is calling you a liar...." thinly veiled digs) as nothing more than a narcissistic, antagonistic, insulting waste of everyone's time.

If you're looking for imaginary virtual high fives from folk for bravely fighting the good fight of science I'd suggest you do so against the Darkos etc, not against fellow members of ASR.

You like Spotify. It's good enough for you. I get that and I'm happy for you. Stop conflating this brand loyalty with your desire to come across all 'sciencey and sh1t'. It's not a good look.

As for "we"..... Oh my.

D

Deleted member 23424

You don't think that some headphones are more forgiving than others? If I use my 10 dollar earplugs then ofcourse I will not need lossless right?? You're missing my point.
Easy now. He'll be asking for a full report on how you level matched your $10 and $800 headphones on his desk by lunchtime.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As I piggy back onto a Duo account with my better half I will continue to use it for what its strengths are, exploration and library management. I actually listen to tidal for mobile and amazon for desktop /hifi.

Suspect the bulk of their existing user base couldn't care less about lossless.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you not hear the difference between a 32bit Hi-Res copy of an LP and a lossy Spotify copy?
They are not the same master. Obviously one can hear the difference. One would also hear it if one would make that 32 bit copy 16/44.1 and encode it as 320 kBit Ogg. What's your point?

Phoney

Easy now. He'll be asking for a full report on how you level matched your $10 and $800 headphones on his desk by lunchtime.
I do believe that higher price doesn't always equal more quality and all that, and I'm not a believer in expensive DACs and amps. But I do believe that some headphones will make lossless more audible than others.. I get that revealing equipment is overused when it comes to discussions about cables, dacs and amps and such, but isn't it fair to use it when it comes to lossless vs lossy in terms of headphones or speakers?

D

Deleted member 23424

I do believe that higher price doesn't always equal more quality and all that, and I'm not a believer in expensive DACs and amps. But I do believe that some headphones will make lossless more audible than others.. I get that revealing equipment is overused when it comes to discussions about cables, dacs and amps and such, but isn't it fair to use it when it comes to lossless vs lossy in terms of headphones or speakers?
What is the point of asking whether someone can hear a difference or not if they can only answer it if their equipment is of low quality?

I get that in many cases "your Hifi isn't resolving enough" is a massive twat-indicator. But when you're discussing the detection of fine details......

Anyway, I've just discovered there's an ignore function on ASR and I'm off to make a brew.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I was just curious what is behind the question "Will you stop using Spotify now?" Which lead to me opening Spotify, log into my obsolete account, and starting to listen with a free tier. Currently, I am using AM for mobile listening. But where Spotify is number one to me, is the recommendation, that I am missing in AM. So, I will try one month after AM subscription will expire.

If possible, there should be a possibility to vote "Starting now".
Added. :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't think that some headphones are more forgiving than others? If I use my 10 dollar earbuds then ofcourse I will not need lossless right?? You're missing my point.
I never said that. But it's a classic argument to dismiss doing any kind of objective and controlled testing, as is once again very evident.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My point is that it is not about the 320kb ogg algoritm which is fine .

But what did the labels upload to this service ( this is out of spotifys controll afaik ?)

And spotify has some wierd loudness settings to faff about with ? ( experiment here )

Comparing streaming services ? to many unknowns to be sure whats the problem ?

I think you have to adress this statically if one service consistently provides "better" material then it's better for you with your material.

On spotify i have had "sounds exactly the same as my CD" and crap experience .I don't think a hifi tier would help here it must be those other factors ?

Phoney

I never said that. But it's a classic argument to dismiss doing any kind of objective and controlled testing, as is once again very evident.
Just because it's overused doesn't mean that it's never right. 10 dollar earbuds etc. are not revealing enough for lossless to be needed. If you don't disagree with that, then I don't understand the point of the "Classic " response, implying that it's a bad argument.

Last edited:
Top Bottom