• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I assume this is only for a temporary solution to avoid stuttering. The whole point of MQA Core Decode is to output up to 96kHz

Did they acknowledge they can reproduce your issue? I haven't got the beta even though I requested a week ago.

I assume they won't release it to me until the stuttering bug is fixed , which is fine with me
From what they are saying that their optical may not be compatible or my dac is not stable on 88.2. I can’t utilize e50 capability if wiim don’t get their mqa core to work on e50 renderer.

Music1969

Major Contributor
From what they are saying that their optical may not be compatible or my dac is not stable on 88.2. I can’t utilize e50 capability if wiim don’t get their mqa core to work on e50 renderer.
No that's not what they are saying.

As I wrote, what they are telling you to do will allow you to play music without stuttering - while they fix it.

Its got nothing to do with their optical - this is bit perfect to 24/192.

Smartplug

No that's not what they are saying.

As I wrote, what they are telling you to do will allow you to play music without stuttering - while they fix it.

Its got nothing to do with their optical - this is bit perfect to 24/192.
I stop using it as I don’t like 24/48. I will wait for the fix. On certain dac 88 and 176 not stable but 48 96 and 192 works fine.

DantonIzzo

By the way, the mini is currently on sale for $79 on Amazon. It’s a no brainer at that price!

Smartplug

Unfortunately just in the USA - by the time you add on VAT&duty to that , it works out the same £89 that it's on sale in the UK, so no saving for us. Anyway, I'm saving my cash for the WiiM Pro ;)
I’m with you, my money is ready to buy this unit! I wish they release it now!

Smartplug

Hmmm, interesting. I connect wiim directly to the back of of my AV receiver (Yamaha RXV -6A ) using optical and the pop and static all gone. Could it be this is an issue on topping e50? Are there anyone with e50 and using beta on tidal master mqa getting static noise?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I connect wiim directly to the back of of my AV receiver (Yamaha RXV -6A ) using optical and the pop and static all gone.
But is your TOSlink output still set to 48kHz?

Or your AVR shows 88.2k and 96k TOSlink inputs?

Smartplug

In fact, AVR internal dac sound better than e50 knowing this unit has one of best ESS chip maybe the AVR analog input on pure direct doesn’t bypass AD converter so it get to AD then DA. Unlike digital input, it only goes to DA bypassing AD.

Music1969

Major Contributor
AVR showing 88.2 and 96k but on e50 it would stutter on 88 and 96 but not on 48.
Then its simply something wrong with the MQA Core decoding on the WiiM which they need to fix

If the 1st unfold isn't done properly, then the rendering will screw up - that's what you are seeing/hearing

Can you disable MQA rendering on the E50 or it is permanent?

I don't have the beta yet but from what you say, I wouldn't have an issue with my RME ADI-2 (not an MQA DAC) - I'm guessing

Smartplug

Then its simply something wrong with the MQA Core decoding on the WiiM which they need to fix

If the 1st unfold isn't done properly, then the rendering will screw up - that's what you are seeing/hearing

Can you disable MQA rendering on the E50 or it is permanent?

I don't have the beta yet but from what you say, I wouldn't have an issue with my RME ADI-2 (not an MQA DAC) - I'm guessing
No, it can’t be disable. It’s permanent.

Smartplug

But how would this relate to WiiM Mini's TOSlink output? Not related?
My point the analog input on AVR get digitalize which cause sound degradation despite on pure direct. I will try to use e50 on integrated amp with no digital to hear it’s real musical quality.

Music1969

Major Contributor
My point the analog input on AVR get digitalize which cause sound degradation despite on pure direct.
Digitization isn't automatically a bad thing

Good digital room correction can do some pretty incredibly good things for sound quality

If you can keep a digital source digital all the way, this is good

Merifon

AVR showing 88.2 and 96k but on e50 it would stutter on 88 and 96 but not on 48.
Did you try any others pure 88.2 file (not MQA) from any other source, download or Qobuz trial?
Are they eventually still stuttering with E50?
I tried some 88.2 with Wiim, when I had a SMSL 100Mk2 during trial period, they worked good.
Now I have a DO100 with Tidal hi-fi and all trials exhausted...

Top Bottom