• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADC device for WiiM Pro

iconoclast

I want to bypass the ADC.
I'd prefer not to have my entire audio chain in 48 kHz due to WiiM/LinkPlay multi-room limitations, but I'm fine with it when doing multi-room with a USB DAC as source.
I'd also like to avoid having to get an RME ADI-2 Pro (I believe SteadyClock FS would work for this) due to cost reasons. Is there a lower cost standalone device out there that people are using?

JLGF1

Pretty much any DAC with a Toslink input.

I use the Fosi K5 and use the tone controls as pseudo shelf filters until the WiiM PEQ comes along (supposedly in late July).

OP
I

iconoclast

I am afraid it is not that simple for my use case. I will try to explain it without having to draw things.

When using multi-room, and using the WiiM Pro S/PDIF input as source for the multi-room, the input cannot be above 48 kHz or there will be silence (I have tested this extensively, with much hair tear-out). It doesn't downsample.

I want to use my computer where I do the bulk of my media consumption as main source for both the setup in that room, and being able to pipe that audio to the rest of my house.

But I do not want to have to switch the output sample rate of the computer to 48 kHz whenever I want to use multi-room. That will get old really fast.

So I want >48 kHz output on the computer that gets piped to my Genelec setup in that room, and then have a (digital) branch off that audio into a downsampled/reclocked 48 kHz WiiM/LinkPlay world.

I have concluded I need an ADC in the chain. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am. The only one-stop units I believe could do all of this is RME ADI-2 Pro FS (and the 2/4), and I love RME gear (I have an UFX for music production), but I am trying not to spend exorbitant amounts of money on this.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you prefer an DAC-ADC-DAC over resampling?

Also, your setup is still not very clear, can you expand on that?

OP
I

iconoclast

Why would you prefer an DAC-ADC-DAC over resampling?

Also, your setup is still not very clear, can you expand on that?
I need to do the resampling somewhere, that's what the ADC is going to do before it passes on a digital signal to the WiiM (since that input is transparent). @VintageFlanker showed that the WiiM Pro's ADC is very poor.
Is there an option I am missing here?
I guess I need to draw a picture. I'll get back on that. I am guessing most people are using WiiM with streaming apps and do not have similar issues. I, however, do not.

OP
I

iconoclast

On a high level this is what I want to achieve

Code:
- Computer (96 kHz. I listen to a lot of 24/96 material, and I do music production at that fidelity as well and want to do critical listening of that in this room as well)
  - DAC
    - [96 kHz] Genelec w/ GLM (long term AES/EBU, but analog right now)
    - Headphones
    - [48 kHz] WiiM Pro (S/PDIF)
      - a bunch of rooms
This would be great
Code:
- Computer
  - DAC/ADC
    - Genelec
    - Headphones
    - WiiM Pro
A less expensive alternative I am considering (hence this thread)
Code:
- Computer
  - DAC
    - Genelec
    - Headphones
    - ADC
      - WiiM Pro
Currently this is what I'm working with:
Code:
- Computer
  - Topping D10 Balanced (might change it to an SMSL PO100 AK)
    - [TRS] Genelec 7350A/8320APM w/ GLM
    - [Coax] Topping DX5
      - Headphones
    - [S/PDIF] WiiM Pro   <--- this is my limiting factor now. If this is not 48 kHz the device is nonfunctional for multi-room use
      - a bunch of WiiM Minis and a few other LinkPlay devices

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn’t the WIIM automatically downsample to 48 kHz for multi room?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, that is the crux.
Not according to this post:

OP
I

iconoclast

From my tests, it will be downsampled as long as you do not use the S/PDIF input, so streaming from the app for instance. I would guess it is probably being downsampled in software and not hardware.

I received word from the support saying, and I quote, "[t]his is a limitation of WiiM Pro and it only supports up to 48kHz via SPDIF input", but as I didn't fully agree with that wording in a general sense, I've asked for clarification that the statement only applies to multi-room (since it does support passthrough of 192 kHz via the S/PDIF in/out), but haven't received an answer yet.

zeropoint

Perhaps you need something like a Behringer SRC2496 Ultramatch Pro?

ultramatch.jpg

OP
I

iconoclast

I didn't end up finding anything for a moderate amount of money, but my main gripe with WiiM Pro has been resolved with the latest firmware update:

Optical Input Boost: Now enjoy multi-room audio over 48 kHz/16-bit on optical input

Even if it internally resamples (unclear), this means it's no longer a lowest common denominator in my audio chain.

Top Bottom