• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Smith assaults Chris Rock LIVE at the Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally fake. Rock leaned into it with his hands behind his back and Smith threw a very weak and rather effeminate slap.
I thought it to be a kind of strange posture from Will Smith too when he smacked him. For a guy that works out and is supposedly athletic he slapped kind of weirdly and then walked away with a smile on face that was a grin. A very inappropriate expression for the matters at hand. :facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The New Yorker -- FTW (as usual... ahem).

1648511667226.png

JSmith

Master Contributor
Will, will be losing his Oscar.
The Academy is not expected to take back Smith's Best Actor Oscar but is considering some type of sanction, including a potential suspension of his Academy membership. Members are split on whether to revoke the Oscar, while others support the suspension only. However, a new statement from The Academy condemns Smith's actions during the broadcast and says that they have begun "a formal review" of the incident and that they will "explore further action and consequences" following their "Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California Law."

JSmith

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So at the Oscar awards show we saw people turning into violent jack-asses and mean fools IN A HEART BEAT. That how it is folks. In a heart beat someone can turn on you and come at you. That is America exactly. Give a guy like that a semi auto pistol or assault rifle he can shoot off twenty to thirty rounds in a matter of seconds.
Weird. I live in America and it is not like that.

Adaboy4z

Shaun Wayans did a skit 20 years ago pretending to be Chris Rock. He was making fun of the audience and they rushed the stage stomped him out. Hilarious!!

JSmith

Master Contributor

Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally.

I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.

I would also like to apologize to the Academy, the producers of the show, all the attendees and everyone watching around the world. I would like to apologize to the Williams Family and my King Richard Family. I deeply regret that my behavior has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us.

I am a work in progress.

Sincerely,

Will
Has he also privately apologised?

JSmith

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Has he also privately apologised?

JSmith
The “but” negated it in my mind…

charleski

Major Contributor
So at the Oscar awards show we saw people turning into violent jack-asses and mean fools IN A HEART BEAT. That how it is folks. In a heart beat someone can turn on you and come at you. That is America exactly. Give a guy like that a semi auto pistol or assault rifle he can shoot off twenty to thirty rounds in a matter of seconds.
We should be cautious about taking shows by Taylor Sheridan as an accurate depiction of America as a whole. West Texas maybe …

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh lord, another over reaction to spoiled hollyweird folks - who cares, and why?
Here's an antidote (strangely enough, Howard Stern) with Mila Kunis, who is a breath of fresh air:
Not to mention her efforts to help those in Ukraine.

threni

Major Contributor
It's always amusing the read the curious emotional incontinence spewed by US actors. "not indicative of the man I want to be”? Huh? What, when you grow up? You're leaving it pretty late, mate. "There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.” It's a pleasant fantasy to believe we live in a "world of love and kindness" but a quick glance of the window and I think you'll find we don't. "I deeply regret that my behaviour has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us. I am a work in progress". Well, that's one definition. Is there video of Smith's face during the missing 2 seconds where he seemingly switched from laughing at the joke to deciding that he needed to start punching some love back into the world?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's always amusing the read the curious emotional incontinence spewed by US actors. "not indicative of the man I want to be”? Huh? What, when you grow up? You're leaving it pretty late, mate. "There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.” It's a pleasant fantasy to believe we live in a "world of love and kindness" but a quick glance of the window and I think you'll find we don't. "I deeply regret that my behaviour has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us. I am a work in progress". Well, that's one definition. Is there video of Smith's face during the missing 2 seconds where he seemingly switched from laughing at the joke to deciding that he needed to start punching some love back into the world?
He should have said something like:
I got angry. Then I acted violently. That was childish and stupid, and 100% my own fault. I was out of control. I am terribly embarrassed by my behavior, and apparently I need to get help. I am going to get help, to make sure this never happens again. I apologize first and foremost to Chris Rock, who I struck, and who in no way deserved to be hit, and who responded to my violence with grace and kindness that I did not deserve. I apologize to my wife, who I embarrassed. She is more than strong enough to take a joke, unlike me. I apologize to the Academy and other honorees, for I have forever marred this night, their night, drawing the attention they have earned. Finally, I apologize to the audience. As a public figure, I am a role model, even if I do not deserve to be. I need to do better, and I will do better. My apologies to everyone for my violent and inexcusable behavior.

