• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Smith assaults Chris Rock LIVE at the Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... this punch is the only human touch I've seen in years, or perhaps ever, in that scenario or in any other similar scenario. Something sincere, that it's not prepared nor sponsored by anyone ... there is something truly human behind it.
I wasn't so sure. To me it seemed artificial and contrived. There seemed to be a thought process behind it, as if quickly calculating the PC value of reacting -vs- not reacting. A kind of reverse #metoo thing, as if he would be judged badly for letting a tasteless comment about a woman go by unanswered. As if he thought that's how a "real man" should react. Ironically, the opposite should have happened, surely - she should have slapped the guy. That's true empowerment. The whole "Keep my wife's name out of your mouth" is literally scripted - I have seen it in a dozen screenplays recently.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure why anyone is surprised, this is typical behavior from Smith. Although the media has done a pretty good job protecting him and his family.
He has struck fans, and a reporter in the past, however those are quickly forgotten seeing how they were not on live primetime TV.
Let's not forget about the dust up between he and Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton Banks) from the days of The Fresh Prince of Belaire. But that incident backed fire on Will, Alfonso whipped his butt.

I will say regarding this incident, @Inner Space is probably more correct, it all seemed a little bit scripted. A poor attempt to bring Will back into the limelight so to speak. After all, how many even seen the movie, or if they did, think he deserved the nomination and win?
Then you factor in nobody really watches the Oscars anymore. It's all just a little to convenient seeking attention.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
it is so obviously scripted I am a little surprised some think it is real hahahhaha
some obvious giveaways:
1) the other guy takes position for the stunt
2) it has a soundtrack
3) Smith smiles for a brief moment when realizing the fingertips actualy conected a little

Music1969

Major Contributor
Chris Rock seemed to wait for it with his hands behind his back and than rolling to the side along with the slap. He should have ducked under and countered with an overhand right.
Big Will has that Ali training though.

Apparently Jada has had a medical condition where she loses hair for a few years now, so she didn't find it funny for obvious reasons.

The same words that Will said after the slap would have been dramatic enough and made Chris Rock shake in his boots.

The slap was completely unnecessary - and I'm a big Will Smith fan. He went over the top.

Shouting in defence of his wife was all that he needed to do and the room would have still gone silent.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wasn't so sure. To me it seemed artificial and contrived. There seemed to be a thought process behind it, as if quickly calculating the PC value of reacting -vs- not reacting. A kind of reverse #metoo thing, as if he would be judged badly for letting a tasteless comment about a woman go by unanswered. As if he thought that's how a "real man" should react. Ironically, the opposite should have happened, surely - she should have slapped the guy. That's true empowerment. The whole "Keep my wife's name out of your mouth" is literally scripted - I have seen it in a dozen screenplays recently.
I will say regarding this incident, @Inner Space is probably more correct, it all seemed a little bit scripted. A poor attempt to bring Will back into the limelight so to speak. After all, how many even seen the movie, or if they did, think he deserved the nomination and win?
Then you factor in nobody really watches the Oscars anymore. It's all just a little to convenient seeking attention.
At the beginning that was my thought, but I decided to believe it. You are more informed than me, so you're probably right and I'm just a fool thinking about this. Sad either way.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I was afraid I missed something.

Back to my regularly scheduled/choreographed programming...

Best Chris Rick piece ever...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chris Rock didn‘t press charges. Maybe because it was scripted or he didn‘t want to look like a weak douche after making fun of a woman with a condition.
What I mean is that, were it somebody unknown, he would have been thrown out of the hall by vigils at once. But it's Will Smith so he can just go sit back, and even climb on stage again to receive a prize later. This is crazy.

ta240

Major Contributor
......Apparently Jada has had a medical condition where she loses hair for a few years now, so she didn't find it funny for obvious reasons.....

The classy response would have been "I know as a comedian you look for anything anywhere to make fun of; but she has a medical condition and there are a lot of people out there with alopecia. Please don't make it look like it is okay to make fun of someone for it"

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't blame him, when it comes to my partner 'rational thought' is like number 9 on the list of my priorities.

I would slap someone for much less, yet along making fun of someone's MEDICAL CONDITION.

The only thing that makes this 'looks bad' is that one of the parties involved is famous.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow! I thought at first that it was a sketch. But no.

Man, comedy has certainly lost it's way. I thought the joke was funny and not mean spirited.

Will needs to go easy on the steroids me thinks.
The body angles in that photo seem like staging to me. Will not putting his weight into it (which is a good thing). But this is just teenager crap.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Call me old fashioned, but if you don’t have a problem with your wife having sex with other men, you shouldn’t get too worked up about a joke about her scalp condition. Just my opinion.

ta240

Major Contributor
Call me old fashioned, but if you don’t have a problem with your wife having sex with other men, you shouldn’t get too worked up about a joke about her scalp condition. Just my opinion.

One thing is for certain, with these two things I know more than I think I ever wanted to know about them.
Yes, I know, I clicked on this thread but all morning they were teasing a story about it on the radio.

bkdc

Forum Donor
Chris Rock doesn’t need to say that he isn’t pressing charges. That is a civil matter.

This is a criminal matter and there is ample evidence for the DA to press charges against Will Smith for battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom