• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried reading through the replies but I couldn't find any reference about the equipment used for this measurement. I see REW but I do not see what ADC was used.
I'm sure giving the review a proper reading to begin with should enlighten you...;)

pertinante
It's pertinente.

horias2000

Forum Donor
the analog performance of the wiim is so low.. the difference with the performance is such that the measurements with your q401 will be just as relevant " pertinante"...
Yes, indeed. For the WIIM, the QA401 would suffice. But for better DACs or pre-amps it's not enough. In the original post I see noise floor at -180dB. That is extremely good. That is why I asked about the ADC interface. I know AP has this level of performance but the price tag is way to high for a DIY-er like myself. As far as I know, only the E1DA Cosmos has a superior performance and I want to buy one but the ADC used for this measurement is also very good.

morillon

Major Contributor

Attachments

• ADC1.jpeg
    ADC1.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried reading through the replies but I couldn't find any reference about the equipment used for this measurement. I see REW but I do not see what ADC was used. For sure it was mentioned somewhere in a reply but I can't find it. What ADC was used with such excellent performance? I have the QA401 but it is nowhere near this level of performance and I'm looking at the E1DA Cosmos but that doesn't get close to this level of performance either.
It's done with a cosmos

MacCali

Major Contributor
You can consult the table at "Which WiiM product is right for you?". The table lacks a few features like Roon coming for Pro only.
Hmmmm I didn’t see Roon capability. That’s definitely a plus, it for sure does roon?

I bought the mini for my headphone setups less than a week ago, feed my AIO’s

Already got 4 streamers and this is my 5th. Maybe I should cop the pro too, nothing better than wasting money on audio :D

Edit: @VintageFlanker thanks for the review

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's done with a cosmos
Well, not quite.;) In fact, 80% of the data you see in this particular review is done with the ADI-2/4 PRO SE. The Cosmos has only been used with DR or Noise tests, being a bit better for that task. Needless to say, digital measurements (that @horias2000 is probably asking about) are 100% captured with the RME.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmmmm I didn’t see Roon capability. That’s definitely a plus, it for sure does roon?
Not yet, but it is waiting for certification and expected early Q2, so hopefully very soon.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Not yet, but it is waiting for certification and expected early Q2, so hopefully very soon.
I don’t like to hear things like that. We’ve heard this plenty of times. But we will see

I didn’t see it on the box, which is why I asked.

I am confused though, I don’t think my pi2aes is roon certified and I am able to stream to that. My Volumio primo you have to download the widget or whatever.

How is that possible to send the music to it without out it being certified? It maybe but I didn’t think so.

Or is it the Volumio software I use on the pi2aes?

Maybe someone can figure out a way to override the wiim software and add Volumio os

Joffy1780

I don’t like to hear things like that. We’ve heard this plenty of times. But we will see

I am confused though, I don’t think my pi2aes is roon certified and I am able to stream to that. My Volumio primo you have to download the widget or whatever.

How is that possible to send the music to it without out it being certified? It maybe but I didn’t think so.

Maybe someone can figure out a way to override the wiim software and add Volumio os
I'm normally dubious, too, but the certification stage is basically down to Roon and Wiim have said it could take 6-8 weeks (this was late January if I remember correctly) It is a done deal from what I can see.
It's not on the box as it is not a feature yet, that's all.

Joffy1780

I'm not an expert on Roon, I don't use it currently, but this page explains the certification process and benefits of having Roon ready status.

Perepep

@VintageFlanker thanks for such an exhaustive review.

At the moment I don't have the Pro, but it will be my next acquisition when there is stock to replace an old pc + Roon bridge.

In the review the existence of a microphone in the Pro is commented, it could be to optimize the transmission latency as it is done when configuring the mini ????.

dtaylo1066

Good piece for streaming and software interface looks quite decent. DAC/ADC performance antediluvian by todays standards. So for those on this forum we would need to run this into a DAC. For basic home listener all might be good.

I would prefer that: 1) They just keep out the DAC/ADC portion, or 2) they spent a little more time and $20-$30 more to upgrade DAC/ADC performance. With better performance in that realm, this would be a killer unit.

Joffy1780

In the review the existence of a microphone in the Pro is commented, it could be to optimize the transmission latency as it is done when configuring the mini ????.
Exactly that, yes. It is used to sync with multiple speakers.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes.
Screenshot_20230209-191159_3.png
Honestly, I don't understand this. Latency should be as low as possible in whatever situation, and do not need "test" in acoustical domain to be "optimized"...

Exactly that, yes. It is used to sync with multiple speakers.
OK, did not think about that. ;)

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Honestly, I don't understand this. Latency should be as low as possible in whatever situation, and do not need "test" in acoustical domain to be "optimized"...
When Wiim is connected to external DACs or AVRs, it cannot predict the latency. Especially AVRs can perform processing that increases latency.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When Wiim is connected to external DACs or AVRs, it cannot predict the latency. Especially AVRs can perform processing that increases latency.
Just about every S/PDIF signal out there is supposed to end in a DAC at some point.
There is no latency to predict. Because there's no way to anticipate how latency will be increased later, you keep it at its very minimum in all cases. Period.

And it is certainly not with this crappy mic and ADC that some app could ajust that precisely enough. ;)

Top Bottom