• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Michou

spotify like deezer (hifi flac 44k16bits) offers a rather modest resolution at best, right?
I'm trying to understand what you mean. Deezer hifi plan, 44.1KHz, 16 bit is lossless CD quality as far as I know. Spotify is Ogg/Vorbis lossy compression (roughly equivalent to MP3) at low rates for the free subscription, higher rates for the paid version but still far from physical CD resolution. I believe its AAC 128Kbps when playing through a browser.

Last edited:

Jpdelaney.tml

Testing EQ, maxed to upper freq sliders and thought I heard static. In external DAC mode. Anyone else? I like it with EQ off anyway :) .

Merifon

Spotify is Ogg/Vorbis lossy compression
Some time ago, during an obsessive compulsive phase, I managed to connect two sources to a dac. IPhone via USB with Spotify and Tidal connect hifi via wiim. I searched for the same editions of same songs, synchronized the play as much as possible and switched the inputs back and forth. While not easy and still having micro interruptions in switching from one service to another, it was substantially "less annoying", the use of Tidal hifi for almost all the songs. Someone actually didn't have this distinct feeling but given the similar cost and two acceptable apps in use, there was no reason to stick with Spotify. What Spotify connect is unsurpassed is the ability to cross-manage any device in the local network. In fact, with the discontinued iphone 6s, connected to the dac in usb, I could control the playback on any other terminal, without absolutely needing a streamer, not even the wiim. Spotify is also more practical in managing with Android auto. Too bad for their insistence on lossy. Deezer wouldn't be bad but it's more expensive now and doesn't run the Wiim itself. At the moment I see no reason to prefer it to Tidal. Amazon unlimited has, in my opinion, a very bad app and makes fun with Android auto. Qobuz is also a bit expensive for my streaming viewing and has a deficient app ...

Jpdelaney.tml

I am trying to economize on bandwidth and believe that I will get an undithered digital flac file if I select 24 bits from Amazon if it is available. To increase the odd of the song selected is sent in 24 bit format from AMUHD is to select 48 KHz sample rate.
Does anyone know if 24 bits gets you the undithered version of the song???
If mixed down to 24 bit, it should not be delithered?

Advice for my mini based kit thks

hitechakias

I have the latest firmware and I can't play Amazon Music more than 5 min... playback stops device is disappearing and I have too restart it to set it up again. Probably useless at least for now.
It is fixed with the latest update. They responded quite fast fixing it after a feedback via the app. Great customer support!

telemike

One issue with Amazon Alexacast is that after a while my Amazon app disconnects from the Wiim while playing and I have to go to the Wiim app to control the stream. It's like there's a timeout or something. Spotify Connect is still the gold standard. I sure wish Spotify would go lossless

Brantome

Major Contributor
One issue with Amazon Alexacast is that after a while my Amazon app disconnects from the Wiim while playing and I have to go to the Wiim app to control the stream. It's like there's a timeout or something. Spotify Connect is still the gold standard. I sure wish Spotify would go lossless
It used to not, which could be annoying if you wanted to do something else on the amazon music app. If you try reconnecting to the WiiM (even by playing something and attempt to cast), the app should tell you the Mini is already playing a stream and ask do you want to override it or let it continue playing.

Witterings

Mine's exactly the same, you try to stop / pause tracks via the Amazon App and it doesn't respond, you have to go into the WiiM App and stop it from playing.
I've experienced this a lot lately as I've been trying different speaker setups so keep starting / stopping and switching between tracks.

mediocrebutarrogant

wiim is a toy and we are beta testers i think :) its not really reliable , signal drop, bit perfect output flaky, it just breaks the music trance

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
its not really reliable , signal drop, bit perfect output flaky, it just breaks the music trance
Not been my experience at all. It's been extremely reliable, and demonstrably bit-perfect without issue. If you are experiencing dropouts, it's likely to be your WiFi - I've never had a dropout, and I listen to Tidal HiFi several hours daily.

mediocrebutarrogant

Tidal connect drops even though I have downgraded my stream setting to Hifi though I pay for hifiplus because it’s worth it!

Bamyasi

Amazon Music works pretty reliably on WiiM now, both from WiiM Home app and when casting from app on the phone.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Tidal connect drops even though I have downgraded my stream setting to Hifi though I pay for hifiplus because it’s worth it!
Dunno, because I don't use Tidal Connect; greatly prefer to use my own UI for Tidal/WiiM. Haven't heard anyone else complain about Tidal Connect, but I think most here are using Amazon Music.

1665773819927.png

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dunno, because I don't use Tidal Connect; greatly prefer to use my own UI for Tidal/WiiM. Haven't heard anyone else complain about Tidal Connect, but I think most here are using Amazon Music.

View attachment 237007
Rather i think Amazon has had the most issues that have required discussion. Tidal has been working well, other than getting MQA done for those who MQA there just hasn't been that much to talk about.

Top Bottom