• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are measures of the WiimPro as ADC. I don't understand this. Is not necessary a chipset to do this?.
There is indeed an ADC circuit. If there wasn't, no way to get an analog signal coming in and then having it existing in the digital domain.

AFAIK there is no "real" Qobuz Connect available yet, I mean here a dedicated communication protocol and APIs similar to the Tidal Connect or Spotify Connect. Qobuz Connect currently is a way of the casting thru chromecast.
Correct!

Just to clarify: your unit does not switch to optical when auto sensing is on and the unit is in stand by?
Not exactly. When in standby, an incoming signal through S/PDIF will wake it, whatever the last input used. But, when the WiiM is playing through another input, then you pause the track, you launch another signal through S/PDIF, it won't switch to the latter automatically. An example of unit doing that: RME ADI-2 DAC FS (Switching between all three inputs giving priority to the last digital signal received). That's what I meant. ;)

So basically if youre not a coax type of guy just buy the mini?
Or not a Chromecast guy, nor a Roon guy... Nor some "I need the only optical Input of my DAC to be fed by both my TV and my streamer" guy... ;)

the Qobuz rep said it would be coming to the WiiM devices first
Oups. I know quite a few people that won't like this at all. :eek: The owners of actually way more expensive streamers that are waiting for Qobuz Connect support for years... :p

Except the Node weighs considerably more and has a rubberized coating on most of the surfaces.
And looks a hell better too.
The weight matters to me.
Matters to me too, a lot. This is obviously not about sound differences, but usability.

Cofra

Great review. I ordered a Wiim Pro and will use it in my home office/computer room.

I'd like to add a combined dac/headphone amp with built in preamp mode to be able to connect it to both my headphones and active speakers (Kali IN-5).

Main focus on being able to easily change between headphone output and the speakers/monitors output. A remote would be nice but definitely not a must.

What would you guys recommend? Thanks.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is indeed an ADC circuit. If there wasn't, no way to get an analog signal coming in and then having it existing in the digital domain.

Correct!

Not exactly. When in standby, an incoming signal through S/PDIF will wake it, whatever the last input used. But, when the WiiM is playing through another input, then you pause the track, you launch another signal through S/PDIF, it won't switch to the latter automatically. An example of unit doing that: RME ADI-2 DAC FS (Switching between all three inputs giving priority to the last digital signal received). That's what I meant. ;)

Or not a Chromecast guy, nor a Roon guy... Nor some "I need the only optical Input of my DAC to be fed by both my TV and my streamer" guy... ;)

Oups. I know quite a few people that won't like this at all. :eek: The owners of actually way more expensive streamers that are waiting for Qobuz Connect support for years... :p

And looks a hell better too.

Matters to me too, a lot. This is obviously not about sound differences, but usability.
Maybe the extra weight is preferable if you're constantly connecting and reconnecting cables, for example if you're testing/measuring the unit, but I don't see how it would add to the usability for the vast majority of normal usage situations.
Once it is connected you never need to touch the unit again.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Great review. I ordered a Wiim Pro and will use it in my home office/computer room.

I'd like to add a combined dac/headphone amp with built in preamp mode to be able to connect it to both my headphones and active speakers (Kali IN-5).

Main focus on being able to easily change between headphone output and the speakers/monitors output. A remote would be nice but definitely not a must.

What would you guys recommend? Thanks.
RME ADI-2.

buxtehude

I wish Wiim Apps worked via Ethernet (without WiFi).

Both apps on M1 Mac desktop.

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 12.31.12 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 12.30.57 PM.jpg

BioMedTechGuy

Please allow me to ask a quick question that I have researched, but I'm not clear about.
I love my WiiM, and this forum has been fantastic, very helpful.
Thanks for your testing, results, and review!
?? How can I get the Apple Music from my Android phone IN to an optical input on my receiver, at 48kHz/24 bit rate?? Would using my Microsoft Windows Surface Pro 4 tablet help the situation?
If I had an Apple source device that I used strictly for Apple Music I think it would be easier? What isn't too expensive (used market maybe?)
THIS IS very likely what I'm going to wind up with, although I have several music streaming services active for a few more weeks, Tidal for almost a month, I'd rather not have to keep anything but Apple Music.

Niconoclaste

I might as well be dead. Have over 70 unread messages in my inbox. Project after project piled up. Too many measurements performed that I can't yet publish.. Worst it has ever been as far as personal and ASR workload....
Yeah excuse me, it was a lack of respect from me. Thank you for your reaction btw :) And obviously, as say Crinacle, please, don't die.

My adventures in stereo

I am still having issues with Tidal Connect, it sometimes just wont work
Noticed that the tidal connect icon, changes, to a square when it connects , instead of the usual circular shape

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please allow me to ask a quick question that I have researched, but I'm not clear about.
I love my WiiM, and this forum has been fantastic, very helpful.
Thanks for your testing, results, and review!
?? How can I get the Apple Music from my Android phone IN to an optical input on my receiver, at 48kHz/24 bit rate?? Would using my Microsoft Windows Surface Pro 4 tablet help the situation?
If I had an Apple source device that I used strictly for Apple Music I think it would be easier? What isn't too expensive (used market maybe?)
THIS IS very likely what I'm going to wind up with, although I have several music streaming services active for a few more weeks, Tidal for almost a month, I'd rather not have to keep anything but Apple Music.
I dont have the Wiim or apple music, but I would probably connect an old iphone or ipad you already have into your DAC/AMP digital input, you can even remote control that ipad from other app as well. I am not sure apple music has 24/48Khz, isn't is 16/48Khz max?

