• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie audio-lover here!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Definitely possible, not difficult at all. @ZolaIII is hoping you will consider a solution using room correction (REW + EQAPO on a laptop) which is certainly a good idea, but adds complexity.

If you do not want perfect to be the enemy of good, and you don't want to involve the laptop, I think the JBL + SMSL or FiiO will work fine. In the future if you choose to upgrade, you can add subwoofers, DSP or laptop for room correction, etc.

You will not be closing off future options by starting with this simple setup. In fact you can always just connect the laptop to the DAC to start using room correction later.

I will concur with Zolalll that a setup with room correction will ultimately sound better, maybe much better. But, you don't have to reach perfection on day 1.
He would have to pull both speakers and listening spot from wall behind to lower the impact of first room refraction down to 5~6 dB from 12~15 which is not possible keaping functionality in such a small room while back to front refractions would be really bad. No way 12~15 dB low bass peak could sound good. If it's not India or at least not very budget limited I would say WiiM and Kali's but it is what it is.

OP
D
Definitely possible, not difficult at all. @ZolaIII is hoping you will consider a solution using room correction (REW + EQAPO on a laptop) which is certainly a good idea, but adds complexity.

If you do not want perfect to be the enemy of good, and you don't want to involve the laptop, I think the JBL + SMSL or FiiO will work fine. In the future if you choose to upgrade, you can add subwoofers, DSP or laptop for room correction, etc.

You will not be closing off future options by starting with this simple setup. In fact you can always just connect the laptop to the DAC to start using room correction later.

I will concur with Zolalll that a setup with room correction will ultimately sound better, maybe much better. But, you don't have to reach perfection on day 1.
Ok..that sounds better...
So i am sticking with JBL + SMSL/FiiO DAC ...now after setting up i will again post here about room correction by using laptop later(hope i will get support then!!!)..and later will add subwoofer also by saving some money

One thing i will ask or rather disturb ()you that beside SMSL and FiiO what other DACs(with bluetooth) i can consider here for this setup??

Because both SMSL/FiiO i have to order from a site that i never used or may be it stuck at customs and i have to pay a hefty import fees(or may be banned due to made in china product because india stopped importing anything that tagged "made in china" due to some political and border dispute reasons) ...i would prefer to get it from a local dealer or like amazon.in/flipkart/ or indian online market place.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You don't need subwoofer with 8" speakers you will have about - 3 dB on 30 Hz in that room and that's plenty even for movie's.

OP
D
He would have to pull both speakers and listening spot from wall behind to lower the impact of first room refraction down to 5~6 dB from 12~15 which is not possible keaping functionality in such a small room while back to front refractions would be really bad. No way 12~15 dB low bass peak could sound good. If it's not India or at least not very budget limited I would say WiiM and Kali's but it is what it is.
Which Kali audio model you are taking about?

OP
D
You don't need subwoofer with 8" speakers you will have about - 3 dB on 30 Hz in that room and that's plenty even for movie's.
In 1½ years my quarter will be changed..then i may get a bigger house(as per my rank in indian paramilitary force, medical cadre)...

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok..that sounds better...
So i am sticking with JBL + SMSL/FiiO DAC ...now after setting up i will again post here about room correction by using laptop later(hope i will get support then!!!)..and later will add subwoofer also by saving some money

One thing i will ask or rather disturb ()you that beside SMSL and FiiO what other DACs(with bluetooth) i can consider here for this setup??

Because both SMSL/FiiO i have to order from a site that i never used or may be it stuck at customs and i have to pay a hefty import fees(or may be banned due to made in china product because india stopped importing anything that tagged "made in china" due to some political and border dispute reasons) ...i would prefer to get it from a local dealer or like amazon.in/flipkart/ or indian online market place.
Hmmmm... almost any cheap DAC is made in China so that is tricky. I am not sure. Pretty much any balanced DAC with bluetooth will work well for you. But finding one that is cheap and not from China - I am not sure.

Probably the Kali IN-8 2 which is considered a little better than the JBL in this range, but it's somewhat more expensive.

OP
D
Hmmmm... almost any cheap DAC is made in China so that is tricky. I am not sure. Pretty much any balanced DAC with bluetooth will work well for you. But finding one that is cheap and not from China - I am not sure.

