• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer recommendation (not WiiM Pro)

OP
red_kk

red_kk

Forum Donor
While that is the case with an Apple TV 4K and an iPhone using the Apple Music app, it is not the case using Tidal as Tidal Connect is not supported from an iPhone to an Apple TV.

I’m assuming this is an older Apple TV with an optical port as the new models do not have an optical port and the SU-9n does not have an HDMI input port of any kind. The older Apple TVs support Airplay but not Airplay 2 and other limitations will be present here as well.

Here, Tidal Connect only works when using the iPhone with the Wiim Pro. The Apple Music Airplay handoff does not apply when using another music service app. I don’t know that it works at all with an old Apple TV. I guess I could dust one of my old ones off and hook it up and try it.
Yes it’s an older Apple TV with optical cable. I tried running Apple Music on it this morning but couldn’t login to my account. I’m giving up at this point and sticking to WiiM with Tidal since it’s working so well. Apple Music is still my preferred choice due to the wide selection of music but AirPlay sucks big time.

OP
red_kk

red_kk

Forum Donor
Is Denon in Direct mode when listening to music?
Yes Pure Direct.

I connected the DAC outputs to CD in of the Denon and connected PreAmp out of the denon to my Amplifier.
Clearly Denon either is not doing a good of preamp or it doesn’t like the voltage out coming of the DAC

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AirPlay sucks big time
Airplay doesn't suck. It works exactly as it should right across all Apple products and has for years. It is old now and should either be updated or replaced with new tech.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
red_kk

red_kk

Forum Donor
Airplay doesn't suck. It works exactly as it should right across all Apple products and has for years. It is old now and should either be updated or replaced with new tech.
Yes that’s what I meant :)
it works very well but just not as good as Spotify connect in terms of usability and connecting with several systems.

OP
red_kk

red_kk

Forum Donor
Are you sure its Apple Music? Likely its iTunes (not the same).
I used to play Apple Music on my phone and airplay the music out to the Apple TV.

Now after your suggestion I tried opening the Apple Music App on the Apple TV but it is asking me to purchase content. I’m not able to use my Apple Music account

OP
red_kk

red_kk

Forum Donor
I think the solution to all of this is to purchase an iPad mini and use it as my music playing device. I’ll still keep the WiiM pro and use it either as an Airplay endpoint or use Tidal connect as I please. It’s time for the old Apple TV to go.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes that’s what I meant :)
it works very well but just not as good as Spotify connect in terms of usability and connecting with several systems.
Airplay still has better specs than Spotify.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to play Apple Music on my phone and airplay the music out to the Apple TV.

Now after your suggestion I tried opening the Apple Music App on the Apple TV but it is asking me to purchase content. I’m not able to use my Apple Music account
You sure its not iTunes? Apple Music is only on the newer Apple TV's

OP
red_kk

red_kk

Forum Donor
You sure its not iTunes? Apple Music is only on the newer Apple TV's
It’s probably iTunes but they are calling/branding it as Apple Music when the app is displayed. There is no mention of iTunes at all

Tre2023

The TV and MUSIC apps in the older Apple TV models were iTunes MOVIE/TV and MUSIC apps. The Apple TV+ and Apple Music subscription apps are not supported on them.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s probably iTunes but they are calling/branding it as Apple Music when the app is displayed. There is no mention of iTunes at all
If I'm not mistaken Apple Music starts of 3rd generation and up. If you have a optical out then its 2nd or less.

OP
red_kk

red_kk

Forum Donor
Airplay still has better specs than Spotify.
yes hence I’m focusing on Tidal now. Spotify can have a monopoly on streaming with their Spotify connect, vast music library and podcasts if they can only support HiRes and lossless music

OP
red_kk

red_kk

Forum Donor
I do

I do understand it. If you have Apple Music setup on Apple TV simply select it from your iphone. Then your iphone is in fact a remote. In my case I can stream to Dietpi 44/16 or Apple 4K 48/24 in the latter case the phone is acting as a remote for Apple Music on Apple TV. The disadvantage is the TV is on.

View attachment 364875
How do you connect Apple TV4k to your DAC?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
red_kk

red_kk

Forum Donor
Apple TV > TV > optical out > DAC.
I see. I have all my devices connected to the AVR which is like a central hub so this is not possible for me. Anyways WiiM pro seems like a much needed device for me and after fixing all the issues I’m very impressed by it and extremely happy with the performance.

Last edited:

OG1950XXX

I’m looking for a streamer recommendation for my system which can play Tidal Max/Hifi via connect.

This is my system

Apple TV -> SMSL SU9n DAC -> Parasound A31 Amp -> KEF R11 speakers

I’m currently using Apple TV Gen 2 as my streamer and use my phone to airplay Apple Music. I don’t like to use airplay and hence looking to replace the Apple TV with a good streamer which works with Tidal.

I tried WiiM Pro but I didn’t like the sound. Clearly the base, highs mids everything was out on my face and made my speakers too bright. I couldn’t listen for more than 15mins.
Clearly I don’t like the sound signature of this setup with WiiM Pro. I didn’t like B&W tower speakers for the same reason when I auditioned them.

Can anyone suggest a good streamer costing $500.
I would agree with you about the WPP however since you have it add R7 and you will be amazed

Top Bottom