BioMedTechGuy

I dont have the Wiim or apple music, but I would probably connect an old iphone or ipad you already have into your DAC/AMP digital input, you can even remote control that ipad from other app as well. I am not sure apple music has 24/48Khz, isn't is 16/48Khz max?
I don't have any Apple products, so no iPhone or iPad.

I am not sure apple music has 24/48Khz, isn't is 16/48Khz max?
Screenshot_20230227_033839_Apple Music.jpg

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What would you guys recommend?
Cheapest balanced DAC/Headamp combo is the S.M.S.L Aoshida C200.

Then, you got the Topping EX-5, then the S.M.S.L M500 MkIII.

My recommandation would be still for an used ADI-2 DAC FS.

I am still having issues with Tidal Connect, it sometimes just wont work
Noticed that the tidal connect icon, changes, to a square when it connects , instead of the usual circular shape
Didn't have anything of the sort on my side. Are you using Android? Maybe try to delete/reinstall the Tidal App?

Great review! I also just ordered the Wiim Pro for my relocated home office. I will use the COAX to drive my Schiit stack: Modius / Lokius / Magnius. My main source will be Apple Music / Airplay 2.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interested in one of these. Practical question..

With either Amazon Music or Qobuz, is it possible to shuffle ones entire album collection on the Wiim app? As opposed to just shuffling a playlist (They both cap playlist sizes way too small)

The Amazon pc app allows, the mobile app doesnt. Qobuz doesnt allow on anything I have encountered.
Bump before I order a mini to trial it myself

Brantome

Major Contributor
The Amazon pc app allows, the mobile app doesnt. Qobuz doesnt allow on anything I have encountered.
Just tried that and while the Amazon Music PC desktop app does have a shuffle icon against the list of albums, it in effect just shuffles all track i.e. it doesn't queue album by album

Brantome

Major Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just tried that and while the Amazon Music PC desktop app does have a shuffle icon against the list of albums, it in effect just shuffles all track i.e. it doesn't queue album by album
Yes, that's what I want , a complete shuffle so could be any track from any album after the current one .

Does the wiim app allow this for Amazon or qobuz ?

BioMedTechGuy

I read that and I appreciate the reply.
Before I got the Chromecast Audio puck and then soon after the WiiM Pro, I was chasing a wired (digital) connection from the USB-C port on my phone to a converter that would make the signal digital optical.
To make a long story short, that's what forced me to finally get the right answers on streaming, and led me to get the Chromecast Audio puck and WiiM Pro, although I guess I have still come up short since I haven't reached the goal that was decided upon through this process. Apple music in ALAC from 41.1/16 up to 48/24...
It's looking like an Apple device and AirPlay 2 is going to be the solution, unless someone else has another way??

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yes, that's what I want , a complete shuffle so could be any track from any album after the current one .

Does the wiim app allow this for Amazon or qobuz ?
For Amazon Music, not from the album page, but from the track page you can start playing a track then hit shuffle on the now playing page - but it looks like the queue is limited to 100 tracks :( That might be a limitation of the Amazon API though as I know Amazon only allows 100 favourites(?) to be listed - I seem to recall WiiM contacting Amazon about that and were told it won't be changed.

There doesn't seem to be such a limit on their mobile app (well, I could scroll more than 100 in the queue there) so you'd need to cast from that app to the Wiim. If you only have a PC, you might need to look at running the Android version of the Amazon Music app under the Windows Subsystem for Android.

I don't have Qobuz to try that

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For Amazon Music, not from the album page, but from the track page you can start playing a track then hit shuffle on the now playing page - but it looks like the queue is limited to 100 tracks :( That might be a limitation of the Amazon API though as I know Amazon only allows 100 favourites(?) to be listed - I seem to recall WiiM contacting Amazon about that and were told it won't be changed.

There doesn't seem to be such a limit on their mobile app (well, I could scroll more than 100 in the queue there) so you'd need to cast from that app to the Wiim. If you only have a PC, you might need to look at running the Android version of the Amazon Music app under the Windows Subsystem for Android.

I don't have Qobuz to try that
Hmmm, yes not looking promising for my needs then. Thanks!

Brantome

Major Contributor
To make a long story short, that's what forced me to finally get the right answers on streaming, and led me to get the Chromecast Audio puck and WiiM Pro, although I guess I have still come up short since I haven't reached the goal that was decided upon through this process. Apple music in ALAC from 41.1/16 up to 48/24...
It's looking like an Apple device and AirPlay 2 is going to be the solution, unless someone else has another way??
I think we've shared before that even an apple device doesn't do lossless audio over Airplay except in a very limited case - I can't recall the details of the link I'm sure I posted.

I guess you really need a DAC with a USB input and an optical output, maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASHATA-Converter-Digital-Windows-Windows2000-default/dp/B07Z3RJQQV

Top Bottom