• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended F3 for Rock Music

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A 4-string bass has an open E of 41 Hz and a 5-string base with low B has 31 Hz. A fair bit of rock / alt rock / grunge has low-B or de-tuned E (e.g. Into The Void is tuned down 1.5 steps to C#).

A lot of bass has a strong harmonics, so you might just be picking up on the 2nd harmonic of bass lines and your brain fills in the rest.

Is that 60 Hz spec or measured? If it's spec, you likely get some room reinforcement a bit lower than 60 Hz.

I have one room with L100s that are good to maybe 38 Hz (down 3dB from 50 Hz). I have another room with F228be + subs that are good to below 20 Hz. Those are based on UMIK-2 + REW and Arc Genesys measurements. Playing the same music, it's noticeable. That's not a level-matched test. The 15" sub can really be felt in a different way than the L100s.
60Hz measured F3, with room gain I'm not sure. Being sealed though the roll-off is gradual, so that certainly helps. I normally run subwoofers, but currently got rid of everything to start again when I move later this year.

Top Bottom