• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

Prowler_88

My sister has my 2018 LG OLED (5 1/2 years old now) and that still works fine with all services listed above + more such as iPlayer. Have you got experience of services being dropped by manufacturers due to a lack of software updates?

xSDMx

Nvidia Shield and Apple TV are miles beyond LG OS especially if you manage lots of local media and use many different streaming services.

Prowler_88

Nvidia Shield and Apple TV are miles beyond LG OS especially if you manage lots of local media and use many different streaming services.
Which only a very small minority of people do. Even on here - which is a very specific sub-section of an interest group - I suspect those that use physical media or local storage for video content is a minority.

On my Panasonic TV I have the option of Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Rakuten, BBC iPlayer, ITVX, YouTube, Paramount (via Prime), Apple TV and many more that I can't even remember because I have no use for them. When you say many streaming services are you referring to something totally esoteric (again that only a small minority will use)?

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
To try and get this back on topic . . .

There are certainly advantages to using devices like a Shield, especially if you are hosting local video content. But the assertion that "most folks" are bypassing their TV OS in preference to such products is questionable at best, as is the implicit corollary that one can therefore ignore the case of native TV "source" of HDMI audio.

My anecdotal perception is a LOT of people are using the "native" streaming functions on their "smart" TVs, perhaps even a majority. FWIW, my 2019 LG gets firmware updates regularly (~ 30-60 days?), has apps to support virtually every significant streaming service (all of which also update regularly) and has been functionally consistent and without problems for 4 years. It works so well that I rarely use my Chromecast dongle anymore. Or my Blueray/DVD.

Whatever the % may be who aren't using Shield or similar sources, the demographic is inarguably large enough that the case of connecting "native" HDMI from the TV to the Wiim Amp is a relevant sub-topic here, and justifies discussion to resolve the issues being seen between some TV models/configurations and Wiim.

xSDMx

I would definitely suggest folks file a ticket with WiiM support in app and specifically call out that HDMI ARC with external source devices works fine (apple tv, Nvidia shield, fire TV), but not direct HDMI to TV as source to help them debug.

Prowler_88

Yeah apologies was veering off a bit there.

Overall I'm super happy with the amp, despite the occasional lack of HDMI ARC sound. It's not like I've had smooth results using ARC across different TVs and other audio devices costing many multiples of the WiiM, so I will forgive it for now :)

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Been two weeks since replacement was offered by support but still hasnt been sent out. They say warehouse has no stock, but I see stock at my local amazon.

Not really having a great feeling with the official WiiM support team so far.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Been two weeks since replacement was offered by support but still hasnt been sent out. They say warehouse has no stock, but I see stock at my local amazon.

You sure that "stock" at Amazon is literally in stock? All the Amazon availability I see is for late January shipments. Perhaps Wiim will begin fulfilling warranty replacements at the same time -- and from the same shipments from manufacturing -- as the to-be-arriving Amazon inventory.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The stock they don't have is almost certainly the fixed stock. I guess the Amazon stock is not that.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Why on earth would they do that
After time the physical hardware will not support OS updates and the "smart tv" will not be so smart anymore. Apps won't update after a while either and then functionality will suffer. Many will just get a new TV, when they should probably just get something like a Firestick for example.

JSmith

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You sure that "stock" at Amazon is literally in stock? All the Amazon availability I see is for late January shipments. Perhaps Wiim will begin fulfilling warranty replacements at the same time -- and from the same shipments from manufacturing -- as the to-be-arriving Amazon inventory.
Yeh Amazon stock was actually stock. If I ordered yesterday, it would arrives today.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
After time the physical hardware will not support OS updates and the "smart tv" will not be so smart anymore. Apps won't update after a while either and then functionality will suffer. Many will just get a new TV, when they should probably just get something like a Firestick for example.

JSmith

There have been some TVs which stopped supporting newer versions of YouTube. I’m 100% with you on the Fire Stick. Cheaper to replace than the whole TV.

Malis

Well, I received my Wiim amp today from Amazon.de.
No noise from the Amp or the speakers. It sounds great, and compared to my Cambridge audio CXA80 amp it sounds the same. I have a great headroom with my speakers.
HDMI ARC works great and it is a very great peace of equipment. Basically a steal for the money, I can only recommend.

I have - PCB_version": "2"

Last edited:

pipomolo42

Actually, on mine, the Amp only wakes up via CEC/ARC if it entered standby while on the HDMI input.
I've filed a ticket.

Oops, my bad, I had the auto sensing option disabled

Last edited:

soulfresh

Based in Melbourne, Australia, just received my amp for a few days. Probably one of the first batch for down under lol!

Thankfully, my Wiim amp (PCB_Version: 5) is free from any of the HDMI ARC issues or noise related issue so far. Perhaps being a lesser prirority market for Wiim have some benefits for new products!

For those interested, here are my thoughts (Inc. screenshot of EQ pairing with KEF Q350 speakers) : KEF Q350 + Yamaha WXA-50 v KEF Q350 + Wiim Amp

Smitty2k1

Based in Melbourne, Australia, just received my amp for a few days. Probably one of the first batch for down under lol!

Thankfully, my Wiim amp (PCB_Version: 5) is free from any of the HDMI ARC issues or noise related issue so far. Perhaps being a lesser prirority market for Wiim have some benefits for new products!

For those interested, here are my thoughts (Inc. screenshot of EQ pairing with KEF Q350 speakers) : KEF Q350 + Yamaha WXA-50 v KEF Q350 + Wiim Amp
Thanks for sharing, I think this is the first PCB_5 we have seen?

Brantome

Major Contributor

bcfc

Hi! After reading your review: So the miracle didn't happen in the sound part of the device "WIIM Amp" . The sound is muddy. I also have a Kef Q. So to the turbidity in the sound of the speakers will be added to the turbidity of the sound of the amplifier wiim. Sadly.
But I wanted to buy it, but the sound is also important. Now I don’t even know what to buy, just smsl ao300..

Last edited:

flor

Hi! After reading your review: So the miracle didn't happen in the sound part of the device "WIIM Amp" . The sound is muddy. I also have a Kef Q. So to the turbidity in the sound of the speakers will be added to the turbidity of the sound of the amplifier wiim. Sadly.
But I wanted to buy it, but the sound is also important. Now I don’t even know what to buy, just smsl ao300..
I wouldn’t attach any meaning to a subjective review. Wait for the measurements.

Top Bottom