threni

Major Contributor
He should have said something like:
I got angry. Then I acted violently. That was childish and stupid, and 100% my own fault. I was out of control. I am terribly embarrassed by my behavior, and apparently I need to get help. I am going to get help, to make sure this never happens again. I apologize first and foremost to Chris Rock, who I struck, and who in no way deserved to be hit, and who responded to my violence with grace and kindness that I did not deserve. I apologize to my wife, who I embarrassed. She is more than strong enough to take a joke, unlike me. I apologize to the Academy and other honorees, for I have forever marred this night, their night, drawing the attention they have earned. Finally, I apologize to the audience. As a public figure, I am a role model, even if I do not deserve to be. I need to do better, and I will do better. My apologies to everyone for my violent and inexcusable behavior.

"My impressionable son, who excitedly tweeted "That's how we do it" moments after I assaulted the comedian, is clearly also in thrall to violence and needs to work - as do I - on his poor impulse control."

I thought bald people were funny, Will?

ta240

Major Contributor
Weird. I live in America and it is not like that.

A few years back there was a road rage incident around here where the 'wronged' party followed the inconsiderate one into a store parking lot and as he entered the store stabbed him. Witnesses said that guy that did the stabbing immediately looked shocked and tried to help the victim as he lay bleeding on the ground. People too often run on adrenaline and emotions. Around cities of any size it seems like not too many days go by without some sort of road rage incident turning dangerous or deadly anymore. I'm not sure what happened to people's impulse control or ability to handle anger.

The smile on Smith's face as he walked away would seem to say either it was staged or he was just really proud of what he had just done.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chris Rock has been funny at times. I didn't actually watch the Oscars this year. Haven't watched them in decades. I just catch the news about them.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
I just don't get how he was allowed on the premises after the incident. He went and got his award, talked a bit, got approving claps from the audience and all that. Went later to some afterparty having the time of his life it seemed.

When the assault first took place people were still laughing, and you could see it dawned on them that it wasn't a skit after he started telling Chris to get his wife's name out of his mouth.

The Academy folks still seem to be in full oblivious mode as the audience was until half a minute after the incident.. "we're going to review the incident". This level of legal pussyfooting is unbelievable honestly. Just pick a side already, unless you want to be the actual victims similar to the sorts of folks that try driving on the center strips of a alternating two-lane road..

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whichever way I look at this it is poor:

-if it is a set-up then what does it say that they are so desperate for viewers that the organizers and actors are colluding in such a tawdry lie?

-if it is real then a famous actor just committed an arrestable violent crime in front of the world and then everyone went on as if nothing had happened, what does that say about the values of Hollywood and the message it sends to the world?

I am honestly undecided if it was real or fake. I never watched the ceremony (and don’t intend to) but have seen the clips of the incident on the news. The slap itself looked fake but the ranting from Will Smith looked real, but then again Smith is a competent actor and making us believe he is real is what he is paid to do. If it was real then the one and only person who comes out of it looking good is Chris Rock, not for his rubbish jokes (which weren’t especially funny) but taking a slap with his hands at his side without flinching and then moving on with such sangfroid was commendable, especially next to Will Smith’s complete lack of self-discipline and control if it was all real. Then again maybe Chris Rock’s part in it all is more evidence it was a set up.

More interesting than the act itself is the responses it has garnered. People who are usually the first to denounce behavioural lapses have rushed to defend Will Smith when if it had been Joe Sixpack throwing a punch in a bar they’d be demanding the Police do something. Violence is never right, unless someone cracks a joke about your wife in which case throwing a punch is entirely reasonable. A Hollywood establishment which was happy to accept Harvey Weinstein’s turpitudinous behaviour because he made lots of people lots of money but now parts of it feign moral outrage over a slap. The whole thing is grotesque really.

Midwest Blade

Not sure if this has reached the lowest point of all the awards shows over the years but it has to be pretty close. Have been tuning out for most of the shows the past few years, to many are poorly hosted, they run to long with to many mindless inserts and empty jokes and dialogue. I do like to follow the winners and do believe that the industry should recognize and award outstanding contributors. But I firmly believe the awards shows have run their course, time for the industry to come up with something new and drop the curtain. The past few years have seen huge changes in both the big and little screens and how we consume the visual medium, the awards shows and their ratings do not reflect this evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom