• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I've finally made a test with RME ADI-2 trying to capture real song and comparing it to the original. The song I've chosen was a Diana Krall's Almost Blue, 96 kHZ/24 bit. Test part was 6 sec long.
Was it bit-perfect? No.
It was just close to the original.
DeltaWave said:

Files are NOT a bit-perfect match (match=98,21%) at 16 bits
Files are NOT a bit-perfect match (match=13,87%) at 24 bits
Files match @ 49,9673% when reduced to 20,93 bits

EDIT:
All above not true.

Audacity has altered my audio. I've repeated editing in different software.

Was it bit-perfect? Yes.
6 seconds of exactly bit-perfect data the same as an original.

Last edited:

liviurosioara

I've finally made a test with RME ADI-2 trying to capture real song and comparing it to the original. The song I've chosen was a Diana Krall's Almost Blue, 96 kHZ/24 bit. Test part was 6 sec long.
Was it bit-perfect? No.
It was just close to the original.
DeltaWave said:

Files are NOT a bit-perfect match (match=98,21%) at 16 bits
Files are NOT a bit-perfect match (match=13,87%) at 24 bits
Files match @ 49,9673% when reduced to 20,93 bits

Can you share more details? Perhaps maybe more on why do you have 16 bit and 24 bit tests while your source is 24 bit?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
BTW, something for RME users. I've highly modified RME test file, added noise areas and fade in/out effects. 96kHz test file contains 20 bittest patterns, I've left only 2 of them unaltered. That was enough to pass a test.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Something I don't get: Is 13,87% match indeed close to the original?
DeltaWave calculated that 13.87% of samples in 24 bit range were the same as original ones., and 98,21% in 16 bit range. Which means I have to redo the test to make sure that no dithering has been applied to the recorded data during editing and exporting.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Something went wrong in Audacity.
Final result is:

Was it bit-perfect? Yes.

Apologies for the incorrect previous statement, my fault.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Something went wrong in Audacity.
Final result is:

Was it bit-perfect? Yes.

Apologies for the incorrect previous statement, my fault.
May want to try installing Sox. It has a tool called "rec" that makes it super simple to capture data. I set up a shell script to capture 5 secs to .wav file, then process it through to output image, but you can process the .wav with your preferred tool.

Bash:
cat record.sh
#!/usr/bin/bash
AUDIODEV=hw:CARD=DAC55780269,DEV=0
export AUDIODEV

rec -V -S -r 44100 -b 24 -c 2 $1 trim 0 5

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
May want to try installing Sox. It has a tool called "rec" that makes it super simple to capture data. I set up a shell script to capture 5 secs to .wav file, then process it through to output image, but you can process the .wav with your preferred tool.

Bash:
cat record.sh
#!/usr/bin/bash
AUDIODEV=hw:CARD=DAC55780269,DEV=0
export AUDIODEV

rec -V -S -r 44100 -b 24 -c 2 $1 trim 0 5
Capturing itself was fine in ocenaudio. Issue has happened during exporting after editing, because at the moment WiiM is adding a small fade effect in the beginning of the audio stream.
It must be excluded from the comparison. If you include it, you won't get bit-perfect data:

1669047095330.png

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
One more thing, yesterday I was comparing WiiM to Node using miniDSP Flex. As it cannot capture in bit-perfect manner by design, I was capturing data and comparing to each other, not to the source. The biggest differences were for WiiM. Node was a bit better. It was much better with very close results when Audio Clock Trim was enabled for Node.
TBH I think that WiiM's internal clock is not the best and it can affect the audio sent over spdif. But it's not significant if DAC with very sophisticated re-clocking engine is used, similar to RME ones. I can imagine that bit-perfectness would not be achieved when connected to less advanced DAC.

Last edited:
I am confused about all this streaming gear. I have a wiiM and a Auris audifi, I also built a raspberry pi a year or so ago. I recently got a new DAC ( smsl do100 ) and I realized that the coax output from the Auris audifi was limited to 44.1 . If I want to be able to get the most of my Qobuz subscription and the new DAC which one should I use? Or maybe I should get the Bluesound node instead. Please advise.

DTTOM37

I am confused about all this streaming gear. I have a wiiM and a Auris audifi, I also built a raspberry pi a year or so ago. I recently got a new DAC ( smsl do100 ) and I realized that the coax output from the Auris audifi was limited to 44.1 . If I want to be able to get the most of my Qobuz subscription and the new DAC which one should I use? Or maybe I should get the Bluesound node instead. Please advise.
If you're having a Raspberry PI 4 (?) already, you may want to check out the LMS/Squeezlite way by Picoreplayer (https://docs.picoreplayer.org/getting-started/).
Connecting your DAC via USB allows you even more options than using the digital inputs via Coax or Toslink.
It's a lot more DIY/Software config than the WIIM or Bluenode but once done that may be giving
The WIIM is a good device for an excellent price (imho) but not made for everyone's interest. I am happy with it doing Qobuz into my actives.
If you see your happiness in audio files above CD quality you may want to use an USB interface.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're having a Raspberry PI 4 (?) already, you may want to check out the LMS/Squeezlite way by Picoreplayer (https://docs.picoreplayer.org/getting-started/).
Connecting your DAC via USB allows you even more options than using the digital inputs via Coax or Toslink.
It's a lot more DIY/Software config than the WIIM or Bluenode but once done that may be giving
The WIIM is a good device for an excellent price (imho) but not made for everyone's interest. I am happy with it doing Qobuz into my actives.
If you see your happiness in audio files above CD quality you may want to use an USB interface.
In the US, the Node is currently $100 off..

Top Bottom