• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just about every S/PDIF signal out there is supposed to end in a DAC at some point.
There is no latency to predict. Because there's no way to anticipate how latency will be increased later, you keep it at its very minimum in all cases. Period.

And it is certainly not with this crappy mic and ADC that some app could ajust that precisely enough. ;)
Every DAC and DSP has its own latency. Measuring gives a good estimate for the latency of a particular system. At least it is a better estimate than just ignoring what happens to the signal after Wiim sends it. If the system is changed, the measurement has to be renewed.
Why do you think the internal mic could not measure latency? Wiim knows the latency of its own ADC, and recognizing when test signals arrive doesn't require much quality.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Every DAC and DSP has its own latency. Measuring gives a good estimate for the latency of a particular system. At least it is a better estimate than just ignoring what happens to the signal after Wiim sends it. If the system is changed, the measurement has to be renewed.
Why do you think the internal mic could not measure latency? Wiim knows the latency of its own ADC, and recognizing when test signals arrive doesn't require much quality.
Yep. And it can later follow the worst result in the multiroom group to have all devices synced.

Romario

Is there a difference of implementing Spotify/Tidal connect between streamers or does it stay in the digital domain from receiving to sending it out to toslink/coax? At the moment I have better listening experiences with a CD playing and streaming local files over to the Wiim Pro, so the pro hardware is not to blame, I assume.
I could compare it myself but I thought I asked first.

While this review is largely measurements-based, I used the WiiM Pro in my system during about a week, which is enough to share my two cents. I liked using it. It worked. That is it.
Yup. My Wiim Pro arrived yesterday and I got it connected to my Modius today via Coax. Setup was painless and it sounds great with my system. I used their iOS app and it was very quick and easy.

Previously I had my Modius (and Lokius / Magnius) connected to my MacBook via USB but I wanted to get the system off my desk in my new home office and had been looking for an Airplay 2 streamer - Wiim Pro is perfect.

thanks for the review!

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Is there a difference of implementing Spotify/Tidal connect between streamers or does it stay in the digital domain from receiving to sending it out to toslink/coax? At the moment I have better listening experiences with a CD playing and streaming local files over to the Wiim Pro, so the pro hardware is not to blame, I assume.
I could compare it myself but I thought I asked first.
I guess it's possible. For example a decision about the preferred audio quality has to be made, the same for the normalization option.

bit_collector

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere in the thread, but if I hook up an external ADC to this and make it available as a local network streaming source (uPnP?), at what sample rate would it stream? I would love to see 24/96 or some other quality that beats AirPlay.

Trying to use this for local network streaming from my turntable.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to have sold out instantly.
Still available for order, with Prime delivery for today evening. Maybe, it is to France only...
Screenshot_20230303-092655~2.png

Hello,

great review VintageFlanker ! MERCI beaucoup !!

I ordered one from amazon.fr today.

I hope I can use it with the Qobuz app directly (which is Chromecast compatible) !

Ludovic

Brantome

Major Contributor
Hello,

great review VintageFlanker ! MERCI beaucoup !!

I ordered one from amazon.fr today.

I hope I can use it with the Qobuz app directly (which is Chromecast compatible) !

Ludovic
You can indeed use Chromecast from the native Qobuz app to the WiiM Pro, but Qobuz limit Chromecast to 24/96.

Top Bottom