• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

imral3

Is anyone here who replace the provided Toslink cable? any feedback/experience to share after replacement?
I decided to use an Amazon basics cable as it was more flexible than the original. Already had the Amazon cable on hand so, used it before even trying the supplied cable. My two cents.

DeepSpace57

I replaced mine with a QED one. It made no difference to the perceived sound quality. The original played up to 24/192 kHz equally well.
whıch one of QEDs? I believe there are three versions; profile, performance and reference.

Brantome

Major Contributor
New firmware
6BADC622-8329-49B3-9AE3-503581BA59A2.jpeg

Alan B

It's fine for streaming, but you won't be able to fully config the WiiM with it. You'll need to borrow a proper phone to do that.

Note that you can also stream directly from the native Amazon and Tidal apps to the WiiM, without using the WiiM app. The native apps work well on Chromebooks.

Thinking of getting a Chromebook for Christmas, so this is helpful to know.

Has anyone tried using a Chromebook with an external hard drive and an Upnp app to stream their existing music collection to a WiiM?

I currently use Logitech Media Server and a Windows 10 laptop to do this, and don't want to lose this functionality.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
EQ mode distortions not yet fixed in the new FW.
EQ maybe good features to tailor the sound to your liking but many audiophile doesn’t use those as it as distortion and not flat response. The first time they implemented the eq was it already been distorted?

Merifon

EQ maybe good features to tailor the sound to your liking but many audiophile doesn’t use those as it as distortion and not flat response. The first time they implemented the eq was it already been distorted?
In the beginning, EQ was rising a lot the overall level. This was fixed after a couple of Fw.
I didn't ever use it so I didn't pay much attention to.
Recently they forgot to made the EQ switch off working but this is now fixed.
To be honest, since the overall LUFS and peaks requested by stream services, the events of distortion due to peaks, shouldn't be frequent and surely short in time. At least with Tidal and with the point of view of an not EQ user...
Hearing test tones made clear the phenomenon but normal playing didn't.

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
EQ doesn't distort the sound if implemented correctly. I use EQ all the time to correct my headphones freq response or room acoustic, though it is not WiiM's EQ.
I've no idea when those clipping distortions appeared first time in EQ mode.

Michou

In the beginning, EQ was rising a lot the overall level. This was fixed after a couple of Fw.
I didn't ever use it so I didn't pay much attention to.
Recently they forgot to made the EQ switch off working but this is now fixed.
To be honest, since the overall LUFS and peaks requested by stream services, the events of distortion due to peaks, shouldn't be frequent and surely short in time. At least with Tidal and with the point of view of an not EQ user...
Hearing test tones made clear the phenomenon but normal playing didn't.
Try to cut the frequencies instead of boosting them

mediocrebutarrogant

MQA or no MQA, apple's USB implementation is the best across all hardware segments in God's green earth. Now dont ask me if i double blind a/b d it. I can say its the case like i can say Speyside single malt gives a better high than Johnny red , black . you would definitely need Green/gold blue for a comparable high, but its different too. I installed ropieee on raspberry pi, and ran it as roon bridge, and i connected my iphone/ipad/mac with roon remote over usb to my trusty E50, ropieee on raspberry pi pretty much sucks, in compariosn to usb feed from apple hardware, also once wiim is roon ready in general release mode, maybe ill get good output, but not getting my hopes up. You got to pay for the good stuff boys/ gentlemen

Merifon

Try to cut the frequencies instead of boosting them
As stated before, I don't use wiim EQ. I have other sources so I worked on speaker position, room and the usual things...
Anyway, if you use EQ, you can leave volume adjustment on and lower to a much safer level.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As stated before, I don't use wiim EQ. I have other sources so I worked on speaker position, room and the usual things...
Anyway, if you use EQ, you can leave volume adjustment on and lower to a much safer level.
I set eq off and let my AVR do the eq or simply put it on pure direct. My AVR is connected on external power amp and using AVR as preamp.

Witterings

Is anyone here who replace the provided Toslink cable? any feedback/experience to share after replacement?

Are you asking because of fit or do you think it affects the quality of music?

I posted a couple a few days ago I was disappointed with the WiiM overall and felt it was distorted. I've previosuly googled whether optical cables make a difference to sound quality and most opinions say no because it just passes light and they either work or they don't.

I've been replacing / testing various things as I wasn't happy with the overall sound and on Friday evening after a couple of beers I knew I had a more expensive optical cable somewhere so despite thinking it wouldn't make any difference thought .... you've tried everything else so why not.
I instantly nnoticed a big ... and I mean very noticeable increase in volume, I also wonder if it's improved the quality considerably as well.

I've been tempted to switch them back again to double check, the only thing that's stopped me are the numerous reports of the problems with the optical door breaking and don't want to end up with a totally useless unit.

I was going to post my findings last night but thought it just sounds like I'm whinging so decided not to but interesting to see your question today

I'd strongly recommend anyone using the original cable to at least try another if you have one to hand and see if it makes a difference.

Be interested to know why you were asking though and if you've experienced similar.

Brantome

Major Contributor
I’m sure way back early in this thread that someone mentioned using one toslink cable between the WiiM and their DAC and having issues as to whether it could support up to 24/192(iirc) but the cable worked between another unit and the DAC. Conversely they reported they used another cable that didn’t work in the latter case but did for the former. It therefore appeared to them that some toslink cables work in some situations but not others and it wasn’t an issue with the WiiM Mini per se.

Top Bottom