Probably the Kali IN-8 2 which is considered a little better than the JBL in this range, but it's somewhat more expensive.
Ok i will talk to some people for a balanced DAC which i can find here...otherwise there is an another way to get it from USA for that i will have to wait( by my relatives who lives in USA)

Yes , Kali audio IN-8 2nd wave series is 90,000 INR (PAIR) here in india...too expensive

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
LP V2 line but it's not about Kali's as speakers but that they have & unbalanced input line and then you can hook up something like WiFi streamer like WiiM which also has basic EQ abilities (enough to correct first three room refraction peeks and even up the highs at least for now) and in simple all in one box with phone app.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
In 1½ years my quarter will be changed..then i may get a bigger house(as per my rank in indian paramilitary force, medical cadre)...
If the room whose longer let's say 5 m the first peak would be lower and you could have used it to have let's say 0 dB at 30 Hz instead of - 3 dB.
Go to civil sector and have peaceful life.
In your opinion is this worth waiting?

Last edited:
OP
D
If the room whose longer let's say 5 m the first peak would be lower and you could have used it to have let's say 0 dB at 30 Hz instead of - 3 dB.
Go to civil sector and have peaceful life.
In your opinion is this worth waiting?
I worked previously in civil sector....no increment, very delayed promotion as per other seniors opinion, less respect and many more whereas uniform service has got better perk n privileges...i am happy here..

Didnt watch that movie , so cant tell

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I worked previously in civil sector....no increment, very delayed promotion as per other seniors opinion, less respect and many more whereas uniform service has got better perk n privileges...i am happy here..

Didnt watch that movie , so cant tell
Well after Madame Web I guess nothing will be really bad to watch. Better try to find better deal on Kali's LP 8 or LP 6 (V2 only) in India and ask relative to bring you in WiiM streamer instead. I suppose asking him for speakers would be too much as they aren't neither small or light. Tho didn't even try to search for WiiM in India.

OP
D
Well after Madame Web I guess nothing will be really bad to watch. Better try to find better deal on Kali's LP 8 or LP 6 (V2 only) in India and ask relative to bring you in WiiM streamer instead. I suppose asking him for speakers would be too much as they aren't neither small or light. Tho didn't even try to search for WiiM in India.
Try "The gentlemen" by Guy Ritchie in netflix.
Lets see there are many dealers who deals with Kali audio speakers...just yesterday i am talking with them.
Asking for speakers from my usa relatives will be too much greedy

WiiM or any other balanced DAC i can ask them to bring to me..i searched for WiiM mini in india - its available to only one place @16,000INR and WiiM pro(19,990 INR) and WiiM pro plus(27,990 INR) is easily available. Lets see how can i manage! Hope for best

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@DrArkapravaSimlai the thing is WiiM's are only unbalanced and Kali's have both inputs (balanced/unbalanced). WiiM Pro is quite good enough for speakers, I don’t know for how long will Mini have suports or will it reciver announced upgrades at all it's only good if you already have DAC with Toslink optical input, the Pro Plus have up to date and good DAC but it's not cheap at all and you can pass without that level of performance. App is quite OK and you have BT also, analog inputs, Toslink input for TV and basic EQ and PEQ capabilities which are promised to be extended. US price is about 12.5 K rupies so probably best thing to ask a family member to bring you one in in the maan time you can use any analog output (from laptop or TV or whatever) to Kali's, all you need is appropriate cable. I am in similar position about GPU and bulbs for my projector and will probably ask my best man to bring them to me when it comes to visit this summer. At least he is not family in traditional sense (more like a good friend).

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try "The gentlemen" by Guy Ritchie in netflix.
Lets see there are many dealers who deals with Kali audio speakers...just yesterday i am talking with them.
Asking for speakers from my usa relatives will be too much greedy

WiiM or any other balanced DAC i can ask them to bring to me..i searched for WiiM mini in india - its available to only one place @16,000INR and WiiM pro(19,990 INR) and WiiM pro plus(27,990 INR) is easily available. Lets see how can i manage! Hope for best
WiiM Mini is available for around 5000 INR ($60 USD) in the US on eBay, so if you want to get one of those, ask your relatives to buy it from the official refurbished listing on eBay. I bought several of them from this listing, and while I can't guarantee results, they all looked and behaved 100% new. Not "like new" IMO but new.

