• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great "live performance" recordings? (any genre)

Pareto Pragmatic

I did a couple of searches and did not find a thread on this, sorry if my searchfu failed.

What are your examples of really well recorded live performances? I emphasize performance here, as a lot of classical is technically live, but I am looking for those that have audiences present.

Jazz at the Pawnshop, obviously. The Ray Brown Trio, Live at the Loa is pretty good. Sinatra at the Sands? I have not played that in a while, so I am unsure, but my memory is it played back well.

So, what's your go to for "live"?

levimax

Major Contributor
Sinatra at the Sands is great.
Another Stoney Evening : Crosby and Nash
Live at Massey Hall: Neil Young
MTV unplugged: Most are great. Favorites Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Eric Clapton, Mariah Carey, Paul McCartney, Aerosmith (Bootleg)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beck at Ronnie Scott's is my favourite.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Rachmaninoff, Piano Concerto #3: Martha Argerich, Riccardo Chailly, Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra:

OP
Pareto Pragmatic

Pareto Pragmatic

MTV unplugged: Most are great. Favorites Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Eric Clapton, Mariah Carey, Paul McCartney, Aerosmith (Bootleg)

My brain has put MTV unplugged into it's own special category, separate from every other category of recordings. But agreed, definitely some great ones there.

Kind of like the BBC sessions recordings are their own thing in my mind. I'm not sure why. I think it is because the format is first (unplugged, BBC session) and there are various artists available.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I have a shelf-full of concert DVDs (and a couple of Blu-Rays).

Two come immediately to mind:

Queen, Live at Wimbley Stadium.
Roy Orbison,
Black and White Night.

I wasn't a huge fan of either artist but the Queen music & recording in 5.1 is great (possibly better than the "over produced" studio music) and Freddie Mercury's charisma and "connection" with 50,000 people is amazing.

Roy Orbison has a big "all star" band and again the music & recording is great in 5.1.

The Queen video isn't wide-screen (at least on the copy I have).
The Roy Orbison video is in black & white, which I don't really appreciate. I don't remember if it's widescreen.

Somebody mentioned Jeff Beck. I also have Jeff beck, A Tribute to Les Paul. I'd classify that one as "fun"! He has a few guests including Gary U.S. Bonds who comes-out and "takes over" with a great performance for one song. I really didn't know who he was although I had heard his name. In the extra features, Jeff Beck talks about his early interest in Rock & Roll and going to see The Girl Can't Help It (one of the first rock & roll movies) at the theater. So, I had to pick up that movie, which is also "fun" & silly.

Open Mind Audio

Not my go to, and not a genre I listen to often, but I was surprised at how good Judy Garland's "Judy at Carnegie Hall" sounds. Impressive for a 1951 recording.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson - VH1 Storytellers

Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live

OP
Pareto Pragmatic

Pareto Pragmatic

searchfu failed.

Helped to use "album" in the search d'oh!

I tried some, mostly what I had not heard before.
Jeff Beck (Live at Ronnie Scott's)
I need to get this, but not able to stream it right now. But low res made me want more. Same applies to Rachmaninoff, though not my favorite composer.

Judy Garland's "Judy at Carnegie Hall" sounds. Impressive for a 1951 recording.
Very good recording! Too show tune for me, but I did enjoy it for a while. 1961, btw, unless there is another one?

Roy Orbison, Black and White Night.
Been a long time since I listened to Roy, very nice recording for sure. Very clean for live.

Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live
Right in the room with me!

THANKS! I am sure that older thread will keep me busy for a while, but more suggestions appreciated.

just1n

Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My brain has put MTV unplugged into it's own special category, separate from every other category of recordings. But agreed, definitely some great ones there.

IMO MTV Unplugged was some of the best television in the history of that medium.

Lately I've been enjoying the R.E.M. "Live at the BBC" sets quite a bit.

Other specific albums recent rotation:
Iron & Wine KCRW "Morning Becomes Eclectic" ca. 2017 (sadly only on YouTube to my knowledge - the version of "Trapeze Swinger" here is IMO the best recording of the song to date, and will bring one to tears)

Pearl Jam "bootleg" (they're actually officially released by the band) Stadthalle Wien 9/25/2006

Jeff Buckley "Live at Sin-e"

The Postal Service "Everything Will Change"

Perennial favorites:
Bernstein "Ode to Freedom" (Beethoven 9 as celebration of the fall of the Berlin Wall)

Brecker Bros "Heavy Metal Be-Bop"

Natalie Merchant "Live in Concert"

Bela Fleck "Live Art"

Top Bottom