• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wild places, post em if you got em...

mansr

Major Contributor
Weren't we told the other day that landscapes are boring and we shouldn't bother taking such pictures?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah post 45 was excellent.

I was just looking at the metadata for that photo. It was taken almost ten years ago on an iPhone 4. I wonder how an iPhone 12 would have done by comparison? Smartphones are really amazing devices.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top photo is Western Newfoundland, Gulf of St. Lawrence (Thanks to ASR I know I am a snapshotter not photographer). Bottom photo I am not sure where from --it was in a "Saddleback ME" folder but that doesn't look correct to me. Somewhere in New England! [edit: now I remember stopping at Cannon Mt. on my way to Saddleback, so a view from Cannon]
NL.jpg
ME.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Weren't we told the other day that landscapes are boring and we shouldn't bother taking such pictures?

That's what an unfortunate MIT study hinted at. I also questioned it's validity.

@pjug the top photo isn't a snapshot, but it could benefit from a level horizon, more contrast and saturation.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what an unfortunate MIT study hinted at. I also questioned it's validity.

@pjug the top photo isn't a snapshot, but it could benefit from a level horizon, more contrast and saturation.
Yes I noticed the horizon. They are indeed snapshots; I only ever carry a small cheap camera or phone.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Jdunk54nl

Here are some from Peru and Machu Picchu
IMG_6987 copy.JPG

IMG_6895 copy.JPG

IMG_7279 copy.JPG

IMG_7096 copy.JPG

IMG_7182 copy.JPG

Town of Agua Caliente, the base camp area for Machu Picchu
IMG_7516 copy.JPG

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Here are a couple more from Antelope Canyon. Beautiful place to visit:

Horseshoe Bend a few minutes from Antelope Cany

After seeing that one movie - 127 hours I think it was called? Those may be beautiful places to visit, but I'd be very scared >_>

Jdunk54nl

After seeing that one movie - 127 hours I think it was called? Those may be beautiful places to visit, but I'd be very scared >_>

Antelope canyon is a tourist destination, it isn't a self explore slot canyon. You have to have a reservation and it is through the local Native American Tribe since it is on their land.

Plenty of other very cool slot canyons, just don't go alone and problem solved :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean like in that volcano shot above?
All of the "rules" of composition may be broken, but they should be broken gracefully. The volcano shot has leading lines into the point of interest which make up for it being in the exact center of the image. In both of your images I would crop off the sky at the top, increase contrast, and saturation. You have good tools and might as well get the most out of them.

mansr

Major Contributor
All of the "rules" of composition may be broken, but they should be broken gracefully. The volcano shot has leading lines into the point of interest which make up for it being in the exact center of the image. In both of your images I would crop off the sky at the top, increase contrast, and saturation. You have good tools and might as well get the most out of them.
I don't recall requesting a lecture from you.

Top Bottom