• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there SPDIF or Optical Audio to HDMI output converters?

graystreet

I seem to be coming up empty with this search, but is a SPDIF to HDMI converter or an optical audio to HMDI converter a thing? I'd like to send my digital audio signal from my WiiM Pro streamer to my AVR via HDMI so I can have it turn on automatically and switch to the source when I send a Tidal Connect or Amazon Alexa Cast track to the WiiM. Maybe that would require ARC as well?

My Denon AVR and WiiM are in a closet, so it's not easy to change sources and power on without a source that's connected to the AVR via HDMI. My NVIDIA Shield and LG TV remote controls have no issue with this.

Anyway, it's a bummer that it's 2023 and we're still not able to easily get rid of line of sight requirements. My only workaround at the moment is to not use the music streaming service's app and instead rely on the clunky HEOS app implementation.

yulun

I am DIYing a product like this, which has 4 channels of AES/EBU or 4 channels of SPDIF input via HDMI. The audio format only supports PCM

Roland68

Major Contributor
I seem to be coming up empty with this search, but is a SPDIF to HDMI converter or an optical audio to HMDI converter a thing? I'd like to send my digital audio signal from my WiiM Pro streamer to my AVR via HDMI so I can have it turn on automatically and switch to the source when I send a Tidal Connect or Amazon Alexa Cast track to the WiiM. Maybe that would require ARC as well?

My Denon AVR and WiiM are in a closet, so it's not easy to change sources and power on without a source that's connected to the AVR via HDMI. My NVIDIA Shield and LG TV remote controls have no issue with this.

Anyway, it's a bummer that it's 2023 and we're still not able to easily get rid of line of sight requirements. My only workaround at the moment is to not use the music streaming service's app and instead rely on the clunky HEOS app implementation.
Have you already found a solution?
Is it a problem to switch the input on the receiver with a remote control? If it's just the cabinet doors, there are remote extenders that make your devices available for remote control.
One of the next WiiM boxes could also have HDMI, as it is already implemented in the AMP.

popej

I'd like to send my digital audio signal from my WiiM Pro streamer to my AVR via HDMI so I can have it turn on automatically and switch to the source when I send a Tidal Connect or Amazon Alexa Cast track to the WiiM.
This feature is called HDMI-CEC. I think this protocol require CPUs on both ends. Simple converter won't be enough.

Top Bottom