• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Dumping them because of that jabroni Joe Rogan, trying Pandora again but not too hyped on it (3 months free so tevs) will probably try Tidal again.
Tidal is supposedly the one that gives the most money to artists for every stream.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a Spotify Family subscription for many years. If it was only me, i'd probably go with Amazon Music HD as I also have Prime, the music library is fine and the UI works OK. However, my family were horrified when I mentioned moving away from Spotify...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The lossless thing means little compared to the convenience I have with Spotify....tried a few others but found Spotify the easiest to use over a broader swath of devices....and starting over with stocking a new "library" particularly doesn't appeal. I'm good.

BN1

I am not an audiophile, I went from Pandora free to Spotify free to Amazon Music HD and a few observations:

1) Spotify's ads are more intrusive than Pandora's
2) AMHD (CD, 96, 192) is significantly better SQ than Spotify (<160 kbps) or Pandora (<100 kbps ?) on my primary amp/speakers
3) Spotify Connect and integration with Yamaha MusicCast are superior features with Spot
4) UI's differ but you adjust to them all
5) For distributed audio/background music all sound ok

Bottom line for me, I found a new pleasure in listening to AMHD music on my primary system. Will keep Spotify free for background but will use AMHD when friends are around or I want to listen w/o ads. If I were starting out today, I'd go with Apple or Amazon as they are the best value and their product is likely to get better over time. Hardware/software will be improved and A/A are already into hi-res & spatial audio. Spotify is now lagging.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have heard of Spotify but that is as far as it goes. I have never used it.
I currently have a Qobuz subscription but don't use it much.

contium

Already cancelled. I also sub to Qobuz and Amazon. Was waiting for Spotify to go lossless to dump Amazon. Ended dumping Spotify.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Jesus. Here we go. The usual end to any discussion on here: snidey, condescending, snarky comments and WHERE IS THE WHITE PAPER YOU'VE PRODUCED WITH YOUR FINDINGS. Give it a rest.

If you don't notice any difference between Spotify and Quobuz you have my sympathies.
The lady doth protest too much, methinks

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Or, to put your patronising post another way:

"There's no difference between Spotify's ****** quality and a 32 bit Hi-Res Qobuz file and if you think you can hear that you're a liar"

Righto.

Mate, save your WAAAAGH I'M MORE SCIENCE THAN YOU rhetoric for the cable crew etc

This knee jerk position renders SO many threads on here an unbearable waste of everyone's time.
There are plenty of other places for you to go..

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
It seems that Spotify will not offer lossless, as they said they would in 2021. We do not know when and if Spotify will come with lossless.This is Spotify's only public ,as far as I know, information about lossless:

For my own part. Of course many steaming suppliers now deliver lossless at about the same price (even lower) than Spotify Premium but I do not know if I hear any difference. I have tested, free trial on periods, Qobuz and Amazon Music. I did not get much wiser about it, the sound quality vs Spotify. Thus, for me, it is a matter of usability, UI, functionality. At those points, it was a clear knock out victory for Spotify.:D

By the way, the poll does not specify reasons why you keep Spotify or not. It does not have to be based on the lack of Spotify lossless in itself. The choice of vote may be based on something else.
"It seems that Spotify will not offer lossless" - Do you have any reason to say this? Just the delay? It has to be a very complex process; and it would be a real black eye if they don't. I just think it's taking longer than they anticipated, a common dilemma in large organizations.

Colonel7

I've had a Spotify Family subscription for many years. If it was only me, i'd probably go with Amazon Music HD as I also have Prime, the music library is fine and the UI works OK. However, my family were horrified when I mentioned moving away from Spotify...
Same situation - my kids and wife have been using spotify for years. I'm much more likely to add a 2nd service than swap, and it'll probably happen when I get curious enough about multichannel and atmos, which I think will be a bigger difference than going up from 320 kps.

Edit: I did try Tidal as a 2nd subscription on a $5 for 5 months deal a ways back, but didn't think there was any difference in quality so dropped it.

dshreter

Not quitting Spotify here in the same way I'm not replacing DACs to chase SINAD. I wouldn't even hear the difference, and the network of Spotify Connect support on every audio device I own in addition to the best music discovery, I'm not going anywhere.

BN1

"It seems that Spotify will not offer lossless" - Do you have any reason to say this? Just the delay? It has to be a very complex process; and it would be a real black eye if they don't. I just think it's taking longer than they anticipated, a common dilemma in large organizations.
It has been nearly 5 yrs that Spotify has been trolling "Hi-Fi", I think that they are capable of accomplishing it in that time.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I seriously doubt if any technical issues are preventing Spotify from streaming lossless files. My guess is that the delay is all about what Spotify is (and isn't) licensed to stream and how much it would cost them to relicense content for CD quality streaming.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes, there may be problems with the rollout, but then Spotify could have announced these problems in 2021. They said in February 2021 that more information will come later this year (2021). Completely silent from Spotify until now.

My guess. Not a technical problem with the rollout but that the planned price increase was in principle made impossible due to Amazon and Apple
in 2021 released their catalogs in lossless at no extra cost.

Maybe it depends on what you are, how you look at it.:)

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Yes, there may be problems with the rollout, but then Spotify could have announced these problems in 2021. They said in February 2021 that more information will come later this year (2021). Completely silent from Spotify until now.

My guess. Not a technical problem with the rollout but that the planned price increase was in principle made impossible due to Amazon and Apple

Just a reasonable person who puts more weight on evidence than opinion.

BN1

Agree. Spotify now finds itself in a bad spot (so to speak ...), behind the competition in value & quality. With others offering hi-res & spatial audio and hardware likely coming that takes advantage of these features Spotify's plan to charge extra for "lossless" has gone up in smoke. On the other hand, Spotify's free <160 kbps isn't too bad and maybe the ad revenue is good enough for a while. But I can't imagine that anyone new would buy into their premium level right now, just too many better options available.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will stop using Spotify when i buy an Apple TV 4K for Dolby Atmos mixes with increased dynamic range.

I don’t give two faeces about lossless.

Nicolaas

Wrong question! I will not start using Spotify until they have a lossless hifi tier. I mean the idea of innovation and HiFi is that we make progress in sound reproduction. Now lossless 16bit 44kHz PCM music is available for some 40 years (!!!) now. Why would one possibly go back to 320 kbps compressed MP3 in the year 2022! That's not what I would consider Innovation.

Here on ASR we are looking for the best sounding DAC, Amp, Speakers, Headphones etc. at a certain budget. But why bother at all if the source of your music is flawed....

I never used MP3 and never will.
And I don't get it. Why would anyone be a member of ASR if they only use Spotify MP3 compressed music as their music source.
Come on guys it's 2022, wake-up.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Wrong question! I will not start using Spotify until they have a lossless hifi tier. I mean the idea of innovation and HiFi is that we make progress in sound reproduction. Now lossless 16bit 44kHz PCM music is available for some 40 years (!!!) now. Why would one possibly go back to 320 kbps compressed MP3 in the year 2022! That's not what I would consider Innovation.

Here on ASR we are looking for the best sounding DAC, Amp, Speakers, Headphones etc. at a certain budget. But why bother at all if the source of your music is flawed....

I never used MP3 and never will.
And I don't get it. Why would anyone be a member of ASR if they only use Spotify MP3 compressed music as their music source.
Come on guys it's 2022, wake-up.
You bitch about people using MP3's in 2022 but are willing to listen to dynamic range compressed flac's on these services. Nice

Top Bottom