• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

Ykar

Hi all. I have a wiim mini connected aux to a pair of acrive loudspeakers and a usb disk connected to my router as a nas. I have more than 1000 flac folders, one for album. With other app i can see and play through airplay all my collection, but with wiimi app, i can only browse up to letter ‘J’ folder and it doesnt collect more ….

There is a limit to folders app can recognize? Please help me thankyou

iconoclast

If you go into the app you can choose the resolution of audio, I think its set to 16 bit 44khz by default, I set it the highest possible and everything seems to work ok.
I didn't realize that multi-room is downsampled to 16/48. When I finally managed to figure that out and knew what to search for, I found a post here on ASR mentioning that the amazon.com page has a little blurb about that. Sneaky.

From what I can find out that's a firmware limitation of LinkPlay. The LinkPlay hardware supports 192 kHz but not the firmware for some reason?

Brantome

Major Contributor
I didn't realize that multi-room is downsampled to 16/48. When I finally managed to figure that out and knew what to search for, I found a post here on ASR mentioning that the amazon.com page has a little blurb about that. Sneaky.

From what I can find out that's a firmware limitation of LinkPlay. The LinkPlay hardware supports 192 kHz but not the firmware for some reason?
How is it sneaky if there’s “a little blurb” on its amazon page? Also, ”hi res multiroom” is listed on their roadmap. And do you really need better than 16/48 in multi room “party” mode?

iconoclast

How is it sneaky if there’s “a little blurb” on its amazon page? Also, ”hi res multiroom” is listed on their roadmap. And do you really need better than 16/48 in multi room “party” mode?
The blurb is not in the manual. Nor is it on amazon.de where I bought the device. Call me crazy but I consider that to be sneaky.

Generally that's fine. For my use case, it would be "more fine" if it resampled/reclocked to have an independent sample rate, because it proved to be a problem for my setup. Uncommon use case I'm sure.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As the communication is not encrypted, you could sniff the traffic and recreate the original high-res digital content bit correct.
That is the reason why all these systems have what seems to be arbitrary limitations.

Last edited:

BDE

[...] Last but not least, a quick world about digital volume implementation. This is what I get when measuring the same 1kHz tone (Wi-Fi In, 44.1kHz) at different levels:
Fixed: -141.8dB THD+N
≃75%: -138.2dB THD+N
≃50%: -131.5dB THD+N
≃25%: -115.5dB THD+N
≃10%: -99.6dB THD+N
[...]​
Is it a normal behavior, so a good volume implementation and fine to use?

Is it possible to specify which source the Wiim uses after switched on? e.g. always use the SPDIF input as standard/ after connecting to power.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Is it possible to specify which source the Wiim uses after switched on? e.g. always use the SPDIF input as standard/ after connecting to power.
why would you switch it off?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it a normal behavior, so a good volume implementation and fine to use?
Yes - as is the case for all well implemented digital volume controls

Reactions: BDE

Pritaudio

Does anyone else get crackles in the sound every so often on the wii pro?
no other streamer I’ve had does this.
wonder what kind of algorithm is causing this.

also, there seems to be a substantial delay when passing through another source spdif optical as the spdif output.
I am currently using Sonos connect optical to Wiim pro as output, and the sound does not sync with the sound from other Sonos speakers.
haven’t even tried optical output of my tv, as that will be more problematic with lip sync.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone else get crackles in the sound every so often on the wii pro?
no other streamer I’ve had does this.
wonder what kind of algorithm is causing this.

also, there seems to be a substantial delay when passing through another source spdif optical as the spdif output.
I am currently using Sonos connect optical to Wiim pro as output, and the sound does not sync with the sound from other Sonos speakers.
haven’t even tried optical output of my tv, as that will be more problematic with lip sync.
It won't sync because you have another layer of buffering in the Wiim.

Also the WIIm seems not to work very well with optical input and ouput.

JLGF1

and the sound does not sync with the sound from other Sonos speakers.
Have you tried adjusting the time latency with the manual slider adjustment?

Pritaudio

doesn't seem to work with optical input/output?
That's what it's built for. forget the dac section, but digital has to be perfect.
Is this something that can be fixed with firmware? or is it the parts?

morillon

Major Contributor
doesn't seem to work with optical input/output?
That's what it's built for. forget the dac section, but digital has to be perfect.
Is this something that can be fixed with firmware? or is it the parts?
these situations have been a problem from the start on the pro... in out toslink etc
hope that this somewhat unfortunate experience will have been considered from the design on the next pro "plus" and will no longer be a problem monopolizing energies
;-)

Pritaudio

can someone recommend a spdif optical/coaxial switch/output convertor.
something that doesn't introduce further distortion.
That way I can use the spdif coaxial from the Wii pro, and not use the optical passthrough of the Wiim
Inexpensive but reliable.
im not sure if any suitables have been reviewed/measured on this forum.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
can someone recommend a spdif optical/coaxial switch/output convertor.
something that doesn't introduce further distortion.
That way I can use the spdif coaxial from the Wii pro, and not use the optical passthrough of the Wiim
Inexpensive but reliable.
im not sure if any suitables have been reviewed/measured on this forum.
I can recommend a great switch which can output the signal on both coax and toslink in parallel way:

muad

these situations have been a problem from the start on the pro... in out toslink etc
hope that this somewhat unfortunate experience will have been considered from the design on the next pro "plus" and will no longer be a problem monopolizing energies
;-)
Damn, I just bought the pro to use between my PC (opt out) and minidsp 2x4hd.

So it sound alike this won't work....

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It's an interesting and highly probable scenario when an audio stream is reclocked on the WiiM first and on miniDSP later again.

Romario

I use my CD player connected via toslink to the pro and digital out to the dac of my integrated amp. No issues ( so far)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn, I just bought the pro to use between my PC (opt out) and minidsp 2x4hd.

So it sound alike this won't work....
Toslink out to the minidsp should be fine. So should usb out (if it has it). Toslink in seems to be a little dodgy.

Top Bottom