• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie audio-lover here!

OP
D
I agree - I had to start from scratch with a very low budget and bought some cheap speakers, a very cheap chinese chip amp and a ridiculously cheap DAC (check out the review ...https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/worlds-cheapest-dac-review.16594/). It was NOT great but it got me going for a lot less than you are budgeting and it sounded nowhere near as terrible as you'd think.
I don't know the JBL powered speakers but they look good and I reckon if you had those and pretty much ANY DAC it would sound better than a good DAC and something like the Edifiers. There are very inexpensive DAC options with bluetooth. They might not be balanced. You might lose a few dB (but in a small room, not wanting to listen loud that may not matter). And then you can upgrade the DAC when it's convenient... With less good speakers, you'd be looking to upgrade everything.
Thank you.....i am also more inclined towards JBL one's

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Sometimes I wonder if people really want to help or just impose their thoughts.
People have been using unbalanced systems for a lifetime without any problems, and unless you have special configurations or extremely long connections, this doesn't cause any problems. In any case our friend just wants something cheap and good enough to enjoy music with Bluetooth, no rocket science needed, no balanced connections needed, 120db sinad dac nor 10peq filters.
You need two good active speakers with integrated Bluetooth or at most an economical DAC with Bluetooth or simply a small Bluetooth amplifier and two speakers.
This will be not only sufficient but also rewarding, there is always time to improve.
Heartfelt advice. Stop worrying about unnecessary things and buy what you can with the budget you have.
It's really nice when you at least pretend you where following the conversation and read at least part of it selectively. Balanced whose there as JBL's 308P are balanced only similarly as most of studio monitors are. You do need at least PEQ and more than 3~4 filters but better anything than nothing and if you buy big enough speakers you can pass without subwoofer for which you will need multichannel DAC and serious enough DSP. Balanced input monitor aren't really a problem with budget balanced DAC with Toslink input and you can plug WiiM mini but on really low budget you try to find what costs you less. In EU or US I recommend Kali LP V2 series as they have & unbalanced inputs. It's hard to record them in India if the price is 50% higher than mentioned JBL.
Nice you imposed your thoughts.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
People have been using unbalanced systems for a lifetime without any problems, and unless you have special configurations or extremely long connections, this doesn't cause any problems.
That's a statement hinging on a much longer list of Ifs than you might realize. Committing to unbalanced inputs on audio equipment has some far-reaching consequences and will be affecting the entire design.

What you call "special configurations" is exceedingly common these days. I have lost count of how many people have run into trouble trying to connect some studio monitors to their PC with unbalanced cabling and were faced with all sorts of unwanted noises due to the ensung ground loop. JBL LSR30x in particular are also notorious for excessive hiss levels under these circumstances, apparently some common-mode noise from the power supply is getting into the input wiring.

Thankfully, getting a balanced output if you need one is a relatively trivial matter. If an inexpensive audio interface is still breaking the bank (a number of which are creating a balanced output by expending an extra two components per channel), you can solder up adapter cables that should generally get this sort of issue sorted.
fcd5a61624.png

While speakers with BT input would avoid such issues (as would Toslink), they are often on the consumery side of things and either not measuring (and sounding) as well or a fair bit more expensive.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A note on balanced vs single-ended connections to the 3 series JBL speakers (applies to both 308P and 306).
JBL's user manual states "The 3 Series speakers are equipped with balanced XLR and 6mm (¼") TRS inputs for connection to professional computer audio interfaces, mixing consoles, and audio production equipment, as well as unbalanced consumer audio products such as personal music players, consumer audio receivers, and audio visual equipment." (my emphasis).

Sure, it would be better to used balanced connections if you can find a DAC with balanced output. Otherwise, JBL accept the use of single-ended DAC output using converter cables (RCA to XLR, or TRS). I'd suggest that you just don't worry about this.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@JeremyFife thanks for bringing that up, it can use unbalanced ¼ TRS plugs and in that case you put gain switch to - 10 dB. Hopefully it works without problems like that. So you can use unbalanced DAC or streamer/BT and cetera with them,my bad.

OP
D
A note on balanced vs single-ended connections to the 3 series JBL speakers (applies to both 308P and 306).
JBL's user manual states "The 3 Series speakers are equipped with balanced XLR and 6mm (¼") TRS inputs for connection to professional computer audio interfaces, mixing consoles, and audio production equipment, as well as unbalanced consumer audio products such as personal music players, consumer audio receivers, and audio visual equipment." (my emphasis).

Sure, it would be better to used balanced connections if you can find a DAC with balanced output. Otherwise, JBL accept the use of single-ended DAC output using converter cables (RCA to XLR, or TRS). I'd suggest that you just don't worry about this.
Ok..noted

Top Bottom