• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
You should create a separate thread with steps on how to do this. I have a pi and would need screen and step by spte instructions for the software
I will, once I get the latest firmware and determine whether it includes the new data in the UPnP interface.

Meanwhile, fine tuning the look.

I don't plan on a touchscreen version; I've had several touchscreen displays, and have found that I never really use the touch feature to play/pause/next/prev. But then I'm mostly an album listener; if others want, they will be able to fork it and modify as needed, once on github. I have plenty of examples with touch functionality in my other repositories.

Hard to capture how good this screen is. Looks better than this in person - very nice display.

P1290945.jpg

Last edited:

dguillor

Forum Donor
For my desired use, Apple Music-Airplay- Airplay Receiver-TOSLINK-miniDSP 2x4HD-Amplifier- Speaker, this is an awesome inexpensive solution. The lack of a great DAC in the Wiim mini doesn’t matter.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
So, with the latest firmware, the bit depth and rate are in the metadata - sometimes. The quality is always there, an integer between 0 and 3, near as I can tell. I’m displaying HIGH or Hi-Res, as appropriate.

However, when playing from LMS via UPnP, the AVTransport interface is reporting STOPPED, even while it’s playing. Sigh. Will probably need to resort to polling, as the subscription method isn’t as reliable as I’d hoped. Still work to do for this retired old fart.

38D1B667-2DB1-4DA6-979B-4B6CE55FE0DF.jpeg

Smitty2k1

So, with the latest firmware, the bit depth and rate are in the metadata - sometimes. The quality is always there, an integer between 0 and 3, near as I can tell. I’m displaying HIGH or Hi-Res, as appropriate.

However, when playing from LMS via UPnP, the AVTransport interface is reporting STOPPED, even while it’s playing. Sigh. Will probably need to resort to polling, as the subscription method isn’t as reliable as I’d hoped. Still work to do for this retired old fart.

View attachment 203157
Are you using LMS with the UPNP bridge for playback of local/network media? I can't get it working for the life of me - no matter what playback/gapless options I choose, it always skips at the last 2 seconds of a song, presumably when it sends the next song to the Wiim. The only way I can get past this is the "continuous stream" method, which doesn't pass any metadata to the Wiim, it just shows a generic "streaming media" on the Wiim.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Are you using LMS with the UPNP bridge for playback of local/network media? I can't get it working for the life of me - no matter what playback/gapless options I choose, it always skips at the last 2 seconds of a song, presumably when it sends the next song to the Wiim. The only way I can get past this is the "continuous stream" method, which doesn't pass any metadata to the Wiim, it just shows a generic "streaming media" on the Wiim.
I don't have much local media, stream mainly from services, which work great via LMS. I'll try this later today and let you know...

Smitty2k1

I don't have much local media, stream mainly from services, which work great via LMS. I'll try this later today and let you know...
Oh interesting - what's the point of LMS for streaming services then? Doesn't the WIIM support most of those natively?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Oh interesting - what's the point of LMS for streaming services then? Doesn't the WIIM support most of those natively?
I'm used to the Material Skin UI, and as it runs in a browser, it works much better on my big screen on the ChromeBox than most Android apps do.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
OK, tried streaming local files to WiiM from LMS, using the Material Skin. No skipping at end of tracks. Getting the album/artist/title metadata, but no queue position, just one track at a time. No bitrate/depth either, as expected.

4C6A43F2-7ED1-4968-8822-5B1947A4956B.jpeg

Smitty2k1

OK, tried streaming local files to WiiM from LMS, using the Material Skin. No skipping at end of tracks. Getting the album/artist/title metadata, but no queue position, just one track at a time. No bitrate/depth either, as expected.

View attachment 203230
Interesting, thanks! I guess I'll keep fiddling with playback/streaming settings.

tsammyc

The new firmware seems to not work with Audirvana 3.5 over uPNP. All I'm getting is bursts of static. This is whether I output to an external DAC or use the internal WiiM DAC. Audirvana is confirmed working directly connected to a DAC and to my Samsung TV using uPNP. The new WiiM firmware is also working fine with the WiiM app and Tidal Connect. Is there a way to revert to the previous firmware?

Edit: After some testing, Audirvana is now working with WiiM, but only on 16/44.1 files. Earlier I wasn't getting anything because I upsampled and have now turned upsampling off. Anything 24 bit or upsampled gets static. Tidal over Audirvana also works on 16/44.1 (HiFi), but any MQA music (24 bit) gets static too. All worked fine on the previous firmware. This is a bummer if I can't revert to the previous firmware as Audirvana was the only way I could play Tidal MQA through the WiiM in hires.

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
I also need to revert to the old firmware
too many bugs for me....
a bit long to detail..
just the display of the original resolution of the file (but not the real stream like an "aac" 48k 16bit for a radio in 192k vbr aac) cannot justify so many bugs for my use (especially with deezer.
forces me to log out to log back in etc....)
:-(
I'm going to contact "wiim" support.... :-(

I had no problems with bugs before this new firmware...
but the procedure on the firmware side having been automatic.. I don't know if it will be possible or even simple

Last edited:

tsammyc

I contacted WiiM support via email. Very responsive. They asked me to reply through feedback within the WiiM app and they will downgrade my firmware

Brantome

Major Contributor
WiiM have identified the problem and are issuing me a beta firmware after fixing it. Will report when my WiiM updates
I still don’t have the firmware update - hopefully they roll out the fix as a new version to everyone rather than continuing to rollout the buggy version

phx

Have the bedroom setup complete now.
Wiim Mini > Loxjie A30 running a pair of Wharfedale 11.1.
Fed exlusively via Tidal Connect directly from the Tidal App. That just works. Havent opened the Wiim App since setup.

Quite happy with that. The A30 has absolutely no problem driving the 11.1.
And while it obviously sounds different than my living room setup (X4700h + Triangle Borea 5.0 surround setup) i would have a hard time right now to argue that the living room setup is worth so much more when just listening to music ^^

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
You should create a separate thread with steps on how to do this. I have a pi and would need screen and step by spte instructions for the software
I've finalized the script for the Waveshare 7" screen and uploaded it to github.

I'll do a step-by-step instruction set once Amazon delivers the blank SD cards I ordered (due today, but not yet out for delivery at 5:20PM, so...).

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom