• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wild places, post em if you got em...

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Big Falls State Park in West-Central Wisconsin

Big-Falls7-e1318936971775.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Flowers in the Harz mountain region in Germany. Sorry for the quality, i have a potatoe phone:

IMG_2021-07-31-20-20-48-505.jpg
IMG_2021-07-31-20-23-01-490.jpg
IMG_2021-07-31-20-23-44-146.jpg
IMG_2021-07-31-20-15-44-730.jpg
IMG_2021-07-31-20-26-39-094.jpg
IMG_2021-07-31-20-18-24-115.jpg
IMG_2021-08-01-10-22-07-914.jpg
IMG_2021-08-01-10-23-56-125.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure I've seen near identical if not identical wild flowers in British Columbia, Canada. So many similarities. Probably explains why Germans like it there so much and move there to live.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure I've seen near identical if not identical wild flowers in British Columbia, Canada.
Why would Canadians import German wild flowers?:p
Nietzsche.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would Canadians import German wild flowers?:p
View attachment 194082
Though a funny thing to think it is a big topic. There are many flowers and other plants that have been imported from abroad and have thrived in the wilderness environment as well as peoples' gardens and greenhouses. My mother was a avid gardener and knew all sorts of stuff about wild and domestic plants and she could walk around the garden and the surrounding area and show off the various plants that are not natural to the area and where imported over hundreds of years by enthusiasts and professionals. Flowers, veggies, fruit trees etc all from Europe and other places far away. Most of the ~60 fruit trees she had where not natural to the region, all from Europe and Mediterranean. There are microclimate areas in BC that have long growing seasons and the right conditions for peaches, cherries, grapes and other sensitive and delicate trees. Just like in Europe where wineries exist in microclimates. It's a matter of pride and a bit of gloating too to have imported trees and garden plants.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Though a funny thing to think it is a big topic. There are many flowers and other plants that have been imported from abroad and have thrived in the wilderness environment as well as peoples' gardens and greenhouses. My mother was a avid gardener and knew all sorts of stuff about wild and domestic plants and she could walk around the garden and the surrounding area and show off the various plants that are not natural to the area and where imported over hundreds of years by enthusiasts and professionals. Flowers, veggies, fruit trees etc all from Europe and other places far away. Most of the ~60 fruit trees she had where not natural to the region, all from Europe and Mediterranean. There are microclimate areas in BC that have long growing seasons and the right conditions for peaches, cherries, grapes and other sensitive and delicate trees. Just like in Europe where wineries exist in microclimates. It's a matter of pride and a bit of gloating too to have imported trees and garden plants.
Right. I'm always stunned when i think about the fact that they grow fine wine grapes in Germany, as far north as Dresden:

As for these specific wild flowers, i suspect their seeds propage in the feathers of travelling birds or sometimes favorite winds, as they all have small seeds. There have been several bridges between north America and Europe/Asia, so that would be another way.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
ight. I'm always stunned when i think about the fact that they grow fine wine grapes in Germany, as far north as Dresden:
On the subject of German alcohol beverages Canadian breweries import brew masters from Germany to run the operations. Germany is now missing some renowned brew masters...lol. It was the way for the best beers to come to fruition and to train the locals to have the same standards that Germany has for beer. Some very good beer has resulted from this. I've had a few different kinds of beers brewed by German brew masters in Canada and they all where very good and delicious. This a yummy thick dark beer from a German brew master at a brewery that a friend worked at. I've spent too much buying this stuff. ;) It goes very well with pickles and chocolate chip cookies at the same time. Really nice beer. It won several world renowned beer tasting competition/award things over the years. I can gulp this stuff as long as it does not run out and I don't pass out. :D It's a shame that they only offer it in cans now. It was supplied in a very long tall nice dark bottle with classy shiny metal foil labels before the cans came. Basically the brewery that made this special beer was bought by a huge corporation because the brewery was making so much money and the new corporation cut out the expensive bottles to save costs. So we are being Germanized in beer. :p
Screenshot 2022-03-21 025340.png

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the subject of German alcohol beverages

Hope it doesn't shock you, but this German prefers Czech beer:
Pilsner-Urquell-1.jpg

With some luck it's sold in your area so you can try it. Well worth the trouble, even if you have to import it yourself.

A bit like Fentimans Cherry Coke. It's 4€ (price went way up since Brexit) for a tiny 250ml bottle, but well worth the money:
07c9c643e31bcb202d5aff6c0e09b363.jpg

Here is some wilderness to get back on topic.

In 2018 there was a very severe drought in Germany, most forests took heavy damage. Here is some patch in the Harz mountain region where almost every tree died, three years later:
IMG_2021-07-31-20-46-29-612.jpg
IMG_2021-07-31-20-46-37-485.jpg
This forest is "Urwald" and they will not replant or clean it up. The idea is to let this be taken over by nature, resulting in a more robust forest that adapts faster to climate change, eventually.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hope it doesn't shock you, but this German prefers Czech beer:
I bought some tasty Urquell beer and found it to taste like Canadian beer. Or maybe Canadian beer tastes like it. :D We have many pilsners here and the better ones are like Urquell. So I never bought anymore of that stuff.

That looks very hazardous. We have very serious forest fire issues in Western Canada at this time. The forest management/logging in Western Canada where the big coniferous forests are has been ongoing for hundreds of years and some of it is 3rd growth and apparently some is even 4th growth after being logged. The issue is that the natural burns have not occurred due to the efficient forest management and now the forests are prime for fires. Logging in Western Canada is very big business and the forest management has statistics for growth to the degree they know ~how many cubic meters grow per second. I read a forest management pdf a few years ago and the accuracy they have is astonishing. As you may know we have lost entire cities over the recent 10 years to forest fires. Western Canada is mostly wilderness and the terrain is mountain valleys. The small amount of habitable land is in the low river valleys and the rest is wild and so if a fire comes it comes right to the town and burns everything. We had one small town aflame in ~24 minutes a year ago. ~24 minutes for everything to be aflame is scary stuff. So some decisions need to be made about forest management and natural burns. I am all for logging it as effectively as possible but there is only so much the logging industry can sell and the supply is exceeding demand. So it looks like we are going to be having some more fires and making way for them to naturally burn so that the natural cycle of burns and growth can occur as happened before humans started managing the forests.

Then we have the invading Asian Beetle that was found in Canada I think in the 1990's.. It came from well.. Asia...lol. Anyway it eats the inner bark of the tree and kills it. So we have major swaths of forest killed off and it looks like those pictures that you posted of the drought damage. The trees being killed is the first issue. The other issue is dead dry tree fires and the third issue is that in Western Canada it is mountains and the trees being killed will cause massive erosion of the terrain. In 50-100 years there is going to be some very very very serious erosion issues. The beetles only die in cold that is maybe -34C for 3 days or more and they winter ~1.4 meters or deeper underground where cold and fire can't get to them or the eggs. So they are near un-killable without killing everything in the forest.

So... I think that drought damage in Germany is going to be a major issue for erosion and other stuff.
Tree.jpg

Top Bottom