The WiiM Mini is nice because it accepts bluetooth input as well as the wifi input, and the built-in EQ is a big help.

OP
D
WiiM Mini is available for around 5000 INR ($60 USD) in the US on eBay, so if you want to get one of those, ask your relatives to buy it from the official refurbished listing on eBay. I bought several of them from this listing, and while I can't guarantee results, they all looked and behaved 100% new. Not "like new" IMO but new.

The WiiM Mini is nice because it accepts bluetooth input as well as the wifi input, and the built-in EQ is a big help.
Looks like good deal..i will look into this matter...thanks for the info

benanders

Physics are physics and it scales with size primary. There are measurements you know of T5 (their sub) and they where not good to say at least. Same goes for crossovers on various models, they got a bit better on newer models with digital one's but still far from reality good. It doesn't make much of a difference for you who just trow the speakers in room and that's it. When you do treatment and correction then you hear the difference very well. As that's the best they have to offer so far 2.1 system with that sub make conclusions on your own. They never had a goal to create something really good just better from similar Logitec offerings and for less money and they achieved that goal alright.
So your answer to my question whether you’ve used Edifier powered speakers in a small room is no? From your reply it seems like you’ve not heard a pair.
IMG_8302.gif

So show me your in room response and I will show you my entire ISO 226 2003 plot including waterfalls.
Nah, that’s cool. Yours is prolly bigger. ;)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
So your answer to my question whether you’ve used Edifier powered speakers in a small room is no? From your reply it seems like you’ve not heard a pair.
View attachment 358401

Nah, that’s cool. Yours is prolly bigger. ;)
It's a small room (mine) and even RT60 decay looks great. It's not that much about speakers more about tuning. Some things of course you can't fix like crossovers for example so if it's broken it's broken. If you want to learn I will help you and I don't sell upgrade kits or anything.

Let's end up with their better offering with digital crossovers.
So is it exactly as I told?
That's in line regarding price with Kali LP 6 V2's which are far, far better and more capable. It's not how big you got but if he is technician.

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sometimes I wonder if people really want to help or just impose their thoughts.
People have been using unbalanced systems for a lifetime without any problems, and unless you have special configurations or extremely long connections, this doesn't cause any problems. In any case our friend just wants something cheap and good enough to enjoy music with Bluetooth, no rocket science needed, no balanced connections needed, 120db sinad dac nor 10peq filters.
You need two good active speakers with integrated Bluetooth or at most an economical DAC with Bluetooth or simply a small Bluetooth amplifier and two speakers.
This will be not only sufficient but also rewarding, there is always time to improve.
Heartfelt advice. Stop worrying about unnecessary things and buy what you can with the budget you have.

OP
D
People have been using unbalanced systems for a lifetime without any problems, and unless you have special configurations or extremely long connections, this doesn't cause any problems. In any case our friend just wants something cheap and good enough to enjoy music with Bluetooth, no rocket science needed, no balanced connections needed, 120db sinad dac nor 10peq filters.
You need two good active speakers with integrated Bluetooth or at most an economical DAC with Bluetooth or simply a small Bluetooth amplifier and two speakers.
This will be not only sufficient but also rewarding, there is always time to improve.
Heartfelt advice. Stop worrying about unnecessary things and buy what you can with the budget you have.
Right at the point man!! That's what all i want

jools

Forum Donor
I agree - I had to start from scratch with a very low budget and bought some cheap speakers, a very cheap chinese chip amp and a ridiculously cheap DAC (check out the review ...https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/worlds-cheapest-dac-review.16594/). It was NOT great but it got me going for a lot less than you are budgeting and it sounded nowhere near as terrible as you'd think.
I don't know the JBL powered speakers but they look good and I reckon if you had those and pretty much ANY DAC it would sound better than a good DAC and something like the Edifiers. There are very inexpensive DAC options with bluetooth. They might not be balanced. You might lose a few dB (but in a small room, not wanting to listen loud that may not matter). And then you can upgrade the DAC when it's convenient... With less good speakers, you'd be looking to upgrade everything.

Top Bottom